The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » FORTUNA by David Jonathan & Nikolas Mavresis (50 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6~7 [Next]
Gaz Lawrence
View Profile
Inner circle
6014 Posts

Profile of Gaz Lawrence
There is 5 extremely strong outs here but if I had to pick an order and why it would be this.
1) Elephant (reason is obvious)
2) Tumi (because you are still not returning to the envelope)
3) Cornicello (has to be because you have already suggested this at the start so makes sense)
4) Poker Chip (because if you have to return to the contents it makes sense that it’s not a card, otherwise arguably you would have got that card out at the start)
5) Caduceus (see point 4)

Like I said they are all very strong and there is only a tiny amount separating 3,4 and 5.
This is just my opinion for what it’s worth but it’s a really great multiple out and a brilliant release Gaz Smile

One thought I had is they could of had my 3 and 5 on the back and front of just one card and introduce Cornicello at the start and leave it that way up.
Then refer back to it if need be or turn it over if need be.
This way you would only have the one thing in a regular envelope so that could be examined.
I’m sure it’s better the way it is though so it was just a thought Gaz Smile ps on the envelope you would just have written lucky choice or are you lucky etc
saysold1
View Profile
Eternal Order
Recovering Cafe addict with only
10725 Posts

Profile of saysold1
I ordered today and I am looking forward.

On a side note, has anyone discussed or mentioned the meanings and history of the lucky charms themselves?

I had never heard of a Cornicello before... but could make for some interesting patter.

Cool release.
Creator of The SvenPad Supreme(R) line of premium, made in the USA utility props. https://svenpads.com/
Gaz Lawrence
View Profile
Inner circle
6014 Posts

Profile of Gaz Lawrence
Hi Brett that one is an Italian lucky charm my friend Gaz Smile ps like an Italian ice cream Cornetto that’s where that’s derived from
dooblehorn
View Profile
Inner circle
Pittsburg, CA
2310 Posts

Profile of dooblehorn
Yes, never personally heard of Caduceus or Cornicello; in any case, got mine finally today after post office lost it for a bit, cannot to learn and practice it.
TuneHV
View Profile
Inner circle
New York
1924 Posts

Profile of TuneHV
In an effort to keep the length of the trailer reasonable, I didn't include the part where we first introduce the charms and talk briefly about the various origins of each and the cultures throughout the world where they derived from. That small bit of scripting, along with more live performance footage, are all in the tutorial.
David Jonathan
- - - - - - - - -
www.davidjonathanmagic.com
saysold1
View Profile
Eternal Order
10725 Posts

Profile of saysold1
Quote:
On Sep 21, 2022, TuneHV wrote:
In an effort to keep the length of the trailer reasonable, I didn't include the part where we first introduce the charms and talk briefly about the various origins of each and the cultures throughout the world where they derived from. That small bit of scripting, along with more live performance footage, are all in the tutorial.

Thank you
Creator of The SvenPad Supreme(R) line of premium, made in the USA utility props. https://svenpads.com/
saysold1
View Profile
Eternal Order
10725 Posts

Profile of saysold1
Quote:
On Sep 21, 2022, Gaz Lawrence wrote:
Hi Brett that one is an Italian lucky charm my friend Gaz Smile ps like an Italian ice cream Cornetto that’s where that’s derived from

When I make Pizza every Sunday with my Ooni, the puffy crust is the Cornicone! Same derivation I assume. Viva Italia
NeilS
View Profile
Inner circle
2868 Posts

Profile of NeilS
I am still awaiting mine to arrive but have thought of a possible way to make the Caduceus out even stronger.

When the effect arrives I will see if this is actually possible and post further.

Neil
Gaz Lawrence
View Profile
Inner circle
6014 Posts

Profile of Gaz Lawrence
That will be good to hear your thoughts Neil as I too aim awaiting for mine to arrive Gaz Smile
Forza Azzurri
View Profile
New user
84 Posts

Profile of Forza Azzurri
I think the Caduceus is the weakest choice (still a good one) but I also think it may be the least likely to be chosen as I don't see it as a good luck charm per se and suspect others won't either so won't choose it. I'll have to see in practice if it is the least chosen good luck charm. Since it is used symbolically in healthcare I might add some patter along the lines of "Though the Caduceus, the staff of the Greek god Hermes, isn't normally a good luck charm, it implies good health and that is good luck on its own." Or I'll just let it slide!

Take this post as more of the idle musings of an anal retentive librarian and not a criticism of the choice of symbols. Researching good luck symbology and looking for those shaped like a "T" I can't see anything better. Still, as recommended by others if you do this routine you should familiarize yourself with the background of the symbols. If someone asks, "Hey, the Caduceus isn't a good luck symbol ..." having a response that makes sense would be prudent.

Also, the initial layout does put the Caduceus and the cornicello on the ends, thus, also less likely to be chosen. Tradeoffs! I still want them to choose the elephant!
Gaz Lawrence
View Profile
Inner circle
6014 Posts

Profile of Gaz Lawrence
Exactly most people won’t pick Caduceus even though it’s still a strong out.
That’s why it’s positioned there and if you have your spectator slightly towards that side (as David does in the trailer, so it’s the first one they can reach) it’s highly unlikely it will be chosen.
Regardless it’s still a very very strong out and we are spoilt for choice with this one imho Gaz Smile
1KJ
View Profile
Inner circle
Warning: We will run out of new tricks in
4145 Posts

Profile of 1KJ
Quote:
On Sep 21, 2022, Gaz Lawrence wrote:

My wife is Italian and she wears one of these on a chain. In fact, her entire family wears them. She says it is a horn to bring good luck and ward off evil.

KJ
1KJ
View Profile
Inner circle
Warning: We will run out of new tricks in
4145 Posts

Profile of 1KJ
Corno is the italian word for horn, as in a bulls horn, similar to spanish cuerno.

So cornicello is a small horn, similar to spanish cuernecillo or cuernecito.

KJ
TuneHV
View Profile
Inner circle
New York
1924 Posts

Profile of TuneHV
FYI I just uploaded Nikolas' script to the tutorial page as a PDF, so you can easily reference what we say when introducing each charm and you can use some elements of his wonderful presentation if you like.
David Jonathan
- - - - - - - - -
www.davidjonathanmagic.com
dvno
View Profile
Elite user
Hamburg
444 Posts

Profile of dvno
I ordered this yesterday. I like the outs and think with the topic you can make a nice positive effect for your specs.
NeilS
View Profile
Inner circle
2868 Posts

Profile of NeilS
The horseshoe charms arrived today and they are far better than I thought they would be and will make an excellent give away to spectators who choose this particular charm. I also have an idea for another give away but await Fortuna to arrive to see if it is possible.

Neil
Magic KL
View Profile
Inner circle
2251 Posts

Profile of Magic KL
Wow, all outs are strong. Well done!
Amazing Magic Co
View Profile
Inner circle
1719 Posts

Profile of Amazing Magic Co
Neil,

Where did order the horseshoe charms from?

Thanks,
Dan.
dooblehorn
View Profile
Inner circle
Pittsburg, CA
2310 Posts

Profile of dooblehorn
Love this trick, as all David's effects. So glad I bought this.
NeilS
View Profile
Inner circle
2868 Posts

Profile of NeilS
Quote:
On Sep 23, 2022, Amazing Magic Co wrote:
Neil,

Where did order the horseshoe charms from?

Thanks,
Dan.

I bought mine from a seller on eBay. (If you are in the UK and want the exact details, please PM). The horseshoe charms are produced for craft makers and can be stuck on cards, used on wedding tables or, as they have a small hole, be threaded on cotton or thin string. There are quite a few sellers on eBay who sell these charms but the ones I bought have the addition of the words ‘Good luck’ running across the charm. This makes the charm more substantial as well as ties in with the theme of the effect. They also make a nice, meaningful (and cheap) giveaway.

Neil
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » FORTUNA by David Jonathan & Nikolas Mavresis (50 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6~7 [Next]
X
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2022 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL