The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » F/X » » R&B or RAP MUSIC (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
Doug Higley
View Profile
V.I.P.
Here and There
7168 Posts

Profile of Doug Higley
Natural Mystic, thanks...we're on the same page.

Maintain equilibrium, that's a BIG rabbit to pull out out of a hat...if you get my drift.

Doug.
Higley's Doug's Museum
g0thike
View Profile
Special user
722 Posts

Profile of g0thike
Mdspark,

You are ignorant in thinking that magicians shouldn’t market to niche markets. You have to realize that a lot of members in this Café live in poor neighborhoods and/or are from minority races and may listen to hip hop and/or rap. A lot of decent people live in ghettos and listen to hip hop music, maybe since you worked at a jail you have different experiences, but your remarks seem racists. The cost of living, or rent in major cities is ridiculous and many decent people can only afford housing in neighborhoods classified as “ghettos”. Do I market to this niche, yes I do, do others in the Café, I like to think so.

David Copperfield has a hip hop duck called Webster in his show, I can also name other magicians that use hip hop music. I have an assistant that makes a living off my shows and she is doing pretty well. I am not desperate for work as you imply. I just have clients from all backgrounds, rich and poor and they request which show they want performed. It is none of my business what they do for a living, their criminal records or that they are an A list celebrity. I have NEVER endangered my assistant, animals or myself. Just because you perform at a minority party, ghetto and such, does not mean that you are going to get shot, hurt or have your equipment stolen. As a matter of fact after the show I usually get invited to stick around at the party and people offer themselves to help me reload my equipment.

This past weekend I performed at a lower-middle class wedding for people from Cuban background, I did my Salsa music magic show. I also sang a Celia Cruz song and I got more bookings off that show.

In the year 2023 Hispanics, one of the niche groups I market to will become the majority race (general market) in the United States according to some statistic. In Los Angeles, the majority race (general market) is Hispanics, and I market to them. I am not sure the statistics of other ethnic groups.

Hip Hop and rap are not my favorite music but the music has reached the mainstream and it is staying just like country music. I do perform random hip hop magic shows and yes I have done hip hop magic shows to underprivileged kids, I just pick more appropriate material and music without foul language, I just do the more controversial material for adults in comedy clubs.

Honestly the kids love my show since I use music they can relate to and I also leave them with positive messages. Am I wrong for marketing to this “niche” market, but I have thousands of people who will say otherwise.

I AM NOT GOING TO REPLY TO YOU IN THIS THREAD AGAIN.
mdspark
View Profile
Special user
783 Posts

Profile of mdspark
Gothike
I don't have a problem with what and where you decide to perform and market...Its your act, your market, your business, and your life.

But, mark my works, Hip Hop and rap will go the way of disco, techno pop, glam and other sub-genres of popular music... It may last longer than disco or whatever but that is irrelevant... It will become passe and not have the staying power of classic rock, jazz, country, etc..... Rap wont stay because it is not music..it is the primative chanting poetry by singer wanna bees, LOL...

But, in away that too is irrelevant...there were magicians appealing to the disco crowd in the 70's...Ok, so Hip Hop is currently topical. I can see how you could use it to appeal to a certain population.
Have fun and enjoy!

I still don't see how my remarks seem "racist"..Incase you didn't know, prisons (even here in Ky where I worked) are full with a diversity of races...Caucasion, African American, Hispanic, even some Asians and many blends inbetween!...In my book, gutter slang is gutter slang no matter who's mouth it comes out of as well as horridly improper English. It denotes an uncaring attitude toward society and a lack of self respect. It also strongly suggests, the persons in question couldn't care less about educating themselves.

I too perform for lower income folks here in the "hollers" of eastern Ky with my birthday party shows...yes I use music and guess what? ITS NOT COUNTRY OR BLUEGRASS that most in east ky love...and guess what...they still love my show and I get invited back for next year. Oh, and many times they say something to the effect, "That was real perty music you used in the floatin ball trick, I aint never heard none like that before!"

And, I don't use incorrect english or slang either! Yet, they still love the show and because I relate to them as people, NOT a social/economic niche! No, I don't wear tails but I don't wear bib-overalls just because they are!!! And,I am telling you, these are HARDCORE country/bluegrass music people!!!

Personally, I see no purpose or need to appeal to the lowest common denominator...but as I said..it is YOUR business, your image, enjoy!

Mdspark
"Keepin it real for the Homies in the Hollers - see ya'll later!"
TK Astound
View Profile
New user
2 Posts

Profile of TK Astound
I think that if you are on a stage or in a theatre doing a magic act to R&B/Hip Hop music, you should use the instrumental versions of the songs. For example, Lose Yourself by Eminem would work great even without the words. If you do use the words, then you have to make your magic act have a connection with the lyrics of the song. In the song Lose Yourself, it goes "I want to lose myself in the music, the moment...etc" For this you could do a trick which involves vanishing something or someone, aka losing someone. In conclusion, BE CREATIVE.
TK Astound - Magician & Mystifier
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » F/X » » R&B or RAP MUSIC (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.13 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL