The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » Star Map by Lewis Le Val - 100% Propless & Impromptu Star Sign Divination (51 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3 [Next]
LewisLeVal
View Profile
Regular user
131 Posts

Profile of LewisLeVal
Hi again mate, I'm definitely not here to argue with you either, just to discuss the routine and review!

This is why I mentioned these points, because in your review you said that the hand to hand contact cannot be removed when it can. Just as an example here's a way of doing that which I sometimes do: I've done an Acidus Novus peek and they are left holding the folded billet. I ask them to hold it in one of their hands and imagine the stars surrounding their closed fist, continuing with Star Map as usual before revealing the information I p**ked in a similar looking way.

Yes you are asking them if you have named their sign (in a way that makes sense to the presentation) after naming a bunch of signs out loud. You are not asking them directly about their sign until it's time for the reveal whereas with a PA you're asking them directly about their sign from start to finish. In your review it seems that with Star Map you are constantly asking them directly about their sign which isn't the case.

With a PA you have to remember the letters along with (in most cases) two signs for each of the letters. With Star Map you are remembering which signs belong to each of the four seasons, and there are only three signs in each one. When compared to a PA you are still remembering the same amount of information, (twelve signs) just in a different layout.

It only seems easy for me because I've taken the time to learn and familiarise myself with it. It would be the same for anyone else willing to learn it. Fishing with letters doesn't equal anagram just because you're using letters. One thing an anagram won't let you do is tell them the exact position of the letter you are trying to pick up on before you throw it out. It's as simple as "Think of the first letter of your sign" then you throw out a letter (which you don't need to have memorised beforehand) then this will either tell you exactly what their sign is for you to reveal instantly, or you'll hit on the letter straight away, meaning you can then do the same with the last letter for an instant reveal. that's it. It's far easier for a Sagittarius to see the first and/or last letters of their sign than it is for them to mentally scan the word for the letters you're throwing out in a PA.

When you begin a PA, you have 12 signs infront of you. When it comes to the letter portion of Star Map, you only have 3 signs in front of you. Then you don't run the risk of a spectator miss-spelling their sign or afterwards trying to consider what other signs have or don't have the letters you threw out. Star Map also stops other spectators from being able to follow along mentally with their own sign.

I'm not trying to replace PA's, I am simply offering an alternative with a far more engaging presentation built in (not to say that PA's can't be engaging, absolutely they can be, but most don't use them in such a way). I agree that people need to decide for themselves what they are more comfortable with, it's the only reason I jumped on to clarify some of the points you made Smile

That's interesting regarding people knowing the image associated with their sign. I've found it to be the opposite. Unless they're into astrology to some extent, they don't know centaur for Sagittarius, virgin for Virgo, water bearer for Aquarius, etc.

I'm glad you like the handling of Star Map in my hands! I think others willing to learn it will also be able to perform it well and from what I've seen so far, they're doing great!

Much love!
LewisLeVal
View Profile
Regular user
131 Posts

Profile of LewisLeVal
Using my Mystic Touch from Revelations along with Star Map, you have an even stronger demonstration of propless mentalism, without any physical contact.

Ask them to hold out their hand palm up and imagine all of the stars from the sky in the palm of their hand. Guide them through the visualisation to create a point of focus/energy. Then bring your hand closer to theirs allowing them to feel and confirm that they can feel your presence or 'aura touch' as I like to call it. Then as you take your hand away, it's as if you took some of that focus/energy/thought manifestation with you, for you to then reveal their sign!
252life
View Profile
Inner circle
Ninth Circle, Hades
3253 Posts

Profile of 252life
Quote:
On Aug 15, 2022, LewisLeVal wrote:
Hi again mate, I'm definitely not here to argue with you either, just to discuss the routine and review!

This is why I mentioned these points, because in your review you said that the hand to hand contact cannot be removed when it can. Just as an example here's a way of doing that which I sometimes do: I've done an Acidus Novus peek and they are left holding the folded billet. I ask them to hold it in one of their hands and imagine the stars surrounding their closed fist, continuing with Star Map as usual before revealing the information I p**ked in a similar looking way.

Yes you are asking them if you have named their sign (in a way that makes sense to the presentation) after naming a bunch of signs out loud. You are not asking them directly about their sign until it's time for the reveal whereas with a PA you're asking them directly about their sign from start to finish. In your review it seems that with Star Map you are constantly asking them directly about their sign which isn't the case.

With a PA you have to remember the letters along with (in most cases) two signs for each of the letters. With Star Map you are remembering which signs belong to each of the four seasons, and there are only three signs in each one. When compared to a PA you are still remembering the same amount of information, (twelve signs) just in a different layout.

It only seems easy for me because I've taken the time to learn and familiarise myself with it. It would be the same for anyone else willing to learn it. Fishing with letters doesn't equal anagram just because you're using letters. One thing an anagram won't let you do is tell them the exact position of the letter you are trying to pick up on before you throw it out. It's as simple as "Think of the first letter of your sign" then you throw out a letter (which you don't need to have memorised beforehand) then this will either tell you exactly what their sign is for you to reveal instantly, or you'll hit on the letter straight away, meaning you can then do the same with the last letter for an instant reveal. that's it. It's far easier for a Sagittarius to see the first and/or last letters of their sign than it is for them to mentally scan the word for the letters you're throwing out in a PA.

When you begin a PA, you have 12 signs infront of you. When it comes to the letter portion of Star Map, you only have 3 signs in front of you. Then you don't run the risk of a spectator miss-spelling their sign or afterwards trying to consider what other signs have or don't have the letters you threw out. Star Map also stops other spectators from being able to follow along mentally with their own sign.

I'm not trying to replace PA's, I am simply offering an alternative with a far more engaging presentation built in (not to say that PA's can't be engaging, absolutely they can be, but most don't use them in such a way). I agree that people need to decide for themselves what they are more comfortable with, it's the only reason I jumped on to clarify some of the points you made Smile

That's interesting regarding people knowing the image associated with their sign. I've found it to be the opposite. Unless they're into astrology to some extent, they don't know centaur for Sagittarius, virgin for Virgo, water bearer for Aquarius, etc.

I'm glad you like the handling of Star Map in my hands! I think others willing to learn it will also be able to perform it well and from what I've seen so far, they're doing great!

Much love!

Just to add to this, I recently picked this up, and completely agree. Especially about most people not knowing the associated imagery. The memory aid Lewis shares for the signs, is worth knowing on it's own. This is a well thought out mix of methods, that have a built in presentation. Asking one letter from a word isn't using a PA. There's no need for contact, if you decide against it, as was clear in the tutorial. I doubt my muscle memory will stop me from using my other methods, but this is absolutely going see a lot of use. I love the provided presentation, instruction, and justifications, so I am extremely pleased with every aspect of this release. Anyone with an interest in propless star sign divination's, and realizes there may be a bit of fun work, is going to really appreciate this. The only way I can imagine this being transparent is if it's unpracticed, or presented poorly. I absolutely recommend this. 5/5
Look for all the world like you're counting the brain cells in his cranium.

-Theodore Annemann
Flawless
View Profile
New user
Germany
62 Posts

Profile of Flawless
Quote:
On Aug 14, 2022, UnbiasedMagicReviews wrote:
My Unbiased Magic Review

From my comment on YT:

"This is the first review of you that I basically completely disagree with.

Here's a few points:
1. Fishing with letters is not the same thing as using an anagram. Even if you disagree with that you can't say the trailer is misleading because that part of the effect is even shown in the trailer.

2. Yes, I agree that the process takes a little longer than a rushed PA but it's also way more engaging.

3. It's not difficult to perform and there's not too much memory work. Lewis gives you a great method to remember the signs and the positions on the map are not too hard to remember either. Took me 30 minutes to be ready to perform.

4. "It does feel very transparent" - Yes, the process of elimination could be backtracked but so can the use of an PA. A PA is even more transparent imo and Star Map feels more organic.

5. Touching the hand is not required, the Star Map can also be visualized without you touching theirs.

6. I'm pretty sure it's not less reliable than a PA where the spectator for instance might miss a letter in their mind by accident. The steps of Star Map are extremely easy to follow."
scott0819
View Profile
Inner circle
Toronto, Ont.
1040 Posts

Profile of scott0819
I think the back and forth discussion between UnbiasedMagicReviews (UMR) and Lewis is respectful and helpful here for anyone who hasn't purchased yet. My comments on the points being discussed here:

1. Hand Contact - It is not necessary, there is an 'Alternate Presentation' section where Lewis gives two alternatives, palm reading and holding an object in the hand. Or simply hold your hand a couple inches away from theirs; problem solved.

2. Steps In Process - UMR is correct in his review, Star Map has 4 steps in the process. I would consider the traditional PA (the way I use it) to have 3 steps: I use CUPS, the PA, and fishing between two signs. Personally, I would not say the Star Map process is "much more lengthy"; script can be simplified if desired.

3. Direct Questions - Valid points on both sides. I think the particular Star Map question UMR took issue with is quite indirect but could possibly be noticed/backtracked. However, a traditional PA is also asking 1-5 direct questions as well...but about letters in their sign.

4. Amount of Memory Work - Now this seemed like an odd criticism. I don't agree that Star Map is more likely to fail because it is inherently harder to memorize. Both require similar memory work: PA - 5 groups of 2-3 signs (and their order), Star Map - 4 groups of 3 signs (and their order). Lewis does provide a memory aid to help. If you are already familiar with star sign dates in the year, Star Map is WAY EASIER to memorize than a traditional PA.

5. Final Fishing Process - While it presents similar to a PA, it technically isn't and the advantages to Star Map are clear: You are identifying the letter AND it's location in the word (and you will be correct 66% of the time). And the mental burden on the participant is minimal; think of the first or last letter of the word only (no spelling). I'm a Sagittarius, and a dyslexic, don't ask me to spell it (I had to check twice).
saturnkk
View Profile
Veteran user
Commerce Township, MI / Naples, FL
317 Posts

Profile of saturnkk
I performed it for my girlfriend last night, first time. I had her think of a random sign since I obviously know hers. She is typically good at figuring out some of the magic I do, especially since I usually first try it on her when I am still rough and working out the kinks.

I had a hit with Taurus. This is not the "easiest" or even second easiest hit as it requires a bit more "deduction". That said, it completely fooled her and she was very interested in how I could have guessed it.

One person, I know but thought I would share...
LewisLeVal
View Profile
Regular user
131 Posts

Profile of LewisLeVal
Thanks guys! I've noticed those who've already purchased Star Map and have watched the tutorial have similar or the same views as I do when it comes to UnbiasedMagicReviews' review, on here as well as the YouTube comments.

I don't expect everyone to like my work, and negative feedback is actually genuinely helpful. However, this review is clearly misleading. If many hadn't already invested their hard earned money in Star Map, I'd be tempted to release the tutorial for free, for the sole purpose of showing how the routine and method actually is compared to how it is depicted in this review.

Magic reviewers on YouTube are trusted sources and we rely on them to help us make a decision on new releases (I do all the time!) which is why I was confused when I saw this review. I'm glad UnbiasedMagicReviews recommended Nique Tan's review of Star Map, I'd recommend it too. He too purchased Star Map and gives a more accurate description of the routine, as well as honest and agreeable pros and cons.
LewisLeVal
View Profile
Regular user
131 Posts

Profile of LewisLeVal
The palm reading presentation may appeal to some too, it goes as follows:

You briefly talk about star signs and a very general yes/no question is asked here.

You then instruct them on which palm they should hold out for you to read (as you would in an actual palm reading)

Now before the reading even begins, you're ready to move into the actual reveal. "Think of the first letter of your sign" and apparently look for that letter within the lines of their palm.

Combine this with the absolute basics of palmistry followed by the reveal of their sign and you've got yourself another beautiful propless moment. To be able to give a short and sweet reading followed by the revelation of their star sign is something you can take anywhere in the world and will never fail to gain huge interest from all within earshot.
helder
View Profile
Inner circle
Portugal
1065 Posts

Profile of helder
Quote:
On Aug 15, 2022, LewisLeVal wrote:
The palm reading presentation may appeal to some too, it goes as follows:

You briefly talk about star signs and a very general yes/no question is asked here.

You then instruct them on which palm they should hold out for you to read (as you would in an actual palm reading)

Now before the reading even begins, you're ready to move into the actual reveal. "Think of the first letter of your sign" and apparently look for that letter within the lines of their palm.

Combine this with the absolute basics of palmistry followed by the reveal of their sign and you've got yourself another beautiful propless moment. To be able to give a short and sweet reading followed by the revelation of their star sign is something you can take anywhere in the world and will never fail to gain huge interest from all within earshot.

A video of it would be great.

;)

Helder
My version of Eddie fetcher "Be Honest What's it?" it's available at Penguin Magic
Check my Facebook group: Mentalism Secrets
Email: heldermagico@gmail.com
www.facebook.com/heldermagico
LewisLeVal
View Profile
Regular user
131 Posts

Profile of LewisLeVal
This is an alternative presentation provided for those who do not wish to put their hand flat against their spectator's.

At least rectifying the incorrect points made by UnbiasedMagicReviews gives everyone a lot more insight into the routine! Smile
mike donoghue
View Profile
Inner circle
1299 Posts

Profile of mike donoghue
I haven’t Learnt this to where I am ready to do it in my pro. Work as yet .
However , I grasp the method, like it & will have NO hesitation including it in my work very soon .
Lewis’s teaching is top notch & for anyone who has seen him in other 1914 releases , this is if his usual excellent standard .
I tried this on someone I know & asked him if he was on Facebook & to my delight & surprise, he wasn’t & warned him that this is not ready YET to be put into my show .
I tried it for the first time & you should have seen his face when I nailed the sign .
He couldn’t believe it . He said ‘ I have told you nothing & I’m not on Facebook & you don’t know my girlfriend.
How the hell can you possibly know my star sign .
Thank you Lewis for another very clever release that to my mind has nothing illogical in the process, is amazing & captivates the sitter on a very personal level.
A superior product AGAIN from you & the 1914 team .
Thanks for making ME look good ( not as good as you though ha )
Excellent
PatrickGregoire
View Profile
Inner circle
2246 Posts

Profile of PatrickGregoire
I love hearing success stories with this because I really like this, can't wait to try it! This is why I'd love to see more performances, it hypes me up mentally.
quantum_swami
View Profile
New user
60 Posts

Profile of quantum_swami
I bought this last week and I can honestly say it's 10x better than any PA.

If you prefer a PA, fine. Keep doing that if it works for you. But as others have stated here, a lot of people don't even know their sign, let alone how to spell it in full. Star Map is less likely to fail due to spectator error in my opinion.

Each of the four seasons has three associated star signs. That's the extent of the memory work - to know which three signs belong to Spring, which three signs belong to Summer, which three signs belong to Autumn and which three signs belong to Winter.

Write them out on index cards and test yourself for an hour or two. By the morning you'll have a reputation maker.
EvojKam
View Profile
New user
27 Posts

Profile of EvojKam
I think the main reason lead to UMR's less positive review is due to CONTEXT
Lewis Le Val's method is more suitable in a intimate/psychic reading situation, where touching hand is very common(such as palmistry or Phrenology). And unlike mind reading, talking about star sign in the context of personality demographic is normal, less likely to raise a flag about process of elimination. In this case, guessing the star sign is not the end of the journey, but the beginning of a conversation, people will not only amazed by the fact that you know the star sign, but also more engaging to what you are about to say about their personality. Another method with this approach I love a lot is Palm Star by Matt Pulsar which is even more advance talking about the Cusp Zone between signs and finally reveal the birthday. I personally experienced Matt Pulsar doing it to myself and it feel great! It was really smooth.

Going back to Star Map, Lewis Le Val's presentation skill is really good and I enjoy watching him perform. People above ask about how long it take, will it feel like elimination etc, but the more important point is to make it feel smooth, the Touching hand, Imagine the star moving etc , these can all be eliminated, Or in IRIS, the looking at the iris as a thought transfer is not necessary in the method, but it will make the entire performance more enjoyable. It's like having sex, the foreplay is as important as arriving the climax. And in Star Map, Lewis infuse the method into the presentation, a good foreplay can make your parter forget they are watching a "magical demonstration ", suspension of disbelieve, and Just Enjoy. Author of "The Dance" Brad Henderson also mention about a similar analogy.

The clips you hear UMR do is for his patient, who may be seeking for scientific advice from a professional, a complete opposite situation I mentioned above. The approach UMR look at it is more of a standard mentalism presentation, in which "Think of the letter, send it to me" is really common, and it would be odd for a psychic / nice friend to do such thing.

All in all, context matter. For beginner, I would recommend picking up Lewis Le Val's IRIS first. I would call it a simpler version of star map having a prop as memory aid. And then Julian Moore's Star Sign is super good for learning the basic for star sign. If you already familiar with star sign, Star Map is for you, for less than $20, there is no reason to not learn a nice foreplay. For more advance, Palm Star by Matt Pulsar need to put in more work but the effect is really good.
Bartelli
View Profile
Elite user
Belgium
403 Posts

Profile of Bartelli
Quote:
On Aug 17, 2022, EvojKam wrote:
It's like having sex, the foreplay is as important as arriving the climax. And in Star Map, Lewis infuse the method into the presentation, a good foreplay can make your parter forget they are watching a "magical demonstration ", suspension of disbelieve, and Just Enjoy.

Right on!

I saw Lewis demonstrate and explain this at the Minds convention.

I just wanted to chime in about the language dependency. The final step isn't that easy in every language. I'm a bit stuck in Dutch honestly. I haven't found a solution for all of the seasons yet. As you can see below the proposed method doesn't work at all in Dutch. Also CUSP isn't really helpful here.
These are the seasons and their star signs in Dutch. If anyone could help me with the final phase, I would appreciate that. Between brackets the literal translations.
If needed we can continue this part of the conversation downstairs. I'm sure there must be an easy solution, but I haven't found it yet.

Winter:
-Steenbok (Ibex)
-Waterman (Water man)
-Vissen (Fish)

Spring
- Ram (Ram)
- Stier (Bull)
- Tweelingen (Twins)

Summer
- Kreeft (Lobster)
- Leeuw (Lion)
- Maagd (Virgin)

Autumn
- Weegschaal (Scale)
- Schorpioen (Scorpion)
- Boogschutter (Archer)
scott0819
View Profile
Inner circle
Toronto, Ont.
1040 Posts

Profile of scott0819
Bartelli, I believe the method would allow rearranging the signs amongst the larger groupings of WINTER/SPRING and SUMMER/AUTUMN. As long as a sign doesn’t get moved from winter to summer for example. Looking at above I see some groupings that would work better; will send you a DM.
John C
View Profile
Eternal Order
I THINK therefore I wrote
12967 Posts

Profile of John C
I may have bought but there's way to much controversy. I own a lot of Lewis's stuff. It's all good.

But I also respect unbiased magic reviews opinion. What is a mentalist to do?
EvojKam
View Profile
New user
27 Posts

Profile of EvojKam
Quote:
On Aug 18, 2022, John C wrote:
I may have bought but there's way to much controversy. I own a lot of Lewis's stuff. It's all good.

But I also respect unbiased magic reviews opinion. What is a mentalist to do?

As I mentioned above, the different in opinion is due to CONTEXT, Star Map and standard PA have different optimal situations. You mentioned you own a lot of Lewis's stuff, do you own IRIS? I would call it a prop-less version of IRIS, so if you like IRIS, you will like Star Map too.
Bartelli
View Profile
Elite user
Belgium
403 Posts

Profile of Bartelli
A quick thank you to all of you who have taken the time to PM me with possible solutions! I have seen some interesting ideas. I'll give them a go. I will share my final solution with the 1914. Maybe they can add it to the explanations. But I'll have to work it first.
otreboR
View Profile
Veteran user
The Netherlands
398 Posts

Profile of otreboR
Quote:
On Aug 18, 2022, Bartelli wrote:
Quote:
On Aug 17, 2022, EvojKam wrote:
It's like having sex, the foreplay is as important as arriving the climax. And in Star Map, Lewis infuse the method into the presentation, a good foreplay can make your parter forget they are watching a "magical demonstration ", suspension of disbelieve, and Just Enjoy.

Right on!

I saw Lewis demonstrate and explain this at the Minds convention.

I just wanted to chime in about the language dependency. The final step isn't that easy in every language. I'm a bit stuck in Dutch honestly. I haven't found a solution for all of the seasons yet. As you can see below the proposed method doesn't work at all in Dutch. Also CUSP isn't really helpful here.
These are the seasons and their star signs in Dutch. If anyone could help me with the final phase, I would appreciate that. Between brackets the literal translations.
If needed we can continue this part of the conversation downstairs. I'm sure there must be an easy solution, but I haven't found it yet.

Winter:
-Steenbok (Ibex)
-Waterman (Water man)
-Vissen (Fish)

Spring
- Ram (Ram)
- Stier (Bull)
- Tweelingen (Twins)

Summer
- Kreeft (Lobster)
- Leeuw (Lion)
- Maagd (Virgin)

Autumn
- Weegschaal (Scale)
- Schorpioen (Scorpion)
- Boogschutter (Archer)

Hi Bart,
Thanks for letting us know. I also have to work with the Dutch star signs.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » Star Map by Lewis Le Val - 100% Propless & Impromptu Star Sign Divination (51 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3 [Next]
X
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.09 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL