The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Boxes, tubes & bags » » Jonathan Neale's Multiplying Bottles (14 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
TStone
View Profile
V.I.P.
Stockholm, Sweden
774 Posts

Profile of TStone
Jonathan Neale's Multiplying Bottles
The original "Multiplying Bottles" was created in Chicago by Arthur P. Felsman in the 1920's.

Since Ken Brooke's routine in the 1950's, there haven't been much evolution happening. Not until 2009, when I published my manuscript "Moonshine Monologues", where I described several of my innovations with the plot. For years, I was pretty cocky and self-assured that I represented the cutting edge of the plot...

... Then I saw Jonathan Neale's work...

Jonathan's work on the plot blew everything I had done right out of the water. Chock-full of innovations, clever gambits and bold deceptions. Just breathtaking. Original on a level that made me think "He'll never share that! That is work he'll take to the grave."

Well, turns out that I was wrong. Jonathan have decided to share his work on the plot.
It should be required reading for anyone interested in the Bottles, or in parlor magic in general.

More info

And as a preview, this is an older version of his routine, from 2008 - 14 years ago - but it gives a hint of the amount of cleverness involved.

The manuscript is 40 pages long, and with 66 photos and illustrations... plus an addendum!
The format is soft covers: 8.5' x 7"
If you want to buy the manuscript, Jonathan sell it for $30.00 ( +postage $5.00 via USPS in the USA).

If you are interested, send a PM to Jonathan.

Click here to view attached image.
Ray Pierce
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Angeles, CA
2604 Posts

Profile of Ray Pierce
Tom, I couldn’t agree more. There is SO much insanely clever work in this it still amazes me o watch after all of these years. The set up, the loads, the count, the expanding box at the end with the “15 Bottles” reminder for the audience... it’s a winner on every level. I likewise never thought he would release this as it is a master class in deception AND showmanship from a true legend.
Ray Pierce
JNeal
View Profile
Inner circle
I used to have 999 posts, now I have
1623 Posts

Profile of JNeal
Thankyou both for the kind words and unequalled support!
visit me @ JNealShow.com
illusions & reality
View Profile
Special user
Saskatoon, SK, CANADA
859 Posts

Profile of illusions & reality
I love when 2 brilliant magicians not only freely and publicly compliment one another’s work, but share where one can find the other’s work. Tom and Jonathan are each phenomenal stage performers and I’m grateful anytime they share what they have learned and perfected.

Thank you both!

Lou
Harry Murphy
View Profile
Inner circle
Maryland
5445 Posts

Profile of Harry Murphy
I jumped on this release! The manuscript is well produced (as one would expect from Jonathan), clearly written, and profusely illustrated (plenty of photos). Now to get busy, study it, learn it, and adapt it to me.
The artist formally known as Mumblepeas!
JNeal
View Profile
Inner circle
1623 Posts

Profile of JNeal
Thanks Harry!

If you have any questions, don't hesitate to let me know!
visit me @ JNealShow.com
hugmagic
View Profile
Inner circle
7665 Posts

Profile of hugmagic
Yes, it is a great routine. I have always liked it.
I have not done the bottles for years. Just a little more than I want to haul sometimes. But it is still a solid piece of entertainment. I guess I should dig them out again. I think I have two or maybe three sets.
As good as the Ken Brooke routine is, I get tired of seeing people doing the same exact routine over and over. Jonathan's is a stop above. And yes, I also have Tom's routine which is also pretty good.
As I said, I guess I am a little lazy besides feathers are lighter.
Richard E. Hughes, Hughes Magic Inc., 352 N. Prospect St., Ravenna, OH 44266 (330)296-4023
www.hughesmagic.com
email-hugmagic@raex.com
Write direct as I will be turning off my PM's.
JNeal
View Profile
Inner circle
1623 Posts

Profile of JNeal
Thanks Richard for the kind words!
While the Brooke routine is a good starting place, I realized more could be done.
then I looked at John Moehring's ideas in his thin but valuable book: A texan Trixter'.
He had a couple of notions that I adopted and adapted.

Fro there, it was 'off to the races'!
visit me @ JNealShow.com
Leo-Kim
View Profile
Veteran user
359 Posts

Profile of Leo-Kim
I recieved the manuscript the other day. Great read with lots of information - even How to build the table!
Only problem for me.: I have two sets of five (Tora?). Now I have to get three sets of three Smile

Mikael Johansson
Sweden
If it's worth doing, it's worth doing well (Donald Duck)
JNeal
View Profile
Inner circle
1623 Posts

Profile of JNeal
Leo! glad you like it. My routine though.. requires 4 stacks of three bottles!
visit me @ JNealShow.com
FrankFindley
View Profile
Inner circle
1040 Posts

Profile of FrankFindley
Quote:
On Sep 30, 2022, JNeal wrote:
Leo! glad you like it. My routine though.. requires 4 stacks of three bottles!

Yes, indeed. You need four stacks of three to produce 15 bottles. That is magic math! Smile

If you haven't got this manuscript, get it! It really is a terrific routine! But even more so, the thinking on use of table, subtleties, prop setup, etc. can enhance any multiplying bottle act. I've been wanting to do a transformation at the end of my routine inspired by Carisa Hendrix's "ice cream sundae" ending (though not with a Sundae). But I wasn't in love with the common methods employed for various practical concerns. But JNeal's table approach #1 (yes, he details prop management for TWO different styles of tables) looks to be a perfect solution for me. When I first saw his routine I thought to myself, that is some serious devilish [or maybe Duval-ish Smile] thinking...so clever!
JNeal
View Profile
Inner circle
1623 Posts

Profile of JNeal
Thanks Frank! When I developed that table and it's secrets... I hadn't read Duval's Silk manuscript... but he is one of my favorite underrated performers.

the Mignon principle is one of those concepts that is not explored or exploited nearly enough... Again... my thanks for the endorsement!
visit me @ JNealShow.com
Jef Eaton
View Profile
Special user
526 Posts

Profile of Jef Eaton
I have to admit, that routine is the best multiplying
bottles trick I ever saw. Quick, entertaining, and puzzling as heck. Great job.
kandumagic.com
<BR>jjeaton@aol.com
<BR>Creator of what my Mom thinks are the funniest kid show props around!
JNeal
View Profile
Inner circle
1623 Posts

Profile of JNeal
Thank you too, Jeff! I am so pleased when my fellow magicians enjoy my magic... but I conceived it to work mostly for laymen! It has a great build: starting simple and building in energy and humor until the finish.
visit me @ JNealShow.com
Magic Mark
View Profile
Inner circle
After this post I will have
1527 Posts

Profile of Magic Mark
Jonathan, Any chance you will be performing your multiplying bottles during your run at Marvyn's Magic Theater on December 1-3?

Mark
Doing tricks can be easy, being an entertainer is much harder.
JNeal
View Profile
Inner circle
1623 Posts

Profile of JNeal
Most definitely! I'd like to phase it out of my show, but the reality is that it is too strong to not include!
visit me @ JNealShow.com
Magic Mark
View Profile
Inner circle
After this post I will have
1527 Posts

Profile of Magic Mark
Jonathan, Excellent! I look forward to seeing it then (Dec 1). Drinks on me!

Out of curiosity, which manufacturer made your bottles? Also, very clever to use the collapsible cardboard "box" to keep the bottles safe as you move the table.

Mark
Doing tricks can be easy, being an entertainer is much harder.
JNeal
View Profile
Inner circle
1623 Posts

Profile of JNeal
My bottles are the now discontinued: Herb Morrissey of Canada. I bought those bottles because they were available and later learned that they are generic in shape enough to represent spirits, wine or even a coke bottle!
visit me @ JNealShow.com
Rainboguy
View Profile
Inner circle
1915 Posts

Profile of Rainboguy
I always thought that Denny Haney had THE BEST multiplying bottles routine I had ever seen until I saw yours, JNeal. With Paul Daniels' routine coming in at a VERY close second.

That is, until now!

Your routine is, in my opinion, A THING OF BEAUTY, utilizing your mastery of "THE BUILD", "TIMING", "ENERGY" and "BODY LANGUAGE" all so skillfully blended into a totally satisfying and entertaining routine.

BRAVO!
JNeal
View Profile
Inner circle
1623 Posts

Profile of JNeal
Thanks so much for that kind endorsement. It was a lot of work and a lot of fun creating the routine... but putting it into print was a labor of love.... so much detail !

I'm glad yo enjoyed it. Several people have bought the manuscript and are planning on putting it in their shows... I can hardly wait to see the result!
visit me @ JNealShow.com
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Boxes, tubes & bags » » Jonathan Neale's Multiplying Bottles (14 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL