The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workers » » The Erdnase Movie 2022 (1 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
Ray J
View Profile
Inner circle
St. Louis, MO
1092 Posts

Profile of Ray J
Quote:
On Sep 11, 2022, Leo H wrote:
Quote:
On Sep 5, 2022, Tortuga wrote: On a side note, it is interesting to see the impact Steve Forte's Gambling Sleight of Hand books have had on the whole discusstion of Erdnase. He makes what is to me a very good argument that whoever he was, he wasn't as knowledgeable about gambling as we've been led to believe.

Maybe that is the biggest intrigue of all, pulling the wool over eyes for so many years.


Forte's argument is indeed interesting, that Erdnase wasn't really as knowledgeable on gambling as he appeared to be. The late, great, Tony Giorgio had already postulated that in his Giorgio Letters column he penned for Genii back in the 1990s. Tony suspected Erdnase was a card magician with delusions of being a gambler who knew the moves at the card table. According to Giorgio, Erdnase knew too many moves. Real world card cheats only stick to one or two maneuvers that get the money, and that's it. Tony discussed Erdnase with many notable card cheats he knew from the 40s and 50s. They all gave him the same response that Forte pointed out in his book.


Yes, all of what you say is in agreement with my own opinion. Even today there are magicians who dream of sitting down at a table and pulling off moves. The reality is the biggest thing it takes is nerve. And knowing when to move and when not to. One thing Ernase was absolutely right about is:

THE deportment of the successful card player must be as finished as his skill. A quiet, unostentatious
demeanor and gentlemanly reserve are best calculated to answer his purpose. Especially the entire
suppression of emotion over gains or losses, Without ability to control his feelings the "advantage player" is
without advantage. Boldness and nerve are also absolutely essential. Ability in card handling does not
necessarily insure success.
Proficiency in target practice is not the sole qualification of the trap shooter. Many experts with the gun who can
nonchalantly ring up the bull's eye in a shooting gallery could not hit the side of a barn in a duel. The greater the
emergency, or the greater the stakes, the greater the nerve required.
It's never crowded on the extra mile....
Ray J
View Profile
Inner circle
St. Louis, MO
1092 Posts

Profile of Ray J
Any more discussion of this aspect of Erdnase should be made in a separate thread. Perhaps I will begin one.
It's never crowded on the extra mile....
Leo H
View Profile
Inner circle
1222 Posts

Profile of Leo H
Going back to that Erdnase film, I'm baffled as to why the filmmakers deliberately chose to omit Sanders. The circumstantial evidence on him is just too compelling to ignore. And yet they walked away from him in favor of other candidates who are less convincing. In a way, they have done a disservice to the scholarly efforts of researchers to find the true identity of the author.

If they had included Sanders, it could have triggered a latent memory in a viewer who might known something about the man that hasn't been documented yet. Nothing can be considered too trivial when conducting research. The filmmakers chose the path of fictional entertainment over serious research, and in that sense they are no better than Hollywood.
cbharrelson
View Profile
Regular user
166 Posts

Profile of cbharrelson
Leo the reason I think it was Es Andrews is because he hustled people in business which was his main thing card sharping was more of a hobby. I also think this is why he did not want to be known as knowl dgeble about cards. I also do not think he was a master card sharp only knowledgeable..
iccemann101
View Profile
New user
Dark Side of the Moon
50 Posts

Profile of iccemann101
I'm looking forward to seeing this movie just wish that I could buy a DVD of it.
Does anyone know if there will be a DVD put out in the near future? (or at all)
Leo H
View Profile
Inner circle
1222 Posts

Profile of Leo H
Quote:
On Sep 11, 2022, cbharrelson wrote:
Leo the reason I think it was Es Andrews is because he hustled people in business which was his main thing card sharping was more of a hobby. I also think this is why he did not want to be known as knowl dgeble about cards. I also do not think he was a master card sharp only knowledgeable..


I thought E.S. Andrews was a railroad clerk in the Chicago area, or something similar to that effect. He was in the railroad industry. Not a hustler.
Ray J
View Profile
Inner circle
St. Louis, MO
1092 Posts

Profile of Ray J
Quote:
On Sep 11, 2022, Leo H wrote:
Going back to that Erdnase film, I'm baffled as to why the filmmakers deliberately chose to omit Sanders. The circumstantial evidence on him is just too compelling to ignore. And yet they walked away from him in favor of other candidates who are less convincing. In a way, they have done a disservice to the scholarly efforts of researchers to find the true identity of the author.

If they had included Sanders, it could have triggered a latent memory in a viewer who might known something about the man that hasn't been documented yet. Nothing can be considered too trivial when conducting research. The filmmakers chose the path of fictional entertainment over serious research, and in that sense they are no better than Hollywood.


I doubt we'll ever know for certain who he was, but the Genii issue where the case for W.E. Sanders is laid out is among the most convincing to date, in my mind. His journals showed that he knew at least one card trick, played around with anagrams and that he gambled for money. His letters mention playing cards on what seems to be a regular basis. Then there was the receipt for camping supplies which featured multiple packs of cards.
It's never crowded on the extra mile....
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workers » » The Erdnase Movie 2022 (1 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2022 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL