The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » FORTUNA by David Jonathan & Nikolas Mavresis (50 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2~3~4~5~6~7 [Next]
TuneHV
View Profile
Inner circle
New York
1924 Posts

Profile of TuneHV
Nikolas Mavresis and I just launched FORTUNA and we are super excited to share it with the community. We believe this is the pinnacle solution to the classic Mental Choice (aka Hypnotic Choice) mu****** o** style effect.

We have some truly wonderful testimonials that you can read on our website, but please don't just take their word for it, we show you *everything* in the trailer linked below as we want to be as upfront and honest with what you are getting as we can be. Hope you enjoy it!
David Jonathan
- - - - - - - - -
www.davidjonathanmagic.com
bentpenny
View Profile
Regular user
107 Posts

Profile of bentpenny
Absolute respect for the transparency of your trailer! Looks like a well thought out package from start to finish (my sense is that this was a fun trick to develop as well)!
Forza Azzurri
View Profile
New user
84 Posts

Profile of Forza Azzurri
Looks like we were both posting this topic at the same time! Anyone know how to delete an entire topic such as my duplicate one? We did it apparently within 120 seconds (2 minutes) and actually chose the exact same title.
Forza Azzurri
View Profile
New user
84 Posts

Profile of Forza Azzurri
Hoping my duplicate thread gets deleted, here's what I originally posted:

I just got a heads up over the transom of David Jonathan's latest, FORTUNA (not to be confused with his Fourtunate). It's a classic effect called "mental choice" using custom materials produced specifically for the effect. The method is far from unusual but as a David Jonathan fan (I've bought three or four of his products and attended one online lecture) I have yet to be disappointed with anything I've picked up from him so far. I've have already purchased this and am waiting for it so I can comment more authoritatively or respond to questions. The cards are supposed to be printed on plastic stock and I'm hoping for some good long-term durability. Right now it looks like you can only get it from his site. Here's the link to the Youtube trailer but on his site he actually reveals all of the outs in an unprotected video for the product.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JFpwqyxFxE0

Two things to note: this is my first time posting a new topic on "Latest and Greatest" so let me know if I'm out of line. Second, I am totally unaffiliated with David or his company.
rowdymagi5
View Profile
Inner circle
Virginia
3431 Posts

Profile of rowdymagi5
This looks good, definitely the best multiple out version I have seen so far!
magicinsight
View Profile
Inner circle
4133 Posts

Profile of magicinsight
The cards have a wonderful aged look. All of the outs are strong. Great job, Jonathan!
“Belief matters more than truth. Every moment, belief in imaginary things alters lives while truth sits unnoticed and waits.”
—Hakim, Loreweaver
emyers99
View Profile
Inner circle
Columbus, Ohio
4418 Posts

Profile of emyers99
Great trailer. Looks like another winner.
videoman
View Profile
Inner circle
6116 Posts

Profile of videoman
Nice job guys!
Love the premise and the look of the cards. And combining the cards to make the prediction is brilliant.
Is the envelope heavy weight paper?

PS- Have to admit that the outs are nice but I’d still be hoping they choose the elephant. Smile
bentpenny
View Profile
Regular user
107 Posts

Profile of bentpenny
The elephant is also my favorite too.
TuneHV
View Profile
Inner circle
New York
1924 Posts

Profile of TuneHV
Quote:
On Sep 14, 2022, videoman wrote:
Nice job guys!
Love the premise and the look of the cards. And combining the cards to make the prediction is brilliant.
Is the envelope heavy weight paper?

PS- Have to admit that the outs are nice but I’d still be hoping they choose the elephant. Smile

Thank you. The envelopes are constructed from 80lb. stock and I believe are 120gsm (and with the label affixed feels even sturdier).

I agree that the elephant is the strongest, but its nice to know that no matter how it goes, you will have a powerful reveal - which in our opinion, we could not confidently say in other versions that offered at least 5 choices.

With that said, in our experience, the elephant does get chosen the most (people really love elephants apparently) and it is also positioned in the row where it hits the most psychologically.
David Jonathan
- - - - - - - - -
Forza Azzurri
View Profile
New user
84 Posts

Profile of Forza Azzurri
So just tallying up all of the effects/tools I've picked up from David so far, and this would be my fourth: Stroop Test, SNAPS, You Know (UNO), and now FORTUNA.
SharkTrager442
View Profile
New user
90 Posts

Profile of SharkTrager442
It's a yes from me. Absolutely love the simplicity and theme of luck works into other effects I do. Great job.
RNK
View Profile
Inner circle
6479 Posts

Profile of RNK
Very nice David! You truly are developing a great track record. Love the graphics on this one, well done.

Thanks for being so honest and open.
dooblehorn
View Profile
Inner circle
Pittsburg, CA
2310 Posts

Profile of dooblehorn
Love just about everything put out by David. Had no hesitation ordering this immediately. I've never been disappointed by anything with David's name attached. I have other versions of this effect, but this one is a bit different, I really like it. And miracle of miracles it's reasonably priced and NOT a preorder!!
Magic from A to Z
View Profile
Elite user
Sweet Home Alabama
457 Posts

Profile of Magic from A to Z
I haven't bought this yet, but me, personally living in Alabama, I would think that the elephant would appear to look like too much of a force from the perspective view of the participant.

As they say here, in Alabama... Roll Tide!!! although I'm personally not a Tide fan.

David, How did you come up with the elephant as a good luck image? What was the thought process? Just interested...

Thanks,,,
TuneHV
View Profile
Inner circle
New York
1924 Posts

Profile of TuneHV
Quote:
On Sep 15, 2022, Magic from A to Z wrote:
I haven't bought this yet, but me, personally living in Alabama, I would think that the elephant would appear to look like too much of a force from the perspective view of the participant.

As they say here, in Alabama... Roll Tide!!! although I'm personally not a Tide fan.

David, How did you come up with the elephant as a good luck image? What was the thought process? Just interested...

Thanks,,,

Lol, I'm sure that reference is going to go over the heads of lots of magicians as they generally seem allergic to sports, but that's really funny.

As for the elephant - it's a very popular symbol of luck in Asia. In an effort to keep the length of the trailer reasonable, I cut the part where we introduce the cards and talk briefly about the various origins of each and the cultures throughout the world where they derived from. That small bit of scripting is all covered in the tutorial.

This is too much detail, but there is also an interesting debate as to the elephant only being considered lucky if its trunk is pointed upward. If you watched the full trailer, you will see that ours obviously had to be aimed down, but thankfully in the Eastern world apparently the opposite is considered lucky so that worked out nicely in our favor.
David Jonathan
- - - - - - - - -
NeilS
View Profile
Inner circle
2868 Posts

Profile of NeilS
It is not often that I buy an effect knowing the workings and secret beforehand but with Fortuna I am making an exception.

I can really see me using this and having a lot of fun presenting it. It is practical and a worker.

Also, thinking about the presentation, you could ask the spectator to ‘chose’ one but actually slightly mispronounce it so it sounds like ‘shoes’ one. If they choose the horseshoe, you could mention this subtle influence.

Neil
phillsmiff
View Profile
Inner circle
UK
1721 Posts

Profile of phillsmiff
I had a sneak preview of this project early on and I loved the old school methodology, MO is very underexplored I think and this effect gives a very tidy, self-contained framework to use it - as Neil says, it's super practical and very commercial.

Phill
Get the elegant Amethyst DMC ELITES V5 deck while stocks last (8 bricks left from this run):
-+: https://store.dmcmagic.com/ :+-
NeilS
View Profile
Inner circle
2868 Posts

Profile of NeilS
Quote:
On Sep 15, 2022, NeilS wrote:

Also, thinking about the presentation, you could ask the spectator to ‘chose’ one but actually slightly mispronounce it so it sounds like ‘shoes’ one. If they choose the horseshoe, you could mention this subtle influence.

Neil

A typo in the above. '...ask the spectator to 'choose' one ...'

Neil
mavresis_n
View Profile
New user
73 Posts

Profile of mavresis_n
Quote:
On Sep 15, 2022, NeilS wrote:
It is not often that I buy an effect knowing the workings and secret beforehand but with Fortuna I am making an exception.

I can really see me using this and having a lot of fun presenting it. It is practical and a worker.

Neil

Hey Neil, thanks for your constant support! Really appreciate it!

Nikolas
PortraIT | The Blessing | FORTUNA | Personality | Memories | The A Project | Stroop Test | CineMental | The Collector | Sumology | Zener Match | Spellebrity | Destinations | POISON |

www.mavresis.com/shop
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » FORTUNA by David Jonathan & Nikolas Mavresis (50 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2~3~4~5~6~7 [Next]
X
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2022 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL