The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » FORTUNA by David Jonathan & Nikolas Mavresis (50 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6~7 [Next]
Gaz Lawrence
View Profile
Inner circle
6014 Posts

Profile of Gaz Lawrence
I’ve ordered this directly from David.
The honesty of the trailer and the strength of all the outs make this better than previous versions of this principle imho.
That’s what sold it to me, I also like how it’s streamlined and minimalistic so a layman would never think it could of gone another way.
David’s a very honest creative genius who is definately on a roll.
Great ideas by Neil S and others on this thread too Gaz Smile
NeilS
View Profile
Inner circle
2868 Posts

Profile of NeilS
Thanks Gaz.

Also not only was the trailer refreshingly honest but I really like how David and Nikolas are handling the orders. This helps reduce postage costs for all and already Nikolas has despatched my order from Cyprus.

Neil
TuneHV
View Profile
Inner circle
New York
1924 Posts

Profile of TuneHV
Quote:
On Sep 17, 2022, NeilS wrote:
Thanks Gaz.

Also not only was the trailer refreshingly honest but I really like how David and Nikolas are handling the orders. This helps reduce postage costs for all and already Nikolas has despatched my order from Cyprus.

Neil

Thanks, though I do need to chime in as that shipping offer is only while supplies last - and Nikolas has just ONE left in his inventory at the time of posting (and will be some time before his stock is replenished). I have more inventory here in the U.S. that ships worldwide, though I'm not expecting it to last long for this initial batch.
David Jonathan
- - - - - - - - -
www.davidjonathanmagic.com
Wravyn
View Profile
Inner circle
2848 Posts

Profile of Wravyn
I enjoy MO tricks, yet this one, for me just doesn't tick the right boxes. I am not sure what it is about it that doesn't intrigue me, though it does look well made. Also, if the tutorials are like the other products that David has put out, those too will be too notch. I am going to pass on this one but wish you best in it's success.
1KJ
View Profile
Inner circle
Warning: We will run out of new tricks in
4145 Posts

Profile of 1KJ
That is a bautiful set of props. I particularly like the elephant, but they are all good. Maybe I missed it, but I was wondering, does the chip "dissapear" if you pull out the card from the envelope? Can you show the the inside of the envelope? No problem either way, just curious.
Gaz Lawrence
View Profile
Inner circle
6014 Posts

Profile of Gaz Lawrence
Yes you can show the inside of the envelope empty after removing the chip or the card Gaz Smile
1KJ
View Profile
Inner circle
Warning: We will run out of new tricks in
4145 Posts

Profile of 1KJ
Quote:
On Sep 17, 2022, Gaz Lawrence wrote:
Yes you can show the inside of the envelope empty after removing the chip or the card Gaz Smile

Nice! This is a very clever multiple out. I have really steered away from multiple out routines, but this one is unique.

KJ
EZrhythm
View Profile
Inner circle
Only three EZ payments for a PDF of my
1531 Posts

Profile of EZrhythm
Quote:
On Sep 17, 2022, Wravyn wrote:
I enjoy MO tricks, yet this one, for me just doesn't tick the right boxes. I am not sure what it is about it that doesn't intrigue me, though it does look well made. Also, if the tutorials are like the other products that David has put out, those too will be too notch. I am going to pass on this one but wish you best in it's success.

I agree! The effect is certainly creative but somehow is lacking the WOW factor. It also needs another phase or two. Now that would be impressive.
How many magicians does it take to change a lightbulb? Regardless, for magicians darkness is a time for d'lite.
leipzisch
View Profile
Special user
563 Posts

Profile of leipzisch
Any multiple out effect is only as good as the framing and presentation offered by the performer. It requires strong performance skills.

Fortuna deals with the 'technical' side of things (convincing outs). It's over to you turn that into something engaging and impressive.
NeilS
View Profile
Inner circle
2868 Posts

Profile of NeilS
Quote:
On Sep 18, 2022, leipzisch wrote:

Fortuna deals with the 'technical' side of things (convincing outs). It's over to you turn that into something engaging and impressive.

Well said.

It is worth spending some time reading about the featured charms. Not only is this fascinating in itself but can add so much to any presentation.

Neil
EZrhythm
View Profile
Inner circle
Only three EZ payments for a PDF of my
1531 Posts

Profile of EZrhythm
Quote:
Any multiple out effect is only as good as the framing and presentation offered by the performer. It requires strong performance skills.

I agree and with many effects it is up to the performer to provide good framing and presentation. Even with that said I still say something about FORTUNA is lacking in the WOW factor department. I am concluding that it could use another phase like as with other effects that then show at the end, "...your choice was the only one possible." Even another phase emphasizing their choice would be a great boost.
How many magicians does it take to change a lightbulb? Regardless, for magicians darkness is a time for d'lite.
bentpenny
View Profile
Regular user
107 Posts

Profile of bentpenny
I'm not sure about the Tumi, Cornicello, or Caduceus outs, but the Horseshoe lead me to think of using the poker chip out as a good segue into Eric Tait's Ultra Lucky Coin routine.
NeilS
View Profile
Inner circle
2868 Posts

Profile of NeilS
Quote:
On Sep 19, 2022, EZrhythm wrote:
Quote:

I agree and with many effects it is up to the performer to provide good framing and presentation. Even with that said I still say something about FORTUNA is lacking in the WOW factor department. I am concluding that it could use another phase like as with other effects that then show at the end, "...your choice was the only one possible." Even another phase emphasizing their choice would be a great boost.

Yes, this is why it could be helpful to include subtle 'influences' in your patter and presentation, a bit like in Paul Brook's It's Your Choice.

One I am going to use is mispronounce choose by saying shoes. If the horseshoe is chosen I will point this out. Equally all the other choices will be taken care of eg at the start of the presentation I'll say this is something shown to me many years ago - and if Tumi is chosen, again I will mention that I said 'to me' (Tumi) right at the start.

You could use gestures, intonation etc as ways of indicating other choices.

Neil
Elmer 84
View Profile
New user
93 Posts

Profile of Elmer 84
What a great MO trick. Every outcome is strong. I agree with people who say the poker chip is incongruent. I'd use a lucky charm instead.
SharkTrager442
View Profile
New user
90 Posts

Profile of SharkTrager442
I already do a few routines that talk about the power of creating luck. This will work great in this context. Talking about Helen Hadsell and how luck converges with ESP. Can't wait to receive mine.
Marc Edgar
View Profile
Regular user
133 Posts

Profile of Marc Edgar
This brilliant effect arrived today. I recently picked up Decision Point, which is also great. However, I suspect I'll perform Fortuna even more frequently.

Fortuna has an intriguing hook, magnificently designed props (especially the sticker on the envelope!), and 5 strong outs. I realize this is subjective, but my 3 favorites are the elephant, the cornicello, and the tumi--probably in that order. The caduceus is also very strong. My least favorite is the horseshoe. I'm an American, and since the horseshoe is the most recognizable and "obvious" lucky charm in America, I'm guessing most of my participants will avoid it. But that remains to be seen. Either way, it is a solid out, so I'm not worried.

Congratulations to David and Nikolas--two of my favorite creators--on another awesome release!
mavresis_n
View Profile
New user
73 Posts

Profile of mavresis_n
Quote:
On Sep 19, 2022, Marc Edgar wrote:
This brilliant effect arrived today. I recently picked up Decision Point, which is also great. However, I suspect I'll perform Fortuna even more frequently.

Fortuna has an intriguing hook, magnificently designed props (especially the sticker on the envelope!), and 5 strong outs. I realize this is subjective, but my 3 favorites are the elephant, the cornicello, and the tumi--probably in that order. The caduceus is also very strong. My least favorite is the horseshoe. I'm an American, and since the horseshoe is the most recognizable and "obvious" lucky charm in America, I'm guessing most of my participants will avoid it. But that remains to be seen. Either way, it is a solid out, so I'm not worried.

Congratulations to David and Nikolas--two of my favorite creators--on another awesome release!

Thanks so much, Marc. We appreciate your support!

Nikolas
PortraIT | The Blessing | FORTUNA | Personality | Memories | The A Project | Stroop Test | CineMental | The Collector | Sumology | Zener Match | Spellebrity | Destinations | POISON |

www.mavresis.com/shop
Forza Azzurri
View Profile
New user
84 Posts

Profile of Forza Azzurri
Quote:
On Sep 16, 2022, oombob wrote:
This looks great. I don’t have this yet, but would be inclined to try trading out the poker chip for an actual horse shoe charm. I imagine these would be pretty easy to source. This could then be handed to your spectator as a keepsake.

What a nifty idea! Instead of a charm, I'm googling "horseshoe poker chips" and finding several possibilities as a giveaway. It would be nice to retain the reveal of the horseshoe on the other side of the chip and give out that actual chip. Alternative would be to make your own custom giveaway chip via Pokerchips.com (not a recommendation since I've never used them . . . yet). The custom giveaway chip could also have your own logo or business information as a giveaway.

So any small horseshoe-ish object that can fit in the same footprint as the supplied horseshoe poker chip opens up a lot of creative possibilities. I've found that a lot of David's products are similarly modifiable. For instance I do different versions of his You Know (UNO), which I DO recommend, with different Uno decks like St. Louis Cardinals and Star Trek.
Forza Azzurri
View Profile
New user
84 Posts

Profile of Forza Azzurri
Received this yesterday (fast shipping - ordered and received in the US in less than a week). Very nice quality props. For the record, here's my personal preference for the various outs in order.

1. Elephant (Mr. Mavresis really likes the elephant too!)
2. Tumi (and if you like that and don't already have it look into getting Snaps which won the 2020 "Trick of the Year")
3. Poker Chip
4. Cornicello (the label is devastatingly well designed)
5. Caduceus

And, yes, I am an avid fan of David Jonathan's products.
dman11
View Profile
Special user
PA
868 Posts

Profile of dman11
Quote:
On Sep 20, 2022, Forza Azzurri wrote:
For the record, here's my personal preference for the various outs in order.

1. Elephant (Mr. Mavresis really likes the elephant too!)
2. Tumi (and if you like that and don't already have it look into getting Snaps which won the 2020 "Trick of the Year")
3. Poker Chip
4. Cornicello (the label is devastatingly well designed)
5. Caduceus

Sounds fun, here are my 5 - however, I have not performed it yet so this could easily change based on spec reactions:
1. Elephant
2. Tumi
3. Caduceus
4. Poker Chip
5. Cornicello
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » FORTUNA by David Jonathan & Nikolas Mavresis (50 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6~7 [Next]
X
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2022 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL