The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Mentally Speaking » » The Peak (416 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5..15~16~17 [Next]
Michael.Kegel
View Profile
Regular user
Germany
142 Posts

Profile of Michael.Kegel
It just crossed my mind that all of the performers who are keen on using peek devices such as "the Peak" instead of (in my opinion) smarter (meaning more convincing and sure-fire) methods such as a center tear or a ParaPad ought to take a closer look at Aazan Makkdoomi's Mentalism Presentations book (a Luca Volpe production) as the table of content lists some apprarently clever advice on how to deal with justifying actions necessary for gimmicks such as "the Peak".
Chris Jones
View Profile
Elite user
467 Posts

Profile of Chris Jones
This looks very cool. I’m always slightly embarrassed by the mindreading props released, look like something my grandad woukd have lol. This style of wallet is everywhere and nobody would suspect it was a prop. Also like to see how open they were with the method. I think I’ll pick this up.
doktorp
View Profile
Regular user
140 Posts

Profile of doktorp
Luca Volpe has a great review in his FB group. Still, I’m not sure, if the hot area has to be “activated” somehow. I’m curious, if the information is always visible, from the moment, the card is inserted?
takeachance
View Profile
Inner circle
3777 Posts

Profile of takeachance
Quote:
On Aug 22, 2022, Michael.Kegel wrote:
It just crossed my mind that all of the performers who are keen on using peek devices such as "the Peak" instead of (in my opinion) smarter (meaning more convincing and sure-fire) methods such as a center tear or a ParaPad ought to take a closer look at Aazan Makkdoomi's Mentalism Presentations book (a Luca Volpe production) as the table of content lists some apprarently clever advice on how to deal with justifying actions necessary for gimmicks such as "the Peak".

Was thinking the same thing, as it covers
Justifications such as:

WHY should the spectator write down their thought?
WHY do we touch the billet?
WHY do we need to tear the billet for a center tear?
WHY do we put the billet inside our peek wallet?
WHY do we go back to the wallet?

Think it may be a worthwhile addition to my library
cardbiker
View Profile
Inner circle
1484 Posts

Profile of cardbiker
Just watched the demo where you can supposedly see the way it is done , can’t see a thing! Definitely not for me .
David Numen
View Profile
Inner circle
2076 Posts

Profile of David Numen
There's no supposedly about it, you see exactly how it's done. And it's clear enough.
cardbiker
View Profile
Inner circle
1484 Posts

Profile of cardbiker
Quote:
On Aug 22, 2022, David Numen wrote:
There's no supposedly about it, you see exactly how it's done. And it's clear enough.

Thanks for your input ????most helpful
qkeli
View Profile
Special user
paris,france
792 Posts

Profile of qkeli
Where can we find the demo ?
David Numen
View Profile
Inner circle
2076 Posts

Profile of David Numen
Quote:
On Aug 22, 2022, cardbiker wrote:
Quote:

Thanks for your input ????most helpful

What wasn't helpful? It's a fact that I and many others have seen the demo and have seen the peek clearly in action. You maybe can't but that's more likely an issue with your eyes and not the product surely? So really, your post was unhelpful.
Roberto W
View Profile
Inner circle
1253 Posts

Profile of Roberto W
Quote:

It is clear in fairness and that’s over video. My guess is that when people interested in this have it to play with, the drawing will be and look even clearer (in a good way getting the peak at a glance)
cardbiker
View Profile
Inner circle
1484 Posts

Profile of cardbiker
Thanks Roberto.
cardbiker
View Profile
Inner circle
1484 Posts

Profile of cardbiker
Thanks for your help, but at my age that would be a stare and not a quick peek.
NeilS
View Profile
Inner circle
3237 Posts

Profile of NeilS
'Right, I'll just put your card in here. (Inserts it in wallet) And put my glasses on ...'

It's sad when time catches up and you have to wear glasses to read minds.

Whether I actually end up getting this I'm not sure, but I was particularly impressed with Luca's endorsement and comments on his excellent Breakfast Mentalism. As far as peak devices go, this looks to be one of the better ones.

Neil
Jared
View Profile
Inner circle
Rhode Island, USA
1579 Posts

Profile of Jared
I can tell from the demo that the peek is going to be problematic in dimly-lit rooms. The method is similar to Michael Weber's Seer wallet but is not as 'light-friendly'. Without exposing the Seer you can fairly show both sides of the wallet to dispel any notion that you can somehow see inside. The Peak wallet also functions similarly to wallets with privacy screens in that you have often tip the wallet (unnaturally) to get the glimpse. Although, the Peak is much more deceptive because of the woven carbon fibers. IMO the Peak will best serve those who work in well-lit rooms or venues where they can control their own lighting...It looks like a really good product but it will have some limitations with lighting.

Now, to those who say that the Parapad is the preferred way to go. I'll let you fall on your face as I once did. Don't get me wrong, I love my Parapads (I own at least 6 of them!), but they are best utilized for numbers or simple drawings...Names are too unreliable for real-world use unless you demand that spectator's print in large block letters, which many won't do. Personally, I have NEVER been questioned about putting the card back into the wallet and I have been using peek wallets for more than 20-years. Mentalism is about attitude and confidence. If you're transitioning from magic into mentalism (as I once did) it can take years before you fully understand all the nuances and subtleties that it make it work.
amazingvijay
View Profile
Loyal user
N. California Bay Area
230 Posts

Profile of amazingvijay
Anyone know the exact differences between this and Mark Mason's Slick? Why is one about half the price of the other?

Which one looks better to an audience?

Vijay
N California Bay Area magician
http://www.amazingvijay.com
Jared
View Profile
Inner circle
Rhode Island, USA
1579 Posts

Profile of Jared
Vijay, with The Peak you get a full 'peek' of the business card. With Slick it's only about a 1/3rd or 1/2 of the card. But you can work around that by writing something like, "Print friend's name here:" at the top of the card. There are plenty of great peek wallets in the market. You might want to also want to check out Blink or the Oprhic as well. My advice is to choose a wallet that best suits your style and working conditions.
amazingvijay
View Profile
Loyal user
N. California Bay Area
230 Posts

Profile of amazingvijay
Thanks for the advice Jared. Very helpful. Yes, I have some peek devices already Smile But was interested in what advances these incorporate.

Best,

Vijay
N California Bay Area magician
http://www.amazingvijay.com
RNK
View Profile
Inner circle
7528 Posts

Profile of RNK
Quote:
On Aug 22, 2022, amazingvijay wrote:
Thanks for the advice Jared. Very helpful. Yes, I have some peek devices already Smile But was interested in what advances these incorporate.

Best,

Vijay

I think one advantage this has over some others is once the card goes into the wallet/holder you don't have to ever take anything out, put anything in, do any other moves/handlings. You just turn it at the perfect angle as you are placing on the table, into their hands, in your jacket etc. I think that's a great feature.
Check out Bafflingbob.com
EvojKam
View Profile
New user
27 Posts

Profile of EvojKam
It is a modern day telethought wallet
NeilS
View Profile
Inner circle
3237 Posts

Profile of NeilS
In the ad it mentions using a name as a possibility. It is good to know The Peak is not restricted to drawings.

Neil
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Mentally Speaking » » The Peak (416 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5..15~16~17 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL