The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » Airline Magic troubles??? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

felixjr
View Profile
Loyal user
221 Posts

Profile of felixjr
I am about to take my first airplane trip since 9/11 and was wondering if any of you have taken your magic case, trunk, etc. which you had to open and have searched by airport personal. I have no plans to do any magic during the flight, just need to know if I should check in my magic case or carry it on with me.

Anyone have any suggestions or stories to tell about packing up your magic and flying somewhere with it?

Thanks again,

Felixjr
irossall
View Profile
Special user
Snohomish, Washington
529 Posts

Profile of irossall
A friend of mine just got back from Russia and he told me that airport security was very interested in his props but as soon as he told them what they were (and I think he did a quick effect for them) they just let him pass through. A funny (or not so funny) thing is the fact that he got through security with a switchblade knife/butane lighter combo, without any problem. The knife looked like it had a 3" blade. When I went to canada a couple of years ago, customs took my little (and very dull) Swiss Army Knife and never gave it back. Go figure.
Iven Smile
Give the gift of Life, Be an Organ Donor.
rtgreen
View Profile
Inner circle
Portland, Oregon
1322 Posts

Profile of rtgreen
I haven't had any trouble traveling with my props, but I don't anything too dangerous looking with me. (Though I do always have trouble getting my shoes through security.)

I always carry them on with me (Checked luggage does get lost sometimes) and security doesn't seem to have a problem with any of them.

Two things have surprised me so far:

First, I carry a set of brass Charlie Miller cups with me. They are solid brass and must have a strange image on the x-ray. To me they would be very suspicious. Yet, I have never had them questioned. Sometimes they will pause the x-ray, but they eventually let them pass with no questions.

Second, when my bag is opened by security, I am always amazed by the respect they show toward the props. They will often ask questions about what it is like to be a magician, but they have never gone through the props, examined them beyond their duties, or asked me how they worked.
felixjr
View Profile
Loyal user
221 Posts

Profile of felixjr
Thanks Iven and Rtgreen,

Thanks for the info! Do you or anyone else put your card or some id that tells security that you are a
magician?

Thanks,

Felixjr
rtgreen
View Profile
Inner circle
Portland, Oregon
1322 Posts

Profile of rtgreen
I never really thought about it, but I do have a luggage tag the says I am a magician. It's really there as a conversation starter while I'm waiting for the plane, but maybe that is why securtiy doesn't question too much.
Rob Johnston
View Profile
Inner circle
Utah
2060 Posts

Profile of Rob Johnston
Just use common sense.

And don't pack more of your questionable materials in the carry-on.
"Genius is another word for magic, and the whole point of magic is that it is inexplicable." - Margot Fonteyn
Michael Baker
View Profile
Eternal Order
Near a river in the Midwest
11172 Posts

Profile of Michael Baker
I was given the "extra attention" about a year ago when a jumbo coin positioned alongside a purse frame looked like a hand grenade to the X-ray personnel (TRUE!).

I have had my bag searched many times because of odd metal objects, mainly cups.

Although these may be urban legends of magic, I have also heard of problems going through customs over fanning powder and slush powder.

I am careful to double check my bag before I fly, with an eye specifically on possible "no-no's". It's easy to take some things for granted. I carry no flashpaper, lighter fluid, or anything else flammable. I carry no knives (color changing or otherwise), and I try to put the questionable metal objects where they can be spotted and inspected easily.
~michael baker
The Magic Company
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » Airline Magic troubles??? (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.01 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL