The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Rings, strings & things » » Super Micro 2004 vs. Thread Boss 2004 ? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Bob Johnston
View Profile
Inner circle
Philadelphia, PA
1251 Posts

Profile of Bob Johnston
Has anyone figured out the real difference between the new Super Micro 2004 and the Thread Boss 2004?

I was led to believe that there was just one Kevlar thread that Sorcery sells in their Kevlar units. However in the site description for the Super Micro 2004, it states:

"The only difference between this reel and the Thread Boss is THE TYPE OF THREAD that is included and the safety pin instead of the alligator clip."

Hello! It never explains what the difference is.

This kind of ambiguous description makes it very hard to make an intelligent decision for a $60.00 purchase. I use and love the Kevlar Pen Reel and want to have a back-up alternate reel, but have no idea what to do.

Bob
Sk8rDave
View Profile
Regular user
California
189 Posts

Profile of Sk8rDave
When James first started making the thread boss it was to appease people who had complaints about the ITR which, at that time, came in three sizes: standard, micro and supermicro. If he says that the only difference between the super micro and the thread boss is the thread then either he's changed the design on one of them or he's not being completely honest. With James, either one is very likely.

I haven't seen his recent stuff. I lost touch with James when I moved out of the Sacramento area, but here's what I know about the way they used to be made:

The original 3 ITRs had a special thread that James had discovered to use specifically for his floating pencil routine. It was stronger than any invisible thread on the market at the time. He started marketing it under the Sorcery brand and eventually the retracting reel, the ITR was born. Soon he had 3 reels, each with this super strong thread and, because the thread could handle it they had a decent amount of tension. This meant that magicians could make things float down and then float back up with little body motion using only the power of the reel.

The drawback to this super strong thread is that it is slightly more visible than some of the thinner threads out there. You always have to watch your lighing with thread but people complained that it wasn't as invisible. So James used a different thread on the thread boss. The thread is thinner and, consequently, breaks easier. Because this thread can't support as much tension the thread boss has less lifting power. You can't really count on the power of the reel to lift things up for you the way you can with the other reels so it takes a little more body motion for things to levitate. Another difference is thread length. The thread can only go out so far before the tension gets so great that the thread breaks. Because the Super Micro ITR has more tension to begin with you can get about 4 feet from one end to the reel before it breaks. Since the thread boss has less tension you can get about 10 feet before the tension builds up.

In the past, the thread boss connected to your clothing with an alligator clip while the ITR had a safety pin. The thread boss had black plastic caps covering the ends while while the ITR used rubber to rings. I'm not sure if those differences still exist but I think you'll still get the behavior differences between the two reels I mentioned above.

Good luck,

Dave
Bob Johnston
View Profile
Inner circle
Philadelphia, PA
1251 Posts

Profile of Bob Johnston
Thanks Dave:

Here is the link to his site and the New 2004 information. You will (perhaps) find is as confusing as I did. Thanks much for all your background information.

http://sorcery.safeshopper.com/202/cat202.htm?321

Bob
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Rings, strings & things » » Super Micro 2004 vs. Thread Boss 2004 ? (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.14 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL