The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » PORTRAIT WOW By Katsuya Masuda and Roman Garcia (A large version of best selling WOW effect) (7 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2~3 [Next]
MurphysNEW
View Profile
Elite user
457 Posts

Profile of MurphysNEW
PORTRAIT WOW By Katsuya Masuda and Roman Garcia

Masuda's best selling effect, WOW, now made into a larger size, perfect for stage and close-up.
https://www.murphysmagic.com/Product.aspx?id=71994

* Super visual, high contrast transposition of 2 pictures.

* Self-working, with unlimited possibilities. Includes set of Portrait Wow system, test paper and online instructions.

ON PRESALE NOW. Release: Aug 15th
RNK
View Profile
Inner circle
7528 Posts

Profile of RNK
My thought on this is Eh.... Just don't like that you are stuck with that stuck figure person.

Picto-Transpo is much better IMO. Though I think that is no longer being sold.
Check out Bafflingbob.com
Andrew Zuber
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Angeles, CA
3017 Posts

Profile of Andrew Zuber
This looks like a great parlor piece. I agree that it would be nice to work with something other than the stick figure, though I guess that's the main limitation with the WOW gimmick.
"I'm sorry - if you were right, I would agree with you." -Robin Williams, Awakenings
dooblehorn
View Profile
Inner circle
Pittsburg, CA
2482 Posts

Profile of dooblehorn
I have always liked Wow, and have a few different versions, but $200??? Really?
emyers99
View Profile
Inner circle
Columbus, Ohio
4748 Posts

Profile of emyers99
I’ve been using Picto Transpo for 20 yrs. Gene actually made me two sets. I love it but it’s a lot to carry. This version looks like it’s much more compact and easy to transport. Downside is that it’s smaller and not as visual for bigger crowds. Probably best for parlor. Nice part about Picto is the kicker where the pics change but the signatures don’t.
magomago
View Profile
New user
78 Posts

Profile of magomago
Quote:
On Aug 5, 2022, RNK wrote:
My thought on this is Eh.... Just don't like that you are stuck with that stuck figure person.

Picto-Transpo is much better IMO. Though I think that is no longer being sold.

Well its your oppinion. For me this version has pros and cons compared to Picto-Transpo.

Contras:

Picto-Transpo can be seen from further disntance because the boards in picto transpo are bigger.
The draw in the WOW can be only a stick man in Picto, transpo can be anything.

Pros:

The transposition is more visual like all Wow transposition effects and you can see the transformation of the draw.
You don't need the envelopes, and the sleeves are always in plain sight
You can give the draw signed to the spectator like a souvenir. (For kids this is great).

For me this routine is a winner
RNK
View Profile
Inner circle
7528 Posts

Profile of RNK
What I do like about this is the portability of it. I think one more pro/con for each is that Genes in more organic looking than Portrait Wow but obviously can't be used in a strolling situation as this can. So it's nice there are options out there for different situations.

Glad Portrait Wow will work for you magomago.
Check out Bafflingbob.com
leipzisch
View Profile
Special user
932 Posts

Profile of leipzisch
That visual moment of transformation is pretty miraculous in the eyes of ordinary folk.
ArtIn
View Profile
Inner circle
1702 Posts

Profile of ArtIn
Quote:
On Aug 7, 2022, leipzisch wrote:
That visual moment of transformation is pretty miraculous in the eyes of ordinary folk.

But really worth 200$? I’m not convinced by this one.
I very much liked the idea of combining WOW with bills.
PatrickGregoire
View Profile
Inner circle
2247 Posts

Profile of PatrickGregoire
$200 is a lot of money but ultimately, $200 is irrelevant if you'll use it in paid shows.

I think this looks fantastic.

I think the stickman is hilarious. I also think people WOULD be able to see this from stage as the entire shape of the image changes visually, it's kinda hard not to see SOMETHING happening even if far away.

And just like anything small that plays big on stage due to the reaction of the person on stage (such as a card trick), this is the same thing. The people in the front will see it and carry the reaction throughout the audience.

Not sure if I'll buy it though as I don't know if I'd use it.

Would be amazing to be able to try out magic tricks on people before buying them. One can wish...
GetMental64
View Profile
New user
90 Posts

Profile of GetMental64
I really love the video. I do not have the WOW gimmick (not into cards), but understand how it works and yet I am surprised to see the outcome of this trick. It dazzled me. Very nice indeed! Does anyone already own it and can give a fair review? Thanks!
rowland
View Profile
Inner circle
1526 Posts

Profile of rowland
Quote:
On Aug 7, 2022, GetMental64 wrote:
I really love the video. I do not have the WOW gimmick (not into cards), but understand how it works and yet I am surprised to see the outcome of this trick. It dazzled me. Very nice indeed! Does anyone already own it and can give a fair review? Thanks!

You’re surprised because they leave a very important piece out of the video
PatrickGregoire
View Profile
Inner circle
2247 Posts

Quote:
On Aug 8, 2022, rowland wrote:

You’re surprised because they leave a very important piece out of the video

This is true. As far as I can tell, the video is deceptively representing how the handling would be. But this effect is not meant to fool magicians - even with the true handling, it would likely fool laymen.

Not sure about preventing the helper from peeking at the drawing they're holding, though. That would ruin the whole thing for them and possibly telegraph and ruin it for the whole audience.
emyers99
View Profile
Inner circle
Columbus, Ohio
4748 Posts

Profile of emyers99
The beauty of picto is that the move is naturally covered by the sequence of the routine. I agree that an uncut video would be very helpful here as the do cut out the primary move. It’s not a trick where an uncut video would reveal the method and enable someone to make it vs buy it. So an edited video was not needed here.
magomago
View Profile
New user
78 Posts

Profile of magomago
I cant review the final product because I don't have the props and I didn´t see the instructional video.

But I saw Roman perform the routine, and when the stick man transform visibly in the spectactors draw the audience was amazed. I didn´t remember the exact handling, but Roman is a master in subtleties. When I saw him perform first time Clonk, even knowing the gimmick he uses he fool me badly.
leipzisch
View Profile
Special user
932 Posts

Profile of leipzisch
Yes, you are paying for that moment.

As others have mentioned, the handling will have to look smooth and unsuspicious, in order for that moment to becoming a magical memory.
PatrickGregoire
View Profile
Inner circle
2247 Posts

I mean, it's probably literally just taking their drawing off of them to show both drawings side by side, then (*Bring drawings together facing you and switch*) handing them their drawing back to hold onto against their chest and then show that you're holding your drawing. Then make them visually transpose.

No crazy weird handling is necessary. Once the switch is done, you show what you're holding and it kills any sense of a switch.
PatrickGregoire
View Profile
Inner circle
2247 Posts

You could also take both drawings in your hands, mix them with faces hidden, then hand them one without them looking at it and ask them which one they think you have. Whatever they say, you show them you have yours. Then ask them to imagine they're a security guard in an art museum, protecting their work of art.

You ask them to imagine you're an art thief, and you're about to steal their work. You visually transform your art into theirs, and then finish off by saying "and of course, I left my fake in its place". They look at what they're holding and it's your stickman.

Super simple handling, presentation that makes at least some sense, I like this.
leipzisch
View Profile
Special user
932 Posts

Profile of leipzisch
I imagine you're probably right.
Amazing Magic Co
View Profile
Inner circle
1715 Posts

Profile of Amazing Magic Co
Eager to learn more but not a fan of the stick figures. I have been searching for Money Wow ... Is that still sold?

Dan.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » PORTRAIT WOW By Katsuya Masuda and Roman Garcia (A large version of best selling WOW effect) (7 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2~3 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL