The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » FORTUNA by David Jonathan & Nikolas Mavresis (50 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6~7 [Next]
NeilS
View Profile
Inner circle
2868 Posts

Profile of NeilS
My set of cards arrived today. The quality and design is excellent. Once I have had chance to fully digest I will see if my idea for the Caduceus out is practical.

Neil
Amazing Magic Co
View Profile
Inner circle
1719 Posts

Profile of Amazing Magic Co
Eager to hear what you find.

Dan.
RNK
View Profile
Inner circle
6479 Posts

Profile of RNK
Quote:
On Sep 26, 2022, Amazing Magic Co wrote:
Eager to hear what you find.

Dan.

I as well.....
Gaz Lawrence
View Profile
Inner circle
6014 Posts

Profile of Gaz Lawrence
Me too Gaz Smile
reignofsound
View Profile
Inner circle
Glasgow, UK
2025 Posts

Profile of reignofsound
Arrived today. Will get this open in the morning.
Looking forward to it.
Pixelated
View Profile
Veteran user
306 Posts

Profile of Pixelated
What I really love about this is how every out has a 2 stage process. Almost like a gag ending to drop their guards then the final punch.

Really great thinking from David and Nikolas!
TuneHV
View Profile
Inner circle
New York
1924 Posts

Profile of TuneHV
Quote:
On Sep 27, 2022, Pixelated wrote:
What I really love about this is how every out has a 2 stage process. Almost like a gag ending to drop their guards then the final punch.

Really great thinking from David and Nikolas!

I'm so glad you mentioned that as it was an important aspect for us to have each reveal build as it really does strengthen the impact from a psychological perspective (and was not an easy task!)
David Jonathan
- - - - - - - - -
www.davidjonathanmagic.com
NeilS
View Profile
Inner circle
2868 Posts

Profile of NeilS
Whenever possible I like to give spectators a little momento from what I have performed. Sometimes this could be a business card on which they had written a word or, with Fortuna and depending on their choice, a horseshoe charm.

However you could also personalise the Caduceus prediction by replacing the card in the envelope with a folded handwritten note along the lines of ...

'I predict you will choose Caduceus. This was not only the first in line of lucky charms but its shape is like a pointed arrow directing your attention to its name.

Caduceus is a popular charm which originated in Greece and is said to bring peace, health and good luck.

By choosing Caduceus may it too bring you luck and good fortune.

Signed ....'

Alternatively you could always write your Caduceus prediction on the back of your business card and, should it be the charm they select, allow them to keep your card as a memorable momento - and who knows, it might even bring them a little luck!

Neil
mavresis_n
View Profile
New user
73 Posts

Profile of mavresis_n
Nice idea Neil! Thanks for sharing.

Nikolas
PortraIT | The Blessing | FORTUNA | Personality | Memories | The A Project | Stroop Test | CineMental | The Collector | Sumology | Zener Match | Spellebrity | Destinations | POISON |

www.mavresis.com/shop
Amazing Magic Co
View Profile
Inner circle
1719 Posts

Along a similar train of thought, I have ordered some "chili pepper" charms which look like a cornicello. I'm going to attach these charms to the paperclip and see if this adds to the outcome. Like everyone, I remove the paperclip and set it to the side at the onset of the performance bringing brief attention to the envelope. When revealing (if selected) I will note that the cornicello only brings luck when received as a gift which I now give from me to you.

After a bit of research on the history and meaning of these various charms, I truly appreciate their inclusion into the routine as I highlight these are examples from around the world. I have found that I've been over embellishing my patter of each in presenting the setup and will now use the history and lore more in the reveal.

Thank you all for your insights and tips.

Dan.
Forza Azzurri
View Profile
New user
84 Posts

Profile of Forza Azzurri
Nice thread going here. So far y'all have suggested a couple of different ideas that I will definitely be incorporating. First, substituting reveal items as giveaways (horse shoe charms, cornicello "pepper" charms, business card with Caduceus, etc.). Second, Dan suggesting to keep the initial "about the charms" briefer, but expanding on the specific charm when chosen on the back end of the routine. A challenge would be to incorporate a giveaway into the other reveals. The problem with something like the elephant is that it is such a gosh darn elegant reveal I wouldn't want to tamper with that at all.
NeilS
View Profile
Inner circle
2868 Posts

Profile of NeilS
I intend to keep the horseshoe charm in the envelope. However, if you had a chilli or elephant charm you could keep these loose in a pocket and retrieve and palm the relevant charm. After the suggested Fortuna reveal you could add, 'And I have, in my hand, a little souvenir.'

You drop this on the table which not only adds further weight to your prediction but makes a nice give away.

Having written all this, my next job is to source some chilli charms, (I did not know these existed until I read Dan's idea) and some elephant charms.

The addition of these give aways gives the effect, dare I say, added charm.

Neil
Amazing Magic Co
View Profile
Inner circle
1719 Posts

Incorporating an elephant as a giveaway is pretty easy given its history. While the elephant had been revered for centuries, it was 19th century European and American travelers who enhanced the exoticism by popularizing elephant trinkets as worthy souvenirs. Here is a quick example of what might be available: https://www.etsy.com/listing/1163724859/......ery-1-33

My concern is not being oveerloaded with various giveaway trinkets and building the dramatic reveal with the evolving story. I'm not sure we need a giveaway with every out but I am eager to see how you guys manage this routine.

Dan.
TuneHV
View Profile
Inner circle
New York
1924 Posts

Profile of TuneHV
I have 100 Cornicello charms I can offload as it was part of a previous out attempt that did not work as planned, so they are just collecting dust in my office. PM me if interested.
David Jonathan
- - - - - - - - -
Wravyn
View Profile
Inner circle
2848 Posts

Profile of Wravyn
Quote:
On Sep 17, 2022, Wravyn wrote:
I enjoy MO tricks, yet this one, for me just doesn't tick the right boxes. I am not sure what it is about it that doesn't intrigue me, though it does look well made. Also, if the tutorials are like the other products that David has put out, those too will be too notch. I am going to pass on this one but wish you best in it's success.

Yes, I am still following this thread with hopes that perhaps something may change my perspective.
I do like the idea of the horseshoe charm, though seeing thoughts of adding other giveaways... Why? The thoughts of the different reveals have already been covered. By adding other giveaways, one is complicating the simplicity of the scripted outs. If you desire to hand out your card with a prediction on it, there are other things that you can do. Guilding the lilly is not always a good idea.
Gaz Lawrence
View Profile
Inner circle
6014 Posts

Profile of Gaz Lawrence
David has already fine tuned this.
Don’t over complicate this with unnecessary give aways for every out, it’s totally pointless.
Neils idea of replacing the horseshoe is the only one I would give any merit to.
However I really like the horseshoe poker chip as one of the 5 incredibly strong outs.
If it’s not broken why fix it, these guys have thought this through over many many months and know the pros and cons.
They have been addressed impeccably, it’s a beautiful take on this premise imho Gaz Smile
TuneHV
View Profile
Inner circle
New York
1924 Posts

Profile of TuneHV
FYI a new video has been added to the tutorial page as well as a script - I advise you check it out if you own it.
David Jonathan
- - - - - - - - -
dooblehorn
View Profile
Inner circle
Pittsburg, CA
2310 Posts

Profile of dooblehorn
Quote:
On Oct 1, 2022, TuneHV wrote:
FYI a new video has been added to the tutorial page as well as a script - I advise you check it out if you own it.

I did, more excellence to an excellent effect. Thanks
reignofsound
View Profile
Inner circle
Glasgow, UK
2025 Posts

Profile of reignofsound
Props are fantastic and the outs are all great.
Highly recommended.
siepielski
View Profile
Regular user
190 Posts

Profile of siepielski
I don't remember noting this in the video instructions but the poker chip provided is shimmed. I mention this because after using the routine for several weeks now I find that when the Cornicello force is in play many participants seem to instinctively reach out for the envelope to explore the various markings, particularly as the type is rather small. The chip in the envelope makes their handling of the envelope problematic because of the unnatural thickness. So I do not place the chip in the envelope but use a magnetic hold out to locate the chip in a place where I can secretly reach for and palm it after the cards are laid out. If the horseshoe is named I reveal the chip in my fist which has been kept visible on the table top through out the selection process. If the horseshoe is not named I just continue on and return the chip to the holdout when the situation permits. I also present the participant with a small good luck horseshoe charm ordered from Guerrillacharm.com (Bronze Good Luck Horseshoe Charms: 4, 20 or 50 Pieces ) to reinforce the uniqueness of the participants selection.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » FORTUNA by David Jonathan & Nikolas Mavresis (50 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6~7 [Next]
X
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2022 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL