The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » F/X » » R&B or RAP MUSIC (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
RideorDie99
View Profile
New user
80 Posts

Profile of RideorDie99
Does anyone do magic to R&B or Rap Music?
What kinda routines do you come up with?
STOP DROP SHUT THEM DOWN AND OPEN UP SHOP
g0thike
View Profile
Special user
722 Posts

Profile of g0thike
Greetings,

Personally I listen to New Wave, Goth and Industrial music think Criss Angel, I am Mr. Goth boy.

But I do a dove act to “gansta rap and r & b” music along with standard illusions such as a broom suspension, sub trunk, sword basket and audience participation bits. I learned how to talk “gansta and/or hip-hop” by renting movies such as “The Next Friday, 8 Mile, Boys In the Hood, Barber Shop” and watching the MTV show “Yo MTV Rap”.

You can basically do whatever you want to do, I would just find some “hip-hop” outfit, like a sports jacket, super baggy pants and cap. If your in downtown Los Angeles in the garment district check out the alley, you can pick up an outfit for about $100.00 bucks that included multiple layers of those big fake necklaces with spinners.

I would pick popular R & B songs like “Yeah” by Usher or Mary J Blige since most audiences have heard the songs plus they usually have some type of dance beat.

I would definitely dress hip-hop and not gansta rap. I tried gansta rap and it did not work.

I would also speak hip-hop, remember to use phrases like “what’s up dog, keep it real, word, hey player, you go girl”.

I also took some break dancing lessons so that I can do a “do as I do” dancing routine with 3 spectators. I mostly work comedy clubs with this act and have only done 2 stage shows.

Tim & Sue Ellis from Australia sell a six card repeat in rap that I have used, found at http://www.magicunlimited.com

If you don’t want to do a dove act I do recommend tailoring your jacket with dove pockets. In the past I have produced bags of heroin, beer bottles, guns, knifes and other objects just use wire and loops. For a good loop holder I recommend Dan Sperry's loop holder. His holder can be found at http://www.dansperry.com

Also my version of the “floating joint” gets a good reaction. See Steve Fearson's Floating Cigarette.

As a finally to my show I sometimes rap Ice Ice Baby by Vanilla Ice” it is available on Karaoke.

Anyhow hope my advice works but I would seriously post this in the manipulation and polly wants a cracker forum this is the E-FX.

G0THIKE
Natural Mystic
View Profile
Elite user
Atlanta, GA
496 Posts

Profile of Natural Mystic
GOTHIKE,

I found several of your comments laughable and stereotypical.

"you can pick up an outfit for about $100.00 bucks that included multiple layers of those big fake necklaces with spinners."

"I would also speak hip-hop, remember to use phrases like “what’s up dog, keep it real, word, hey player, you go girl”.

"In the past I have produced bags of heroin, beer bottles, guns, knifes and other objects just use wire and loops."

"I learned how to talk “gansta and/or hip-hop” by renting movies such as “The Next Friday, 8 Mile, Boys In the Hood, Barber Shop” and watching the MTV show “Yo MTV Rap”.

OK! Where do I start? Not all African-American speak using slang, do drugs or wear baggy clothing. African-Americans are more diverse and multi-faceted than movies, music videos or the media would portray us to be.

If you want to use Hip-Hop or R&B in your act, use it. If you really,"Want to keep it Real", be yourself and not some caricature of a supposed African-American. During otherwise, will make you look "Whack Homie".

I can't begin to tell you the un-believeable comments my daugthers have gotten, because they don't speak or act like stereotypical urban youth. In fact,I'm constructing a mentalism act based on preception/self-esteem for high school students, based on their experiences.

I live in Georgia, when one of my daugther's white girl friends introduced her to her parents, she said, "She is the whiteist black girl I have ever met".

I spent twenty years in the Army and have been retired for eight years. I've travelled to Africa twice, two countries in the Middle East and several countries in Europe; therefore, never judge a race of people by what you see in the media.

One Love!
"You never change the existing reality by
fighting it. Instead, create a new model that
makes the old one obsolete."
-- R. Buckminster Fuller
mdspark
View Profile
Special user
783 Posts

Profile of mdspark
Well said Natural Mystic....not to mention an act like that would have very narrow appeal...everyone is allowed to have their opinion...but in mine...BAAAAAD MOVE and damage to the Art.
g0thike
View Profile
Special user
722 Posts

Profile of g0thike
Natural Mystic,

You are assuming things about me, I was just sharing my personal experience, advice and what I do and have done.

First off, I am Mexican American and was raised in Compton and East Los Angeles as a kid, a lot of my neighbors, friends are Afro-American. I have performed magic for people like rapper Coolio, Lakers Center Shaquille O’neil, boxer Mohamed Ali and others. I am aware of the media portrayals and I don’t believe in them personally.

I only do my “Hip-Hop” act in comedy clubs in Los Angeles. In Los Angeles the “Latino Comedy” club shows are really stereotypical sorta like “Def Comedy Jam”. I would say that about half of the comedians that I work with are Afro-American. In those shows I use slangs and stereotypes and I do the effects that I talked about and the surprising thing is that the audience loves it and they relate to it.

A “Latino Comedy” club promoter once told me to do the magic show as a hip hopper because that is what the audience in those comedy shows relate to. I did go to downtown and I bought my whole outfit for about $100.00 bucks.

I do know the talk and walk of a hip hopper because my best friend as a kid was a hip hopper, then as a teenage I used to work doing magic at night clubs in clubs that played hip hop and r & b. So I also know the music and the lifestyle.

I can do my magic show to Nelly, Usher, or I can change outfits and do my show in Spanish and to the music of Enrique Iglesias, Heroes Del Silencio or mariachi music like La Son De La Negra, Harape Tapatio. But sometime I wear a tux with tails and do my act to classical music like Beethoven, Mozart. Last week I did a Hawaiian show and had to wear a grass skirt and I played some Polynesian music. In October I am doing my Gothic magic show to the music of Static X, Orgy and Sisters Of Mercy.

Believe me I tried doing my magic act in comedy clubs in a tuxedo but it bombed. I tried the standard magic effects but the audience didn’t buy it.

The “hip hop act” is a satire of Mexican Americans that are into Hip Hop. There is a whole movement of Hispanics rapping and wearing baggy jeans and jackets. You have to know the scene to know what I am talking about. It is Hispanics trying to be Afro-Americans.

But the good thing about the act, it has allowed me to work in venues that I would not be able to work in. I have made friends and shown certain promoters and comedians that magicians can put on a good show.

mspark wrote:
an act like that would have very narrow appeal...everyone is allowed to have their opinion...but in mine...BAAAAAD MOVE and damage to the Art.

What is damaging to the ART is having a narrow mind and not considering other performance pieces. In order for magic to evolve we have to modernize it. We have to perform magic in venues like “latino comedy clubs” that require a certain style of magic. Think about it. How much longer can we continue performing in a tux and tails.

But you are entitled to your opinion.

G0THIKE
Doug Higley
View Profile
V.I.P.
Here and There
7168 Posts

Profile of Doug Higley
"Last week I did a Hawaiian show and had to wear a grass skirt.."

If your 'act' is as entertaining as your posts, I can't wait to see it! Thanks for the smiles.

I only have the 'slightest' of arguments with doing a thing because it is what the audience 'relates' to...I always felt it was part of my job to 'expand their horizons' a bit...somewhat like what Natural Mystic has planned for his mentalist routine.

But hey as they so sagely used to say...'everything is everything.

Pretty entertaining and enlightening thread...hope it can continue.

Doug
http://LionPoint.com
Higley's Doug's Museum
g0thike
View Profile
Special user
722 Posts

Profile of g0thike
Doug Wrote:
I only have the 'slightest' of arguments with doing a thing because it is what the audience 'relates' to...I always felt it was part of my job to 'expand their horizons' a bit...

Doug,

Try selling a magic show wearing a tuxedo and tails to Persian people who are throwing a Persian themed party with belly dancers as entertainment.

I can honestly tell you that some of my clients are Persians and my assistant is an excellent belly dancer (she also does the hip-hop show with me) and I wear a modified Persian suit with dove pockets. I do “expand their horizon” by doing a good magic show but I would not get the job if I wasn’t dressed for the occasion. Of course I do the show to belly dancing music and I pick the appropriate material.

G0THIKE
Doug Higley
View Profile
V.I.P.
Here and There
7168 Posts

Profile of Doug Higley
I think what you are doing (except mabye for the Drug connotations) to be terrific stuff! Your costume/cleaning bill must be 'off the hook' (so to speak, pun intended) BUT...I think Persian people...at least the ones I know would get a kick out of the tails! If done in a retro 1930's type routine. Of course those tails would have to be 'tear away' at some stage of the act to compliment the 'Belly Dancer'. Anyway...good stuff.

I do some Voice Over for Persian TV (in English of course)and I'm glad they haven't asked me to take on an accent!

You mention Tails alot...I'm with you on that for any audience except maybe a cruise line...but only because I looked like Orson Wells in the outfit.

Doug
http://LionPoint.com
Higley's Doug's Museum
mdspark
View Profile
Special user
783 Posts

Profile of mdspark
As I said... Everyone is allowed to have an opinion.

Gothike
g0thike
View Profile
Special user
722 Posts

Profile of g0thike
Mdspark: If you read the post, I did say you can have an opinion, relax, this is just the internet and not real life.

Doug,

Thanks for your insight, I just had to defend myself and not sound racist in my above posts. I think my show is Ok but I keep making it better or (spending more money on stuff).

I just got a call today from someone about a “gypsy” themed party that they want me to perform at, it is not confirmed yet. But that means I have to find out what male gypsies wear.

My dry cleaning bill is small, my favorite tailor has a dry cleaning business so it is not that bad, since I do his children’s birthday parties and he does his magic with my stuff.

A buddy of mine also owns a costume rental shop in Sherman Oaks so I can also rent outfits, which I might do this time.

I do have a special magic vest with ¼ inch sponge in the extended shoulders, part of the upper chest and it has dove pockets. All I need is a jacket that is 4 sizes bigger than my size and I can do a dove act with any rented jacket and costume.

Some classic texts of magic call a magician, an actor playing the part of a magician. I consider myself an actor and entertainer. Maybe I do get carried away during my show but I have a few phrases that always stick to my head such as “Always keep them laughing”, the more they laugh, the more they like you. Another phrase I always remind myself of is “people go to shows to laugh and be entertained”, they don’t go out to get tricked and fooled.

Anyhow if my posts change the way someone thinks and they get more shows, I did my good deed for the day.

G0THIKE
Doug Higley
View Profile
V.I.P.
Here and There
7168 Posts

Profile of Doug Higley
GOTHIKE:

What's it all about?

The guests having fun and the act going home feeling good about the choices made on stage.

Oh and getting the check.

I like to change all the time...and it's for me more than the crowd.

I used to do a sideshow museum trailer and I took it to flea amarkets, fairs & circus etc....I kept getting cool ideas and would wind up re-painting the banners and re-designing the whole show and making new exhibits every couple of weeks! But it was fun! And all for me...the folks liked whatever I put up...so all the change and the scrambling to get a new show ready was my thing...that was the part I really enjoyed.

Maybe we have the same bug.

When you get to wearing a Gorilla Suit though...we'll bring out the couch and a pill.
Higley's Doug's Museum
Natural Mystic
View Profile
Elite user
Atlanta, GA
496 Posts

G0THIKE,

You wrote,

"You are assuming things about me"

You are correct and I apologize for prejudging you without knowing you or your experiences. Certain mainstream media stereotypes get under my skin which is why I responded the way I did previously. Your latter posts revealed that your act is light-hearted, satirical in nature and opening new doors of opportunity. Cool! Although, as artists I feel our acts should be structured in such a way as to not offend anyone.

darkrider

“I always felt it was part of my job to 'expand their horizons' a bit”

My goal in performing shows is to affect people at the emotional level, to cause them to “Think outside the box” or think beyond established belief patterns. I stated earlier I’m developing a mentalism act based on how people perceive reality. I explained the premise of my mentalism act with other parents and conscious members of my community, to gauge there reactions, based on my daughter’s experiences and why people react so differently to her. They responded very favorably.

One Love
-- R. Buckminster Fuller
Doug Higley
View Profile
V.I.P.
Here and There
7168 Posts

Profile of Doug Higley
Natural Mystic...Sounds good to me! Mentalism acts have that certain purity of performance that allows for so many shadings and revelations.

And...you don't have to move a 1/2 ton of equipt!

Being inqusitive to a fault...were you able to locate many "conscious members of (your) community? Or is that the Illusion? Smile
Higley's Doug's Museum
mdspark
View Profile
Special user
783 Posts

Profile of mdspark
Gothike,

Sorry...didnt mean to burst your eardrums...the way you were carrying on...I thought you had forgotten this was the internet...sorry I acted so...gettoh ( or however the hell you spell it!)
BronxRican
View Profile
New user
bronx ny
25 Posts

Profile of BronxRican
Wow go0thike you really makin me laugh man. me living as a puertorican in the bronx I find your comments funny as hell. you cant really "act" ghetto or learn to use slang by renting movies with african american actors. you just have to live it. around here a gun shot is like a knock on the door. just because youre performin in a minority based area doesn't mean you have to try and "fit" in to get them to like you. sobe yourself ;D
Imagination is the one weapon in the war against reality.
g0thike
View Profile
Special user
722 Posts

Profile of g0thike
BronxRican.

A magician is an ACTOR playing the role of a magician. Read the book “Magic and Showmanship” by Nelms or Wood Pitman’s ‘The Big Picture”. It’ll help you form your persona and/or character on stage.

Every one of my characters do include part of myself. I honestly feel that I have successfully done an act to hip-hop and rap music. That I know of, I am the only person doing such a show. I am not wrong in performing as such a character.

I dare you to perform magic dressed in a tuxedo in a Latino Comedy show, once you see the crowd and hear the comedy, you will understand why I do the things I do.

I did learn funny lines from watching movies but I also know a lot from being in the scene. Anyone can watch a movie and learn a character.

Yes, you do have to try to “fit” in. When you show up for a black tie affair you dress in a tux, when you show up for a luau, you wear Polynesian attire.

G0THIKE
mdspark
View Profile
Special user
783 Posts

Profile of mdspark
If you perform in a strip club do you perform in your undies?

In my previous career, I worked in a prison for nearly 10yrs... Why on earth one would want to appeal to "Homies in the Ghettos" as a culture and niche market is beyond me...unless it is the only place one can find to perform...
g0thike
View Profile
Special user
722 Posts

Profile of g0thike
MDSPARK,

Lance Burton (las Vegas Monte Carlo) used to work at the "Body Shop" strip club in Los Angeles and that is a fellow magician from your part of the country. The owner of that strip club is a huge magic fan and he hired magicians in between girls.

Some of my work is from niche markets. In between the coporate shows, the better paying party events, I work the niche markets. I find nothing wrong with performing for people that you labled "Homies in the Ghetto" not unless you a little racist.

But if you look around Hip Hop music is mainstream. I have performed for Homies in the Ghettos and they do pay my fee so they get my show.

I have also peformed for politicians, movie stars, the Itlian mafia, Mexican mafia, drug dealers, Los Angeles Lakers and others, but they pay my fee.

G0THIKE
Natural Mystic
View Profile
Elite user
Atlanta, GA
496 Posts

Darkrider,

Being inqusitive to a fault...were you able to locate many "conscious members of (your) community? Or is that the Illusion?

The term "conscious members of my community" meant that
there are Black parents here in Atlanta that belong to various community organizations. We are tired of the mainstream media stereotypes and reject those negative images. I know Latino parents have similar views.

As magicians and mentalists, I think we have a extraordinary tool to affect social change in our communties,if we choose to. I consider myself to be a "Mental Activist". Like they say in the Air Force commercials,"Aim High".

That's what Bill Cosby does in his television shows and stand-up acts. Bill Cosby recently caused an up-roar with airing "dirty laundry" about some disadvanagted communties.

Here's an interview of him on NPR.

One Love!
-- R. Buckminster Fuller
mdspark
View Profile
Special user
783 Posts

Profile of mdspark
GOTHIKE,

Yes, I have had conversations with Lance on many occassions in Louisville....I guess the humor of my statment about strip clubs went over your head...

"Hip Hop" maybe "mainstream" now...just as Disco was once mainstream... But this fad too, shall pass....LOL.

I am clueless how you could draw the conclusion that I may be 'racist' because I used YOUR quote about "Homies in the Ghetto." Perhaps you are, shall we say, a bit sensative/defensive?

You say you perform for these niche markets between more lucrative corporate gigs as well as a myriad of other characters including but not limited to politicians, actors, mafia.... If you are that busy...how could you find time for such a small niche market...unless you are desparate for work.

The week or so I have off each month, I devote to developing new routines and marketing. I will gladly leave the 'niche' markets to you. When I want to endanger my safety and compromise my performance standards, I will go back to performing for prison inmates.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » F/X » » R&B or RAP MUSIC (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.28 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL