The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workers » » What are must have's for cards across ? (4 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
warren
View Profile
Inner circle
uk
3595 Posts

Profile of warren
I really like the cards across plot but have never found a version that both suits my style and my requirements, as such I'm now working on two different handlings of my own in the hope that I'll be able to add this classic to my repertoire.

My question is what do you consider to be vital to a good cards across to be used in a close up situation ie

Should the spectator choose a card to indicate how many cards should travel across or do you just choose how many cards will travel yourself ?

Adding to the above do you prefer to have selected cards, thought of cards travel across or no cards thought of or selected just a random 3 cards etc ?

Do you have the spectator count all the cards themselves ?

Adding to the above if using a strange count such as the Las Vegas Count used in the Paul Harris effect do you think it's important that there should be consistancy meaning all the cards should be counted that way throughout rather than just once ?

Do you prefer to use the standard two piles of ten cards or do you prefer to use fewer or more cards ?

How many cards do you prefer to have travel across ?

Do you prefer to use a variation that uses a palm or a none palm version ?

Adding to the above if palming is your prefered method at which point is it vital to be able to show your hands to be empty, for example I like to be clean between the two counts so that it doesn't appear possible that I could have stolen cards from the first pile and added them to the second pile ?

Do you prefer to use just one spectator or two ie you make the cards travel from one spectators pile to the other spectators pile or you make the cards travel to the spectators pile of cards ?
Zauberman
View Profile
Loyal user
298 Posts

Profile of Zauberman
Hi Warren.
I'll just add my thoughts....having performed the trick for well over 4 decades...in every condition from close-up to on the street busking.

First off, it is IMHO one of the best card tricks/routines ever. It has always got superb reactions.

When I started out I would have a card selected (forced) and use that number. After some time, I ditched that as I felt it really adds very little to the effect from a laymans point of view. I just tell 3 cards.

For the last 25 years or so I have used 2 phases. 1st, I use Paul Harris's idea as in Las Vegas Leaper.
I count 10 cards one at a time slowly face down on the table..explaining it's how most people count cards.
I then pick them up and proceed with Harris's idea,

The 2nd phase I simply add 3 palmed cards they just counted, pushing them towards them.

That's it for the mechanics. Nothing more needed IMHO.

However, what I've added and believe adds to the effect is making each card go across one at a time. It's the banter and the silliness that makes it an even better effect. That's something that has to be basically worked out to suit your personality and environment. There's a lot of fun to be had without mudding the effect. I usually use a female and have the cards covered with both hands in her hands.

That just my experience, others I'm sure have other ways. In any case, I advise anyone to get it in their repertoire because it is an absolute killer for me over the years.
warren
View Profile
Inner circle
uk
3595 Posts

Profile of warren
Hey Zauberman thanks for your input it's much appreciated, have you always used the Las Vegas leaper handling or have you switched over to that method after trial and error ?
martyjacobs
View Profile
Inner circle
Essex, UK
1293 Posts

Profile of martyjacobs
I'm a fan of the classic approach; I like the method David Devant published. Here's a great performance by Hannibal (the method is slightly different):

I'm also fond of Paul Rossini's "A Card in Flight" (Paul Rosini's Magical Gems, 1950, pg. 14). Steve Valentine has a good tutorial for it:

Learn "A Card in Flight"

It breaks a lot of the "rules" of Cards Across. Only one card travels, and it reappears face-up in the destination packet. It is a wonderful routine. It proves that the number of cards that jump across is not important.
warren
View Profile
Inner circle
uk
3595 Posts

Profile of warren
Thanks for sharing Marty, I'm working on a handling that uses the exact same method as Hannibal used in that performance but use a different force for choosing the number of cards that travel.

I also working on a version of Las Vegas Leaper that uses two decks of cards which gives a reason for the strange count used at the beginning of the effect.

Unfortunately the link didn't work for me to check out Steve Valentine's handling.
Claudio
View Profile
Inner circle
Europe
1752 Posts

Profile of Claudio
Try this: A Card in Flight.
martyjacobs
View Profile
Inner circle
Essex, UK
1293 Posts

Profile of martyjacobs
Thanks for fixing the link, Claudio. That's the tutorial I was suggesting people take a look at.

Marty
Claudio
View Profile
Inner circle
Europe
1752 Posts

Profile of Claudio
My pleasure, Marty. Thanks for the link. Incidentally, I don't care for the handling (where one has one's hands all over the packets practically throughout) but I did not know this version so it was informative.
Wravyn
View Profile
Inner circle
2709 Posts

Profile of Wravyn
I only have one card that crosses over, but it is a signed and selected card.
warren
View Profile
Inner circle
uk
3595 Posts

Profile of warren
Thanks Claudia that link worked perfect,I really liked the card vanish thanks for sharing Marty
dj
View Profile
Inner circle
1018 Posts

Profile of dj
Shimshi's "10-13-20" (Cards Across) is also very good.
warren
View Profile
Inner circle
uk
3595 Posts

Profile of warren
Quote:
On Aug 3, 2022, dj wrote:
Shimshi's "10-13-20" (Cards Across) is also very good.

What is it that makes it good in your opinion?
Zauberman
View Profile
Loyal user
298 Posts

Profile of Zauberman
I'll just add a couple things in my experience.
I use to do cards across several times a day where I performed at a Tourist Place.
Gave me time/opportunity to experiment.
I was into sleeving....so would sleeve 3 cards R. sleeve, to start. Have the spectator count 10 cards face down onto L. hand.
Around the 8th card my R.hand would drop to side and retrieve cards into tenkai.
Then I would turn add the 3 cards while turning packet face up and giving (now 13 with bottom 3 opposite facing) packet to spectator for Las Vegas leaper count.
Worked great, fooled the heck out of magicians.....but in the end impractical because in the summer heat the cards tend to stick to the arm when sleeved (tried everything from talcum powder to nylon stocking on forearm. Way to much time on my hands obviously LOL).
Great topic, keep the discussion going Smile
will lane
View Profile
Veteran user
Will likes to post so he has made
339 Posts

Profile of will lane
For Cards Across, I think simplicity is key for it's success. Strange counting methods, odd movements, complicated instructions, etc... all have the potential to lessen the effect of the trick. What should happen, in the spectator's mind, is 1) that they counted the cards they gave to themselves, 2) held those cards in their hands, and 3) the magician made X number of cards appear in the spectator's cards, without going near them.

This is the version I base my execution on, it's in Royal Road if I'm correct. The built-in misdirection makes all the "sneaky" work invisible, and that's a huge part of why this trick works so well. In the spectator's mind, it's flawlessly clean.
JBSmith1978
View Profile
Veteran user
NY
370 Posts

Profile of JBSmith1978
Sausage links.
warren
View Profile
Inner circle
uk
3595 Posts

Profile of warren
Quote:
On Aug 3, 2022, will lane wrote:
For Cards Across, I think simplicity is key for it's success. Strange counting methods, odd movements, complicated instructions, etc... all have the potential to lessen the effect of the trick. What should happen, in the spectator's mind, is 1) that they counted the cards they gave to themselves, 2) held those cards in their hands, and 3) the magician made X number of cards appear in the spectator's cards, without going near them.

This is the version I base my execution on, it's in Royal Road if I'm correct. The built-in misdirection makes all the "sneaky" work invisible, and that's a huge part of why this trick works so well. In the spectator's mind, it's flawlessly clean.

Thanks for your input, I believe the biggest plus to the Royal Road method is there tends to be less counting involved which can makes the effect less boring regarding the amount of counting done.
Nikodemus
View Profile
Special user
787 Posts

Profile of Nikodemus
For me, the most important aspect is that the spectators must have no doubt about the validity of the packet sizes. Generally I would say this means the spectator, rather than the magician, must do the counting. Also they must be allowed to count in a way that does not arouse suspicion. The drop-to-table count in Will's example is perfectly justified because it really does make the count clear and fair (and is done by the spectator). There is a subtle ulterior motive - but it is NOT a false count.
Personally I don't like Paul Harris's "Las Vegas" count because it seems too fishy to me. Spectators may be too polite to say anything, but I am sure it arouses suspicion in some of them.
David Blaine does a pretty good job of justifying it here - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z8Ws4PEky28
But my opinion is there are better alternatives.

David Solomon uses a clever approach in THOUGHTS ACROSS -
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gh_lfPdEnlM
The spectator counts out 20 cards. David then shows them 10 in a face-up spread. Since there are 10 in that group, there is no need to count the other group. I think this is a nice subtlety.
This guy exploits the same assumption, but with a completely different method -
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7VKL86r2EtU

I like JAMES BROWN's version (performed by Craig Petty (23.50))
It is impromptu. Two thought-of cards travel across one-by-one. The second transition is particularly clean I think.
[NB. Craig has made a couple of minor changes. eg adding the rub-away (?) vanish)

I also like the use of envelopes. It makes the effect seem harder while actually making it easier.
David Garrard's handling is nice -
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vyosnr1Azhk

PS. I don't think counting is inherently boring. It depends on the effect. If the magic is all about cards travelling from A to B, then counting should be quite exciting. This is different from the counting in a procedure-heavy trick.
dj
View Profile
Inner circle
1018 Posts

Profile of dj
Quote:
On Aug 4, 2022, Nikodemus wrote:

David Blaine does a pretty good job of justifying it here - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z8Ws4PEky28

This Cards Across routine is exactly the version of Shimshi I mentioned above.
This is Shimshi's "10-13-20".
Nikodemus
View Profile
Special user
787 Posts

Profile of Nikodemus
Hi dj - thanks for clarifying.

Returning to Warren's original question, regarding what are the must-haves of CA - I find the "vanilla" Royal Road version to be a bit lacking. Having two counted packets (a From and a To packet) makes it a bit more interesting, but not much. The versions with more of a wow factor always seem to have "something" extra. It could be an extra phase. Or it could be that the cards transported are selected/signed/thought-of. Or it could be different colour backs (eg Red See Passover).

10-13-20 is brilliant in that regard, because the 7 seems to be a totally free choice.
warren
View Profile
Inner circle
uk
3595 Posts

Profile of warren
Thanks for sharing Nikodemus, I wasn't to keen on David Soloman's version but I did like the second version using the same clever ploy as David where one spectator doesn't need to count the cards.
The subtlety where it's assumed that the spectator has a certain number of cards is something I haven't come across before but it's obviously very deceptive and definitely worth exploring.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workers » » What are must have's for cards across ? (4 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2022 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.04 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL