The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Nothing up my sleeve... » » An actual study on magicians blinking during sleights...hmmm (2 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

mindhunter
View Profile
Inner circle
Upstate NY
2280 Posts

Profile of mindhunter
Magicians blink more during moments of deception, study reveals https://mol.im/a/11182267 via https://dailym.ai/android

Thoughts?

Bryn
Bryn D. Reynolds, Author of:
"The Safwan Papers" & "The LOGAR Scrolls" Mentalism ebooks - PM any interest.
My artwork: https://darkmountainarts.com
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
27300 Posts

Profile of Jonathan Townsend
Stop using mirrors to rehearse.

Start using your cell phone to record video. Suggestion: buy a tripod mount for your phone.
...to all the coins I've dropped here
_Alex_
View Profile
New user
55 Posts

Profile of _Alex_
Haha that's very interesting. I agree with the video camera.
tonsofquestions
View Profile
Inner circle
1807 Posts

Profile of tonsofquestions
Research seems suspect to me. Or at least the person reporting on it.

Quote:
They only do this when they are performing to an audience, and not in practise

Quote:
They found that the performers did increase their blinking during actions of deception, but only when in front of a video audience.

These two things seem contradictory, not to mention the fact that what you do in practice is typically what you do in performance.

The concept of blinking to try and get your audience to do so is interesting, but without any separate evidence to suggest that the one can actually impact the other, it seems a bit far fetched - at least other than as wild speculation.
mindhunter
View Profile
Inner circle
Upstate NY
2280 Posts

Profile of mindhunter
Quote:
On Sep 5, 2022, Jonathan Townsend wrote:
Stop using mirrors to rehearse.

Start using your cell phone to record video. Suggestion: buy a tripod mount for your phone.

I started to film quick vids in my truck (while waiting for the kids at school pick-up) to post on my Instagram art page. Watching those replays to edit for posts has yielded HUGE benefits, and helps to tighten things up a lot.

I haven't noticed the blinking, but I have caught myself "looking away" when I do the dirty...super insightful!

Bryn
mindhunter
View Profile
Inner circle
Upstate NY
2280 Posts

Profile of mindhunter
[quote]On Sep 5, 2022, tonsofquestions wrote:
Research seems suspect to me. Or at least the person reporting on it.

Quote:
They only do this when they are performing to an audience, and not in practise

Quote:
They found that the performers did increase their blinking during actions of deception, but only when in front of a video audience.

Perhaps they subconsciously blink more when there are actual spectators, as opposed to practice sessions?

I don't know if our minds would actually take the leap to try to get others to blink in order to not see us do the sleights, but if so I find it fascinating!

It wasn't till I started filming my ???? New magic trick ???? series called: "Bored-AF-In-My-Pickup-AT-School-Pick-Up!"???? ????for my Instagram art page that I noticed my looking away from my hands during the sleight. While perhaps that I what I SHOULD be doing during performances, it certainly isn't during practice sessions, and if it wasn't for that video replay I'd have never caught it.

Bryn
Andy Young
View Profile
Special user
Jersey Shore, PA
822 Posts

Profile of Andy Young
I was at the Franklin Institute and read that people tend to blink more when they lie.

It seems like a common body language issue.
RicoGood
View Profile
Regular user
The devil told me
159 Posts

Profile of RicoGood
I practice with my eyes closed. this eliminates blinking In performance.
Ray Haining
View Profile
Inner circle
Hot Springs, AR
1907 Posts

Profile of Ray Haining
Magicians blink or look away when they do secret moves because they are deceiving people and feel guilty about it.
Ray J
View Profile
Inner circle
St. Louis, MO
1503 Posts

Profile of Ray J
If the audience is looking at your eyes, won't they miss the sleights anyway? Isn't that the whole reason we sometimes will ask a question or say something so that the audience member looks up at our face?
It's never crowded on the extra mile....
Julie
View Profile
Inner circle
3943 Posts

Profile of Julie
Quote:
On Sep 6, 2022, Tortuga wrote:
If the audience is looking at your eyes, won't they miss the sleights anyway? Isn't that the whole reason we sometimes will ask a question or say something so that the audience member looks up at our face?

I THINK the point is if you acquire the habit of blinking when you do a sleight, then you are not seeing what actually happens (or should appear to be happening). This has nothing to do with someone looking at your eyes. You may think you're doing a grand job, but the reality is you may not be...you might be fooling yourself! Smile

Julie
Ray J
View Profile
Inner circle
St. Louis, MO
1503 Posts

Profile of Ray J
Quote:
On Sep 6, 2022, Julie wrote:
Quote:
On Sep 6, 2022, Tortuga wrote:

I THINK the point is if you acquire the habit of blinking when you do a sleight, then you are not seeing what actually happens (or should appear to be happening). This has nothing to do with someone looking at your eyes. You may think you're doing a grand job, but the reality is you may not be...you might be fooling yourself! Smile

Julie

If you read the whole article, it points out that a 2016 study found that "spectators at a magic show tend to all blink at the same time".

Here are two pertinent portions of the article:

"'Our pattern of results points to a potentially interesting phenomenon: we suggest that magicians may be blinking their eyes when they carry out sleight of hand to encourage their audiences to do the same, thereby blinding the audience to any evidence of the magician's shenanigans.'"

And

"A 2016 study found that spectators of a magic show tend to all blink at the same time, a sign that their attention is relaxed.

The synchronised blinks occurred particularly at moments when the performer was carrying out secret actions that would give the trick away.

It was suggested that magicians know at which points the attention of the audience will dip, so that is when they do the things they want to go unnoticed.

Therefore magicians may be misdirecting their audience by encouraging them to blink, and relax their attention, during these moments."

Personally, I have a hard time believing the bit about all of the audience blinking at the same time. Maybe it is true, but it smacks of hyperbole to me.
It's never crowded on the extra mile....
Mitchael
View Profile
New user
39 Posts

Profile of Mitchael
If you are performing Slieght of Hand and are still consciously aware of a sleight being performed; my suggestion is to practice more. Muscle Memory should free your thoughts from any knowledge that a sleight is being executed. It should happen all by itself. It frees the mind to concentrate on patter and direction of attention.
gregg webb
View Profile
Inner circle
1564 Posts

Profile of gregg webb
Yes Mitchael. Another way of saying what many are saying would be to not look at the deck, say, when doing a Second Deal or Bottom Deal. Be good enough to not have to look at the deck. I first heard of these phrases-Blink Seconds and Blink Bottoms-from Steve Minch a long time ago.

I'm reminded that when Darwin Ortiz does riffle stacking, he looks at you, not at the deck. That gets us back to "practice more".
RNK
View Profile
Inner circle
7528 Posts

Profile of RNK
It's funny, when I am practicing a move/sleight I find that I always have a tendency to squint/close my eyes. I know I do this and I have to consciously try hard not to do it. But when I perform it doesn't happen. Very strange Smile
Check out Bafflingbob.com
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Nothing up my sleeve... » » An actual study on magicians blinking during sleights...hmmm (2 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL