The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Puzzle me this... » » Take the "F" Word Test (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
Mack Magic
View Profile
Loyal user
The Burgh' Pittsburgh, PA
268 Posts

Profile of Mack Magic
I got six as well.

The reason for that might be though is that I got the same test in an email a year ago.

But that is beside the point. *grins*

Mack Magic
* "May your life be like toliet paper..long and useful."
* "If the shoe fits, get another one just like it."
* "Use the talents you have, for the woods would be a very silent place if only the best birds sang!"
abc
View Profile
Inner circle
South African in Taiwan
1081 Posts

Profile of abc
Quote:
On 2004-07-01 13:24, Firedice27 wrote:
I got 6. Is something wrong with me?

? LOL ?
Maybe. Do you make funny faces at yourself in the mirror?
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
26995 Posts

Profile of Jonathan Townsend
Ordinarily, it's the mind that does the deleting. If your BRAIN is doing that for you... might want to get some help.
...to all the coins I've dropped here
Avrakdavra
View Profile
Loyal user
The Pine Tree State, USA
224 Posts

Profile of Avrakdavra
The missing 'f's are not so much deleted as they are accessed according to their phonetic value (which, in this case is, of course, the 'v' sound in "of"). This is made possible by the English language's particular way of encoding sounds in its writing system. You may also notice that you sometimes (e.g. when tired) tend to type homonyms (like "groan" for "grown," "band" for "banned," etc.) for similar reasons, i.e. you are tapping into a word store, the entries of which are "listed" primarily by sound, with additional processing needed for getting the spelling correct. Confusing, yes, but there are also advantages to the seemingly willy-nilly English spelling system. Amusing puzzles are just one of them.
handsofmagic
View Profile
New user
29 Posts

Profile of handsofmagic
If you got six, don't go away mad, just go.
Antz
View Profile
Regular user
120 Posts

Profile of Antz
Yeay I got 6.

Looks like I can finally apply for Mensa now. lol
Muddy
View Profile
Elite user
449 Posts

Profile of Muddy
This is fun!

Interesting note:

I tested this on a non-native speaker of English ... that is his first language was Spanish and English was a second language for him ... he only counted 3.

I'm fairly certain that a non English speaker would count all 6, but Im going to test that theory soon ..
The Mighty Fool
View Profile
Inner circle
I feel like a big-top tent having
2115 Posts

Profile of The Mighty Fool
I didn't find even ONE 'f'! : (
Everybody wants to beleive.....we just help them along.
Muddy
View Profile
Elite user
449 Posts

Profile of Muddy
I just tried it on someone who only speaks Spanish and Quechua ... they found all six no problem ... which makes sense ...

It did work on the bilingual (English - Spanish) person I asked though which I find interesting ...
Daniel Santos
View Profile
Special user
562 Posts

Profile of Daniel Santos
I found 3 at first, and then the second time I looked it over (before looking at the answer) I ended up counting the six. That is pretty cool Smile.
If it is to be, it is up to me.
Wolflock
View Profile
Inner circle
South Africa
2250 Posts

Profile of Wolflock
Brilliant. I counted three for about 4 times and could not figure out what everyone was talking about. Then went and read it C A R E F U L L Y.
****, that is good.
Wolflock
Pro Magician & Escapologist
Member of JMC (Johannesburg Magic Circle)
South Africa
JohnDoh
View Profile
New user
85 Posts

Profile of JohnDoh
If it's driving you crazy hit ctrl-F and let the computer do the work.
-(Found six the first time, feeling pretty proud right about now)
daffydoug
View Profile
Eternal Order
Look mom! I've got
14044 Posts

Profile of daffydoug
Got six, but was being EXTREMELY careful so as not to get tricked. I ran my cursor slowly over the whole thing as I counted.
The difficult must become easy, the easy beautiful and the beautiful magical.
squando
View Profile
Elite user
444 Posts

Profile of squando
On a printed page, ask folk to turn the page upside down....finding the f's is easier
Frank
Donal Chayce
View Profile
Inner circle
1770 Posts

Profile of Donal Chayce
Yep, it got me. I counted 3 the first time, 4 the second time, and had to go letter by letter to get 6 the third time.
Christopher Caldwell
View Profile
New user
Scottsdale, Arizona
86 Posts

Profile of Christopher Caldwell
Quote:
On 2004-07-06 10:06, Avrakdavra wrote:
The missing 'f's are not so much deleted as they are accessed according to their phonetic value (which, in this case is, of course, the 'v' sound in "of"). This is made possible by the English language's particular way of encoding sounds in its writing system. You may also notice that you sometimes (e.g. when tired) tend to type homonyms (like "groan" for "grown," "band" for "banned," etc.) for similar reasons, i.e. you are tapping into a word store, the entries of which are "listed" primarily by sound, with additional processing needed for getting the spelling correct. Confusing, yes, but there are also advantages to the seemingly willy-nilly English spelling system. Amusing puzzles are just one of them.

My mother showed me this puzzle 40 years ago. The instruction on the card she gave me (with the sentence printed) was "Read the following sentence OUT LOUD. Then go back and count the Fs out loud." Reading it aloud was the reason so many people counted only 3 Fs for the reasons explained above.
0pus
View Profile
Inner circle
New Jersey
1740 Posts

Profile of 0pus
I got one.

There's a trick here.

hoodrat said:

Quote:
Instructions: Read the following sentence.

The sentence immediately following that command is:

Quote:
Once you have read the sentence, go through it and count how many times the letter "F" appears.

Counting the "F's" in that sentence, I get only one.

The remainder of the post is actually something of a red herring.
Demon5magic
View Profile
New user
35 Posts

Profile of Demon5magic
I got six, but I was extra careful when I was reading it.....
kcg5
View Profile
Inner circle
who wants four fried chickens and a coke
1875 Posts

Profile of kcg5
Quote:
On 2008-12-11 17:14, 0pus wrote:
I got one.

There's a trick here.

hoodrat said:

Quote:
Instructions: Read the following sentence.

The sentence immediately following that command is:

Quote:
Once you have read the sentence, go through it and count how many times the letter "F" appears.

Counting the "F's" in that sentence, I get only one.

The remainder of the post is actually something of a red herring.

Just what I thought. I did miss the "of" ('s) in the original, but then read in intro again and counted 6. Then I read some of the posts and caught the "of", so its a total of 9?
Nobody expects the spanish inquisition!!!!!

"History will be kind to me, as I intend to write it"- Sir Winston Churchill
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Puzzle me this... » » Take the "F" Word Test (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.21 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL