The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workers » » Help with name of sleight? Classic pass but reversed? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

RazzleDazzle
View Profile
Regular user
Minnesota
107 Posts

Profile of RazzleDazzle
I am looking for the name of a sleight. The method is exactly like the classic pass except you move the bottom stock to the top instead of vice versa. Is there a specific name for this method?

Thanks!
NeoMagic
View Profile
Inner circle
I have...
2017 Posts

Profile of NeoMagic
Herrmann Pass... you'll probably find some performance clips at Magic Video Depot

p.s. See also Steve Draun's Midnight Shift
See and download my latest free card-suits-themed desktop wallpaper | HERE
dynamiteassasin
View Profile
Inner circle
Naval Air Facility, Atsugi, Japan
1158 Posts

Profile of dynamiteassasin
A Hermann Pass, much easier..
Justin Hart
View Profile
Loyal user
Warsaw, VA
221 Posts

Profile of Justin Hart
Those guys are right, but it's also called a turnover pass if you add that.

Steve Draun has a shift called "Midnight Shift" that also starts at the bottom stock. One reference is Richard's Collected Almanac.
RazzleDazzle
View Profile
Regular user
Minnesota
107 Posts

Profile of RazzleDazzle
Thanks guys. I was having a big brain fart on this. I watched the midnight shift and the turn is very nice cover...
LeConte
View Profile
Special user
Bay area
830 Posts

Profile of LeConte
The version of Steve Draun's Midnight Shift that is taught in the 1984 Winter Extra of Richard's Almanac is Derek Dingles way performing this.

To learn Steve Draun's actual method, please refer to the excellent book Secrets Draun from Underground by Richard Kaufman. This book is oop so pick up a copy. You will love it!!!

Stars of Magic has some great tips on the Hermann Turnover Pass as handled by Doc Daley!
Drive Carefully
Wesley James
View Profile
V.I.P.
Hazlet, New Jersey
372 Posts

Profile of Wesley James
While the technique to which you've been referring has often been called the "Herrmann Pass," based on Roterberg's description of a technique he witnessed Alexander Herrmann perform, it was not invented by Alexander Herrmann. A letter found in the Lund collection makes it clear that Alexander's brother, a student of J.N. Hofzinser, had described the technique to his brother. The technique, it now appears, was invented by Hofzinser and, therefore, should not be referred to as the "Herrmann Pass." While Roterberg, Hugard, Daley, Draun, Altman and others have all contributed variations of the technique to our literature, it is inaccurate to cite Alexander Herrmann as the earliest source of the technique.

Wesley James
Curtis Kam
View Profile
V.I.P.
same as you, plus 3 and enough to make
3498 Posts

Profile of Curtis Kam
Wow, thanks Wes, I had always been uncomfortable with the attribution to Herrmann. Can you tell us:

1. If that handling of the pass appears in any of Hofzinser's surviving written records? I was lucky enough to review a great deal of the Hofzinser correspondence in preparation for Richard Hatch's book, and I don't recall any mention of a pass. Also,

2. I have always thought that the identifying characteristics of the Herrmann pass were the staqelike blocking (right side full on to the audience, etc) and the momentary pause once the packets are canted. Do you know if these were elements of the Hofzinser move, or did one of the Herrmann brothers add these features? They seem out of keeping with Hofzinser's style.

Thank you for any insight you may be able to provide here.
Is THAT a PALMS OF STEEL 5 Banner I see? YARRRRGH! Please visit The Magic Bakery
Wesley James
View Profile
V.I.P.
Hazlet, New Jersey
372 Posts

Profile of Wesley James
Curtis,
As I understand it, the letter from Carl to Alexander was overlooked for many years, since it was written in German, but it had long been a part of Bob Lund's collection--though I don't know how it came into his possession. Only relatively recently, as part of Christian Skelzel's research for his Hofzinser work, was the letter rediscovered. That letter, which is of course second hand information, is, to the best of my knowledge, the only attribution of the technique to Hofzinser. The version of the technique to which you refer, with the deck held to the side, is indeed out of character for Hofzinser. That version also differs from the way Alexander performed it. Rather, it is a version that Roterberg adapted from what he had seen Alexander perform. This is relatively clear from Roterberg's description.

Since Roterberg neither sought nor received permission to publish the technique he witnessed Alexander Herrmann perform, there was no way he would have known that the technique had been developed by Hofzinser and shared with Alexander through correspondance with his brother. I hope that helps shed somewhat greater light on the history of this exceptional technique.

Wesley James
prospero
View Profile
Special user
Elsewhere
572 Posts

Profile of prospero
I love the midnight shift as a color change and an occasional visible method to bring a face-up card in the middle up to the top, but other than that I believe it is impractical.

I, however, love the Herrmann Pass, all forms.
LeConte
View Profile
Special user
Bay area
830 Posts

Profile of LeConte
Maybe we should now call it the Hofzinser Turnover Pass.

Thank you for the history lesson Mr. James. Perhaps some more information will surface in regards to this subject.
Drive Carefully
slakk
View Profile
New user
100 Posts

Profile of slakk
I think Draun's midnight pass is great for what it accomplishes. I do not find it impractical. I love to see him do it.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workers » » Help with name of sleight? Classic pass but reversed? (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.01 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL