The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Trick coin trickery » » Chinese Coin sun and moon (1 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Bill Wood
View Profile
New user
Nova Scotia
96 Posts

Profile of Bill Wood
Hello Magic Gang

Does anyone know the name of or place to purchase a sun and moon that has a Chinese coin as one of the aspects?...he says vaguely trying not to be too blunt about methods.
inigmntoya
View Profile
Inner circle
DC area native, now in Atlanta
2224 Posts

Profile of inigmntoya
Do you just need a coin that "looks Chinese" or has Chinese symbols on it?
I don't think I've ever seen a sun/moon coin with a hole.

I suppose you coin take a coin with a hole and shell and age/treat one side of the coin?
tonsofquestions
View Profile
Inner circle
1459 Posts

Profile of tonsofquestions
Do you perhaps mean a C/S (a Chinatown Half, in this case), or actually a Sun/Moon (which is a C/S plus something extra?

There are lots of sellers for Chinatown halves, just pick your favorite Chinese coin (perhaps you have one that matches your other gaffs), and go from there.
If you mean the latter, I've never seen one. It would seem like an odd pairing to me, since you still can't show both sides of the Chinatown half freely, which is a big part of the benefit of the kind of routines/handlings to me.
Poof-Daddy
View Profile
Inner circle
Considering Stopping At Exactly
5282 Posts

Profile of Poof-Daddy
If by sun/moon you mean the gaff from a Hopping Half set, something like "Hopping Half Chinese Set" by Mark Mason would have it
https://www.jbtvusa.com/p/j-b-exclusives......nese-set Out of stock currently but you could contact Mark to get a timeline for more sets or find one used.
There are other "sets" out there that you could make a set from. I have never seen a "proper" Chinese coin "S/M" coin.
Cancer Sux - It is time to find a Cure

Don't spend so much time trying not to die that you forget how to live - H's wife to H on CSI Miami (paraphrased).

Smile Smile
Bill Wood
View Profile
New user
Nova Scotia
96 Posts

Profile of Bill Wood
This is all very helpful thanks gents
Bill
inigmntoya
View Profile
Inner circle
2224 Posts

Profile of inigmntoya
Doh!
Thanks to Poof Daddy... I just remembered that N2G's HCC set is also a Hopping Halves set with Chinese coins - the innermost part being a sun/moon. See:

https://youtu.be/qSHnXBA6pSU
tonsofquestions
View Profile
Inner circle
1459 Posts

Ah, interesting. If we're talking a set that's entirely made up of coins with holes (like the Mark Mason one) then I wouldn't have said "with a Chinese coin as one of the aspects" - which to me implies just one, rather than both.

If that's an option, then there are a few other sellers, but the Mark Mason one is probably the better quality.
https://tomladshawmagic.com/index.php?ro......t_id=167 also exists, but is fairly low in comparison.

It also occurs to me to suggest the Oliver Magic "Chinese Hopping Half" set, like this one: https://madhattermagicshop.com/magicshop......id=67173
which I recall exists, and has (replica) Morgan+Chinese.
That said, it comes with some warnings:
- They only make it in dollar size (you didn't specify)
- I haven't used it, so can't speak to the quality. The Morgans are particularly bad faces, this was discussed on other threads.
- Oliver Magic has a somewhat shady reputation - they put out some good and original things, but also have a few where they've ripped off designs (actual custom coins) from other magicians. This (rightfully) upsets some people.

I'll let you be the decision maker, now that you're properly informed.

I also believe Oliver Magic sells one like Mark Mason's (again only in dollar, last I saw) but I couldn't find it on a quick search outside of ebay. Again, only dollar.
inigmntoya
View Profile
Inner circle
2224 Posts

Profile of inigmntoya
Ah... If it's just one coin with a hole in the mix, a "China Bit" or "post" coin would fit the bill.
Looks like a solid coin that can be shown in both sides, but unnests to show a coin with a hole.
Not a commonly available gaff but they're out there.
Calvin Tong
View Profile
Special user
707 Posts

Profile of Calvin Tong
Yes. You are correct. “ China Bit” is the best “sun moon” version with a Chinese coin with a hole in it. Todd Lassen produced a few when he was still with us.

The 2nd best solution is a “China town” with a “Custom” sh.ll. standard shells cannot be burned on all sides because it is not a custom fit to the China town half.

I did purchase many of the “made in China” coin sets to analyze the quality. One of them was a type of “China Bit” with extra coins to enable a wild coin type routine. However, it is no longer available.

It was named : SUMAG Made in China Magic Tricks Silver Brass Coin Appear:

https://a.co/d/dvSTqKm

Cal
Cal Tong
President Emeritus
IBM Ring 216 Silicon Valley
tonsofquestions
View Profile
Inner circle
1459 Posts

SUMAG is just a reseller of the Oliver magic set that I linked to on Madhatter. (The second link).
It's absolutely still available, either from them or other sellers.

I have not purchased it though, so I would be interested in your thoughts on quality, if you're willing to post them.
Calvin Tong
View Profile
Special user
707 Posts

Profile of Calvin Tong
I just watched the video on the 2nd link of the hopping half video. The performer is performing the standard hopping half routine with the gaffs that we all know that comes with the hopping half set (ie… 3 sh..ls)

The hopping half routine cannot be performed with the SUMAG coin set which I linked above.

Now, It may be that both sets can accomplish a similar “sun moon” like effect. Maybe they have the same base design? I do not know and I will not say one way or another because I do not own the chinese hopping half set. What I do know with 100% accuracy is that the traditional hopping half routine ”cannot” be performed with the SUMAG set. The SUMaG set is targeting the wild coin effect per the video.

Is SUMAG a reseller of Oliver Magic? I personally cannot say one way or another because I do not have any factual data on this. I am not saying they are or they are not. However I do see clues how others may believe they are. If others have a message from oliver magic indicating such, that would be good to know. I have reached out to SUMAG and asked them this specific question. Waiting for their response.
Cal Tong
President Emeritus
Calvin Tong
View Profile
Special user
707 Posts

Profile of Calvin Tong
I just watched the video on the 2nd link of the hopping half video. The performer is performing the standard hopping half routine with the gaffs that we all know that comes with the hopping half set (ie… 3 sh..ls) is my best “guess”.

The hopping half routine cannot be performed with the SUMAG coin set which I linked above.

Now, It may be that both sets can accomplish a similar “sun moon” like effect. Maybe they have the same base design? I do not know and I will not say one way or another because I do not own the chinese hopping half set. What I do know with 100% accuracy is that the traditional hopping half routine ”cannot” be performed with the SUMAG set. The SUMaG set is targeting the wild coin effect per the video.

Is SUMAG a reseller of Oliver Magic? I personally cannot say one way or another because I do not have any factual data on this. I am not saying they are or they are not. However I do see clues how others may believe they are. If others have a message from oliver magic indicating such, that would be good to know. I have reached out to SUMAG and asked them this specific question. Waiting for their response.
Cal Tong
President Emeritus
inigmntoya
View Profile
Inner circle
2224 Posts

Profile of inigmntoya
Quote:
On Aug 30, 2022, Calvin Tong wrote:

It was named : SUMAG Made in China Magic Tricks Silver Brass Coin Appear:

https://a.co/d/dvSTqKm

Cal

Ugh... That awful pointy nosed fake Morgan. Smile
tonsofquestions
View Profile
Inner circle
1459 Posts

While I can't say with 100% certainty, I'd say that I'm 99% sure it's the same manufacturer.
Why? Because of the creator. Jimmy Fan does most of the coin tutorials for Oliver/Lion.
That SUMAG set is called "Made in China", and can be seen as by Jimmy here: https://www.52magic.com/Made-in-China-by......376.html
Here's the Oliver Hopping Half, with the same performer (note the finger/knuckle tattoos).

They're slightly different sets, which I now see after looking more closely, but I think the deluxe HH set contains the Made In China within it. And the core coins are similar - especially with respect to the Chinese Sun/Moon.

Whether SUMAG is an official distributor, the same company with a different name, or someone just buying/reselling, I can't say. I don't expect you'll get much of an answer. In the end, I'm not really sure it has much impact to the point that was being made - that you can still find either set.
Calvin Tong
View Profile
Special user
707 Posts

Profile of Calvin Tong
Purchased for the sake of research…… pointy nose and all Smile
Cal Tong
President Emeritus
Ray J
View Profile
Inner circle
St. Louis, MO
1136 Posts

Profile of Ray J
Quote:
On Sep 5, 2022, Calvin Tong wrote:

I'm sure you'll be pleased. Don't stare at the coin, just go out and use it.
It's never crowded on the extra mile....
inigmntoya
View Profile
Inner circle
2224 Posts

Profile of inigmntoya
Smile

Quote:
On Sep 5, 2022, Calvin Tong wrote:
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Trick coin trickery » » Chinese Coin sun and moon (1 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2022 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL