The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricky business » » Best books about marketing/buisness » » TOPIC IS LOCKED (42 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5
ed rhodes
View Profile
Inner circle
Rhode Island
2889 Posts

Profile of ed rhodes
Quote:
On Sep 16, 2022, TomBoleware wrote:
Ed, you can get the Marketing Your Services book for four dollars with free shipping on ebay.

But yes I would always check with the public library first. I too look for the cheapest.Smile

Also, let me share with you (and others seeking advice) a couple of common sense but often overlooked thoughts when reading books and listening to the experts on marketing/business advice. One book or one person probably can’t answer all your questions. It takes a lifetime to learn all you need to know especially when learning marketing/sales/business. It's not so much that people in general change, but times do change and we must learn to do things in a different way than we did yesterday. I say soak up all the info you can because the more you know the more you can grow. We all need choices to find a good fit for us. It's been said that the one thing most successful people have in common is they are good listeners. Also let us not forget the ole saying, “Readers are Leaders”

BUT and this is really important, when searching for answers it's easy to start thinking to yourself, “I need to know as much as this person or that person before I get started.” I’ve seen it happen many times before where the ‘start’ never happens. The student waits not understanding that it’s simply the start that stops most people. Things will never be perfect and you will never know it all. And a true expert will be one of the first to come out and say, I don’t know it all.

Keep reading but most of all keep moving.

Tom

Yeah, I'll probably order that and "Bookkeeping for Dummies" at the beginning of the month, when the SS comes in. Unlike "Marketing for Dummies," "Bookkeeping" starts with the premise that I know NOTHING about bookkeeping, and takes me through the different steps slowly.
"...and if you're too afraid of goin' astray, you won't go anywhere." - Granny Weatherwax
TomBoleware
View Profile
Inner circle
Hattiesburg, Ms
3174 Posts

Profile of TomBoleware
Ed, soak it all up. They say you can tell a lot about a person by the size of their library.

Enjoy the reading.

Tom
TomBoleware
View Profile
Inner circle
Hattiesburg, Ms
3174 Posts

Profile of TomBoleware
Tajrung,

If you will message me your shipping address I will be happy to send you some books that may be of help.

Tom
Tajrung
View Profile
New user
37 Posts

Profile of Tajrung
Are you sure?
TomBoleware
View Profile
Inner circle
Hattiesburg, Ms
3174 Posts

Profile of TomBoleware
Quote:
On Sep 30, 2022, Tajrung wrote:
Are you sure?

Yes

Tom
MikeClay
View Profile
Special user
Atlanta GA
761 Posts

Profile of MikeClay
Ok, so I read through (skimmed, really) looking for answers to the Original thread and saw how fast things went off the rails.

As A guy who was a full-time entertainer but, due to medical issues, had to go back to his previous life (As a Marketing Consultant, Coach, and Full-Stack Marketer), I figured I would share some of my favorite Marketing / Business Books.

In doing that, let me explain something. Focusing on a NICHE expert in a NON-Niche market will put your thinking in a box and limit your ability to grow.
If you only read marketing advice from other entertainers, you can only grow to the height others have reached.

So let me start by sharing this.
A Friend I used to work with in an advanced Certification program and I started to write this for the program.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1......=sharing

it is incomplete, but was a part of a 30k certification program in Marketing. (I really should call Russ up and finish/update this for my new company)

Books not on the list.

1. Marketer as Philosopher: Flint McGlaughlin
2. Pre-Suasion: Robert Cialdini
3. Predictably Irrational: Dan Ariely
4. Built to Sell: John Warrillow
5. Hooked: Nir Eyal
6. The Shallows: Nicholas Carr
7. Extreme Ownership: Jocko Willink
8. How to Fight a Hydra: Josh Kaufman
9. Nudge: Richard H. Thaler
10. Wink and Grow Rish: Roger Hamilton

Some of you know me and have seen me around for years; others are new and have no clue.
So let me just say I post here occasionally not to sell ANYTHING, as I don't market to this industry, nor will I in the future.
When I give marketing advice or start leading you on a journey, understand that I do this with business owners DAILY.

The spreadsheet I posted was designed to help marketers think about the persuasion architecture they are building in sales copy, and most of the marketing books I focus on are in the same mindset with a HEAVY focus on Conversion and building to the conversion.

I have been accused of being an SEO guy, but while I have that skill set and can teach it, and have taught it, my focus is CONVERSION.
I see SEO as a WRENCH in a very large toolbox with MANY other tools. My philosophy of Digital Marketing is simple. Approach it like a Master Mechanic and not a wrench. Sometimes you need the wrench, sometimes ya don't
its ok.. balloon dogs don't bite
TomBoleware
View Profile
Inner circle
Hattiesburg, Ms
3174 Posts

Profile of TomBoleware
Hey Mike, good to see you back here. Thanks for sharing.

I completely agree that it is so easy for a magician to get caught up in the magic bubble that they are afraid to step out into the real world and listen to real-world people. If you are marketing to other magicians things would be different, but most are marketing to those that know nothing about magic. They speak a different language.

Tom
TomBoleware
View Profile
Inner circle
Hattiesburg, Ms
3174 Posts

Profile of TomBoleware
Another good business book that I noticed on my bookshelf is “Inside the Magic Kingdom: Seven Keys to Disney's Success”
By Tom Connellan

The book is mainly about customer service, but that alone can set your business apart from all the rest.
Highly recommended for any business owner.

Tom
ed rhodes
View Profile
Inner circle
Rhode Island
2889 Posts

Profile of ed rhodes
How about what would be good for a complete beginner? Going in, knowing nothing?
"...and if you're too afraid of goin' astray, you won't go anywhere." - Granny Weatherwax
Fedora
View Profile
Special user
Arizona, usa
774 Posts

Profile of Fedora
That kind of depends what you're going into, generally I would
suggest the "tricky business" forum.

one suggestion for restaurants specifically is "how to make a living as a professional magician"
i wrote a review for it here, https://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/view......746488#0

it's not great, but it's cheap, I think you might be better off searching or asking specific
things here.
TomBoleware
View Profile
Inner circle
Hattiesburg, Ms
3174 Posts

Profile of TomBoleware
Quote:
On Oct 28, 2022, ed rhodes wrote:
How about what would be good for a complete beginner? Going in, knowing nothing?

Oh I bet you already know more than you think Ed.

There is a ‘Dummies guide to starting your own business book.
But I don’t think you will find it all in one book.

Assuming you have a good product/service to offer, getting started is
simple, just buy yourself a few television commercials, a billboard on the
side of the road, and maybe some newspaper advertisements, and wait
for the phone to ring. LOL.

But seriously and if its a magic business, just ask Joe The Magician what he does
to get shows and start doing some of that. Then you can hop from one show to the
next learning and improving as you go.

Fedora said it well above, just ask away here in this section.
There is no such thing as a stupid question in the beginning,
and the only way to get answers is to ask.

Tom
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricky business » » Best books about marketing/buisness » » TOPIC IS LOCKED (42 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.04 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL