The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » All in the cards » » Chicago Opener without the Hindu Shuffle (7 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
Nikodemus
View Profile
Inner circle
1174 Posts

Profile of Nikodemus
Quote:
On Aug 15, 2022, Nikodemus wrote:
I think it is very strange that so many people do Chicago Opener with the Hindu Shuffle. It's totally unnecessary for that trick.

The point I was really trying to make was not about the merits of the Hindu Shuffle. It was more about the tendency many of us have to slavishly copy every detail of a trick rather than personalise it.
I remember a while back looking at many YouTube videos of a particular effect [unfortunately I can't remember which one]. In about 90% of those videos exactly the same card was "selected"III
mlippo
View Profile
Inner circle
Trieste (Italy)
1227 Posts

Profile of mlippo
Quote:
On Sep 3, 2022, Ed Oschmann wrote:
Changing selection procedures.

I said "consistency goes in the rubbish".
That's why l chose to use the same procedure, the Hindu Shuffle, for both selections.
As in Card College 5 description.

Mark
Ed Oschmann
View Profile
Inner circle
Lake Worth FL
1022 Posts

Profile of Ed Oschmann
Yep. Depends on the context.
Pyppo100
View Profile
Regular user
166 Posts

Profile of Pyppo100
Quote:
On Sep 3, 2022, Ed Oschmann wrote:
Yep. Depends on the context.

I think a lot also depends on the distance between the performer and the spectator...

Thanks!
mlippo
View Profile
Inner circle
Trieste (Italy)
1227 Posts

Profile of mlippo
Quote:
On Aug 13, 2022, Pyppo100 wrote:
What do you think of Ekaterina's performance of the Chicago Opener effect that doesn't use the Hindu Shuffle?

https://youtu.be/laWUeCByivk?t=141

Thanks!

Best regards

By the way, l liked her script a lot. Not the usual "blushing" or "shy" card ...
Does anyone know if it's original with her?

First time I come across it.

Mark
Wravyn
View Profile
Inner circle
3513 Posts

Profile of Wravyn
In a blog by Bill Wisch, Slydini-The Legend, he shares "Slydini's Hindu Delay".
A number of other worthwhile lessons are shared here also.
https://www.billwisch.com/slydinilegacy
Pop Haydn
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Angeles
3691 Posts

Profile of Pop Haydn
MeetMagicMike
View Profile
Inner circle
Gainesville Fl
3504 Posts

Profile of MeetMagicMike
I highly endorse Pop Haydn's Chicago Surprise. One of my best magic purchases.

Thanks, Pop
Magic Mike

MeetMagicMike.com

I took the Pledge
Nikodemus
View Profile
Inner circle
1174 Posts

Profile of Nikodemus
Yes - Chicago Surprise elevates CO from great trick to absolute miracle
charliemartin
View Profile
Special user
Rapid City, SD
779 Posts

Profile of charliemartin
Meir Yedid on his "forces" DVD has some great tips on the Hindu Shuffle. I love the trick And I don't use the HS but who cares. I still go by the adage " they pay for what they see and not for what they don't".
Pop Haydn
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Angeles
3691 Posts

Profile of Pop Haydn
The second selection should be stronger than the first, or what is the point of repeating it? It is not enough for the force to "get past the audience," they need to be able to attest that the second choice was free and "could not have been" a force. By using a classic force with the cards facing the spectator, they have to agree that they could have thought of any card and just picked it from the face up cards. When you give them several chances to change their mind, they have to admit they "could have" picked "any" card, and they could have changed their mind several times. They can be convinced there was no force, and none possible. If they have their finger or foot or saltshaker on the stranger card so that it could not be switched--from before the second card is chosen--the spectators have to agree that "it could not be a force and the card could not have been switched." If the card was not switched, and the choice was "truly free" then the result is absolutely "impossible."

Getting the spectators to mentally "agree" to both these conditions is essential to creating a truly mindblowing effect.

This is the difference between an effect that "fools" people (I don't know how he did it!) and one that confronts them with the impossible (There is no possible way!).

The difference between lightning and a lightning bug.

Watch the video above, where Rachel is convinced the choice is free before the change, and her friend has had a finger on the stranger card from "before she picked a card!"
mlippo
View Profile
Inner circle
Trieste (Italy)
1227 Posts

Profile of mlippo
Quote:
On Nov 8, 2023, Pop Haydn wrote:
The second selection should be stronger than the first, or what is the point of repeating it? It is not enough for the force to "get past the audience," they need to be able to attest that the second choice was free and "could not have been" a force. By using a classic force with the cards facing the spectator, they have to agree that they could have thought of any card and just picked it from the face up cards. When you give them several chances to change their mind, they have to admit they "could have" picked "any" card, and they could have changed their mind several times. They can be convinced there was no force, and none possible. If they have their finger or foot or saltshaker on the stranger card so that it could not be switched--from before the second card is chosen--the spectators have to agree that "it could not be a force and the card could not have been switched." If the card was not switched, and the choice was "truly free" then the result is absolutely "impossible."

Getting the spectators to mentally "agree" to both these conditions is essential to creating a truly mindblowing effect.

This is the difference between an effect that "fools" people (I don't know how he did it!) and one that confronts them with the impossible (There is no possible way!).

Watch the video above, where Rachel is convinced the choice is free before the change, and her friend has had a finger on the stranger card from "before she picked a card!"

Pop, when it comes to this effect you are THE man!!!
Well, and for the Chinese linking rings as well ... and for the magnetised water as well ... and for the Mongolian Knot as well and so forth ... Smile

Mark
Kaliix
View Profile
Inner circle
Connecticut
1990 Posts

Profile of Kaliix
Pop Haydn is my favorite magical character and you are one of my all-time favorite magicians. But then you had to write lightning bug instead of lightning. Sorry, but I have to respectfully disagree with what you wrote. My experience performing Anmmar's Red Hot Mamma from ETMCM Vol 2 over 25 years in paid shows, walkaround/restaurant, casual, impromptu and 20 years of performing this in a middle school classroom demonstrate that this effect kills. People say the Hindu shuffle looks weird, different, odd yet I've used the Hindu force every single time and the spectator always looks at the remaining red card incredulously. Never have they acted like the choice wasn't free.

The second selection doesn't have to be stronger. The cards were just slowly run through and shown to not contain any other red cards (which was both fair and true). The one red card was just shown. Saying I can do it again and then offering a quick selection makes sense as everything was just shown very fairly and the spectator is seeing all bluebacks go by which is really all anyone cares about. The second selection matters in that its back is not yet red. Its face is important in that it is proof that the correct card turns red. There is little reason to care about the selection procedure. The backs are and have been shown blue. The selection procedure is of little consequence at that point. At least the way I present it and that presentation has never failed me in almost 30 years of performing this. After the HF selection, for me, it is all about selling the overconfidence, magician-in-trouble aspect of the routine. That has been my hook and why this routine gets the reaction it does.

IMHO, YMMV

Quote:

The greatest obstacle to discovery is not ignorance; it is the illusion of knowledge.
~Daniel J. Boorstin
Pop Haydn
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Angeles
3691 Posts

Profile of Pop Haydn
Quote:
On Nov 15, 2023, Kaliix wrote:
Pop Haydn is my favorite magical character and you are one of my all-time favorite magicians. But then you had to write lightning bug instead of lightning. Sorry, but I have to respectfully disagree with what you wrote. My experience performing Anmmar's Red Hot Mamma from ETMCM Vol 2 over 25 years in paid shows, walkaround/restaurant, casual, impromptu and 20 years of performing this in a middle school classroom demonstrate that this effect kills. People say the Hindu shuffle looks weird, different, odd yet I've used the Hindu force every single time and the spectator always looks at the remaining red card incredulously. Never have they acted like the choice wasn't free.

The second selection doesn't have to be stronger. The cards were just slowly run through and shown to not contain any other red cards (which was both fair and true). The one red card was just shown. Saying I can do it again and then offering a quick selection makes sense as everything was just shown very fairly and the spectator is seeing all bluebacks go by which is really all anyone cares about. The second selection matters in that its back is not yet red. Its face is important in that it is proof that the correct card turns red. There is little reason to care about the selection procedure. The backs are and have been shown blue. The selection procedure is of little consequence at that point. At least the way I present it and that presentation has never failed me in almost 30 years of performing this. After the HF selection, for me, it is all about selling the overconfidence, magician-in-trouble aspect of the routine. That has been my hook and why this routine gets the reaction it does.

IMHO, YMMV

Quote:

I have performed both ways successfully thousands of times. It is not that the original is bad--I wouldn't have wanted to improve it if it wasn't a strong trick from the first. By ratcheting down the weaknesses, the trick and its response will be much stronger. If you give my changes a chance in performance, I think you might agree.
mlippo
View Profile
Inner circle
Trieste (Italy)
1227 Posts

Profile of mlippo
Quote:

IMHO, YMMV

Quote:

In my opinion, the second selection must be AT LEAST as strong as the first. That's why I usually use hindu shuffle for both. Using a free from the fan selection first and then the HS, doesn't satisfy that condition.

Mark
Pop Haydn
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Angeles
3691 Posts

Profile of Pop Haydn
Quote:
On Nov 16, 2023, mlippo wrote:
Quote:

IMHO, YMMV

Quote:

In my opinion, the second selection must be AT LEAST as strong as the first. That's why I usually use hindu shuffle for both. Using a free from the fan selection first and then the HS, doesn't satisfy that condition.

Mark

Why repeat the trick at all, if you are not strengthening the conditions? The problem with the Hindu Force is that it is hard to get "agreement" that the choice was fair and free. Without that premise locked down, the argument for the effect loses power. The spectator should be able to state, "I had a free choice of any card I wanted, and the card under my foot could not have been switched." If the spectator can't affirm both of these conditions, the effect will not be as strong.

When you use the Hindu Force or similar methods, it will go past even the most observant. But if you ask someone later how they chose the card they will have a hard time explaining. "Getting past" the spectator and convincing them they had a free choice are different things. In my opinion, when the argument for the effect requires that the choice be free, then cross cut and Hindu force are not sufficient.

One solution is good, the other is stronger. I always think that "strongest" is the goal.

Look again at the video of Chicago Surprise for Rachel. See how powerful the trick is when the argument's two basic premises are agreed to before the reveal.
M / Trick or Die
View Profile
New user
52 Posts

Profile of M / Trick or Die
Hi,

I have a version in which the spectators can select both cards freely from the spread, in the same manner in both phases. No classic force.

Of course the second selection is not completely free, but from the spectator's point of view it is as free as the first selection.

Send me a PM or email me through my website, and I'll send you the link to the effect. It's for free, I'm not selling anything to you Smile

P.S. It's not self-working, but quite easy to do for a person with intermediate skill level in handling cards.

- M / Trick or Die
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » All in the cards » » Chicago Opener without the Hindu Shuffle (7 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.12 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL