The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workers » » Palming with small hands (11 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
me4
View Profile
New user
New york / Utah
11 Posts

Profile of me4
A lot of tricks I like involve palming. difficulty is I have relatively small hands and the card is usually visible underneath the hand I am using to palm it. any suggestions?
snushy
View Profile
Veteran user
338 Posts

Profile of snushy
A big part of palming is misdirection. The great Max Malini had tiny hands, but awesome misdirection and tremendous nerve.
YOU KNOW WHY YOU DON'T SEE? BECAUSE YOU DON'T WATCH! - SLYDINI
Ray J
View Profile
Inner circle
St. Louis, MO
1503 Posts

Profile of Ray J
Quote:
On Jun 14, 2022, me4 wrote:
A lot of tricks I like involve palming. difficulty is I have relatively small hands and the card is usually visible underneath the hand I am using to palm it. any suggestions?

Without knowing the specific effects I can offer some suggestions but some will depend on the effect. For example, there are alternative palms, Tenkai, Longitudinal, Lateral, Gambler's Cop, etc. which might work better for you.

And don't discount using bridge-sized playing cards. There is no rule which says you have to use Poker-sized decks. Jerry Andrus liked to use bridge cards and there are some magicians in the U.K. who favor them. They are 1/4" narrower and that might be enough to help prevent any leakage.
It's never crowded on the extra mile....
landmark
View Profile
Inner circle
within a triangle
5194 Posts

Profile of landmark
Don't worry too much about it. David Williamson I think it was pointed out that if the card sticks out of, say, your right palm let it stick outside on the thumb side because at a table you can rest your right forearm on the table and by angling your hand properly it can be hidden.
Ray J
View Profile
Inner circle
St. Louis, MO
1503 Posts

Profile of Ray J
We really need more info on exactly what the effects are which require palming. Landmark is correct that allowances can be made should the card not be completely hidden.
me4
View Profile
New user
New york / Utah
11 Posts

Profile of me4
The effect is a travelers routine. I used to use bridge cards however there are few gimmick decks in bridge size and it seems strange to the audience when you switch deck size in middle of a show.

I was specifically asking about a travelers routine however there are quite a few tricks I use palming for and I was wondering if there was a solution for all of them
Fedora
View Profile
Special user
Arizona, usa
750 Posts

Profile of Fedora
I have little girl hands myself, when I palm and I want to get away with
it, I use the following palm,

push the top card off the deck slightly to the right, catch it between the
right pinkie and ring finger, near the base, at the top right corner of the card,

Pull down slightly, and catch the card at the base of your thumb,
and bend the card holding it curved, pinched between the pinkie and thumb.

Although it is away from the hand a bit, it's still invisible from most angles,
it will fit just about any hand due to the curve, I don't recall the name of
this palm, so if any is aware feel free to remind me.
Mike Powers
View Profile
Inner circle
Midwest
2986 Posts

Profile of Mike Powers
Howie Schwarzman had very small hand and yet had a very deceptive classic palm. I think step one is finding a position on your palm where the card doens't stick out. If that's not possible with your hands, Tortuga's suggestion of letting it stick out a bit and angling your hand so it can't be seen.

Alternatives to a full palm are the Gambler's Cop and a Gambler's Flat palm and the palming techniques mentioned by Tortuga.

Here's Howie Schwarzman at the St. Louis Jubilee 1987. He executes a couple of classic passes and then palms and replaces the top card around 50 seconds in.

https://vimeo.com/manage/videos/194765213

Mike
Gennovense
View Profile
Regular user
113 Posts

Profile of Gennovense
Dennis Kim release "Ephemera" go through palming with small hands. However Gambler's Cop is a great option.
Nikodemus
View Profile
Inner circle
1174 Posts

Profile of Nikodemus
Quote:
On Jun 14, 2022, Fedora wrote:
I have little girl hands myself, when I palm and I want to get away with
it, I use the following palm,

push the top card off the deck slightly to the right, catch it between the
right pinkie and ring finger, near the base, at the top right corner of the card,

Pull down slightly, and catch the card at the base of your thumb,
and bend the card holding it curved, pinched between the pinkie and thumb.

I would describe may hands as medium, not tiny - but I can't hold a card "near the base" of my pinkie and ring finger. If I do that, I need to put my thumb at a funny angle to grip the other end of the card.
I catch the outer corner of the card in the crease of the last joint of my little finger. This allows me to hold the inner corner quite comfortably at the base of my thumb.
This means the card is about 1 inch further forward in my hand than Fedora's description.

PS. The OP has not actually said whether the card sticks out lengthways, sideways, is visible through the fingers, or he just has some bad angles.
disbelief
View Profile
New user
50 Posts

Profile of disbelief
I have always been two scared to palm cards. I have decent sized hands but they are narrow and I feel I can’t hold my hand naturally.
me4
View Profile
New user
New york / Utah
11 Posts

Profile of me4
Thanks to all of you. Fedora’s palm worked well for me. Nikodemus’s version worked even better. This has been very helpful. However my concern is that these two palms will damage my cards after just a few times
Ray J
View Profile
Inner circle
St. Louis, MO
1503 Posts

Profile of Ray J
Quote:
However my concern is that these two palms will damage my cards after just a few times

Shouldn't be a big problem. Time will tell, but most cards are pretty resilient. Happy to hear you had some success with a few of the suggestions. That's what is great about getting sincere input!
Fedora
View Profile
Special user
Arizona, usa
750 Posts

Profile of Fedora
This palm will put a diagonal bridge in the card, like any bend that doesn't crease, it will come
out with a couple of riffle shuffles, but over time it will lower the structural integrity of the cards.

All in all I haven't found that it damages the cards much.
Mb217
View Profile
Inner circle
9531 Posts

Profile of Mb217
Quote:
On Jun 14, 2022, Mike Powers wrote:
Howie Schwarzman had very small hand and yet had a very deceptive classic palm. I think step one is finding a position on your palm where the card doens't stick out. If that's not possible with your hands, Tortuga's suggestion of letting it stick out a bit and angling your hand so it can't be seen.

Alternatives to a full palm are the Gambler's Cop and a Gambler's Flat palm and the palming techniques mentioned by Tortuga.

Here's Howie Schwarzman at the St. Louis Jubilee 1987. He executes a couple of classic passes and then palms and replaces the top card around 50 seconds in.

Mike

That was awesome. Mike! 😁👍🏽
*Check out my latest: Gifts From The Old Country: A Mini-Magic Book, MBs Mini-Lecture on Coin Magic, The MB Tanspo PLUS, MB's Morgan, Copper Silver INC, Double Trouble, FlySki, Crimp Change - REDUX!, and other fine magic at gumroad.com/mb217magic Smile

"Believe in YOU, and you will see the greatest magic that ever was." -Mb Smile
Mike Powers
View Profile
Inner circle
Midwest
2986 Posts

Profile of Mike Powers
Howie was great. Very knowledgeable and great technique.

Mike
Chatterbox41
View Profile
Veteran user
Atlanta, Georgia
349 Posts

Profile of Chatterbox41
Quote:

When I began palming I thought my hands were too small, but my teacher had me place a card in the palm of my hand in position for palming and hold it, the theory being if I could conceal a card in my hand (tight as it was) the problem was getting it in that position.

I spent about a week or so getting used to holding a card in the palm of my hand so it became a natural feeling. After that I began working on getting the card into the palm… I would take a deck of cards and go through the deck twice so it was 104 palms a day.

Gary
Gennovense
View Profile
Regular user
113 Posts

Profile of Gennovense
Don't be scared to bend the card, if doing card to pocket you can "fix" the card while taking it out..same goes for other effects. Anyways...I feel this will be a topic forever even though a master technician like Ascanio said that tiny hands wasn't a excuse to not palm cards (he goes through this in one of his books).
BigTexas
View Profile
New user
San Diego, CA
51 Posts

Profile of BigTexas
Quote:
On Jun 14, 2022, Mike Powers wrote:

Mike

Mike, I could have never imagined enjoying that video as much as I did. Definetely demonstrates the sleights at such a high capacity and gives us something to aim for.
ChrisPayne
View Profile
Loyal user
UK
241 Posts

Profile of ChrisPayne
Regarding the Howie tape, notice the natural rest position back in his lap, with both hands gently resting together, natural rest positions that also conceal are an important part of the technique, particularly for smaller hands
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workers » » Palming with small hands (11 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL