The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Puzzle me this... » » Take the "F" Word Test (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
hoodrat
View Profile
Veteran user
Southern California
383 Posts

Profile of hoodrat
Here is something I came across on the Internet last week. I've been having a blast with this with friends and colleagues. It's a simple little test, but the results most likely will blow you away. Read on!

*******************THE "F" WORD TEST*****************

Instructions: Read the following sentence. Once you have read the sentence, go through it and count how many times the letter "F" appears. Once you've determined how many times the letter "F" appears in the sentence, scroll down further to see the answer and to obtain your score. Easy, huh? Well, have at it! Here's the sentence:

FINISHED FILES ARE THE RE-
SULT OF YEARS OF SCIENTIF-
IC STUDY COMBINED WITH
THE EXPERIENCE OF YEARS.

(scroll down for results!)

(keep scrolling)

You won't probably believe this, but the letter F appears in the above sentence a total of six times. Don't believe it? Go back and count them again! Most people only see three F's, and that is average. Very few people will see four or five F's, and it is EXTREMELY rare for someone to actually notice all six F's! We tend to NOT see the letter "F" in a certain word which, in this case, appears three times in the above sentence. Weird, huh?
Greg Arce
View Profile
Inner circle
6165 Posts

Profile of Greg Arce
Check Stunners Plus from Becker to see how he uses this principle.
Greg
One of my favorite quotes: "A critic is a legless man who teaches running."
Partizan
View Profile
Inner circle
London UK
1682 Posts

Profile of Partizan
I got 9.

but I started from where you say "Instructions: Read the following sentence"
"You cannot depend on your eyes when your imagination is out of focus."
- Mark Twain
Chrystal
View Profile
Inner circle
Canada/France
1552 Posts

Profile of Chrystal
LOL Partizan!

Yeah!! I got four the first time!
chajodawg
View Profile
New user
33 Posts

Profile of chajodawg
I got five. The funny part is I got the "F" in the first two "OF's," but then I missed the last one. Cool little test.
irossall
View Profile
Special user
Snohomish, Washington
529 Posts

Profile of irossall
Great little test. I counted 4, three times before looking at the answer and then I counted 5 after looking at the answer. When I went back to count again, for the 5th time, I finally counted 6.
I Love it. Any more of these little mindblowers?
Iven Smile
Give the gift of Life, Be an Organ Donor.
GlenD
View Profile
Inner circle
LosAngeles, Ca
1296 Posts

Profile of GlenD
That is a good one, I had seen it years ago from a fellow named Ray Comfort (I think). So I knew about the other two most often overlooked "F"'s.
Ray had it printed on a business card with an evangelstic message on the other side.

GlenD
"A miracle is something that seems impossible but happens anyway" - Griffin

"Any future where you succeed, is one where you tell the truth." - Griffin (Griffin rocks!)
Andini
View Profile
Special user
Columbus, OH
685 Posts

Profile of Andini
Wow! I counted 3 F's over and over even though I cheated and KNEW there were 6. The "OF"s really through me. Those were the ones that I missed.
irossall
View Profile
Special user
Snohomish, Washington
529 Posts

Profile of irossall
Can anyone here explain how this works?
Iven Smile
Give the gift of Life, Be an Organ Donor.
Schaden
View Profile
Inner circle
Purgatory
1253 Posts

Profile of Schaden
I read a big chapter on this and I am still not clear on it. However, normal human brains tend to filter out useless information. This includes the other 3 fs. So, if you overlooked them your brain is working fine. If you didn't over look them you might have a problem. Autistic Savants don't have that filter so they would count all the fs. They probably would even memorize the sentence in the process of reading it. Whats the first word of the sentence? If you don't remeber, consider it a blessing.

Lee
Reis O'Brien
View Profile
Inner circle
Seattle, WA
2467 Posts

Profile of Reis O'Brien
I got 6. Is something wrong with me?
Homo vult decipi; decipiatur

http://www.myspace.com/liar_4_hire
Schaden
View Profile
Inner circle
Purgatory
1253 Posts

Profile of Schaden
Yeah.... you are one sick son of a woman.

Lee

P.S. Consult local Physician.
Kevin Ram
View Profile
Special user
Travelling through Europe
791 Posts

Profile of Kevin Ram
I got 6 as well.

But went back over and can see how you could miss them.
"Your the Italian stallion" As said by my g/friend
Partizan
View Profile
Inner circle
London UK
1682 Posts

Profile of Partizan
This effect can be the basis for misinterpretation (phew what a word!!!) of many texts.
By exclusion of gash words a text can assume a different nature from its original context. Yet, This is a technique of memorization. To only memorize key words and to gash the rest of the redundant text. The gash text can be filled back in using basic rules.
"You cannot depend on your eyes when your imagination is out of focus."
- Mark Twain
marko
View Profile
Inner circle
2110 Posts

Profile of marko
I got six, but since I had a feeling this would be a tricky test, I was extra careful and noticed the ofs. Otherwise, I could see how one might miss them. Very interesting.
Thought: Why does man kill? He kills for food. And not only food: frequently there must be a beverage.
hoodrat
View Profile
Veteran user
Southern California
383 Posts

Profile of hoodrat
Glad that people are finding this little "test" that I posted interesting.

I have watched people go through the sentence, which I have printed on a sheet of paper, and carefully look for all six "F's". 98% only find three. Once I tell them there are six "F's" in the sentence, they will do it again even using their finger as a pointer to glide it along under each word as they look for the letter "F". And they still will miss the three "F's" in the word "OF! It's sort of weird (and eerie) to watch them literally pass right by the letter "F" with their finger three times and remain totally oblivious to them!

By the way, I only found three as well when I first did it. Even after knowing that there were six "F's", I still could only find three!!
Dizzy
View Profile
Elite user
UK
437 Posts

Profile of Dizzy
I got 6 F's (after I read the sentence four times). Does that mean that I'm extra special or extra (actually don't answer that I'm ultra sensitive)
Jordini
View Profile
Inner circle
San Francisco
2766 Posts

Profile of Jordini
I also got six....
"Illusion is the first of all pleasures."
Oscar Wilde

"If you only knew the hours I spent just thinking about practicing"
-The Amazing Jonathan
Mr. Ed
View Profile
Veteran user
California
337 Posts

Profile of Mr. Ed
I got 6 f's

In school, maybe that's why I only counted 2.

Stupid tests. Their biased towards the people who know stuff.
He who laughs, lasts.
Bill Hallahan
View Profile
Inner circle
New Hampshire
3212 Posts

Profile of Bill Hallahan
The result when I took this test is here:
F-gambit
Humans make life so interesting. Do you know that in a universe so full of wonders, they have managed to create boredom. Quite astonishing.
- The character of ‘Death’ in the movie "Hogswatch"
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Puzzle me this... » » Take the "F" Word Test (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.11 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL