The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Gaffed & Funky » » Marked Deck UV Luminous Infrared? (1 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

JH5magic
View Profile
Regular user
130 Posts

Profile of JH5magic
I purchased this luminous ink Marked deck (see link below) that uses an (infrared?) plastic sheet to view the marks. They are difficult to read in normal room light through the purple plastic pad cover... but if I put the cover in front of my iPhone camera.. they are very clear on the phone screen! The purple plastic (infrared?) cover is very thick... so I'm wondering if there was a thinner plastic sheet or film available? I've done some Google searches and haven't found anything yet. I know that you can purchase sunglasses and/or contact lens, but I don't really want to go that route if possible. I did just order the 3-D glasses with Red and Cyan lenses to see if that might work. My thoughts are two fold: 1) If I can find a film that I can put over a clear clipboard for example, then I might be able to read them more easily and naturally, 2) Use an effect where I layout the cards (clock pattern?) and take a picture (justification TBD) but temporarily place infrared plastic over camera lens to see marks on phone screen then snap a picture without it. (These are just VERY ROUGH ideas)

Has anyone else played around with this type of marked deck?

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/22558001......9cy87YG2

Thanks,
John
Wravyn
View Profile
Inner circle
3515 Posts

Profile of Wravyn
It looks like ali express is selling a copycat of John Corneliuss' Dream Deck.
Julie
View Profile
Inner circle
3943 Posts

Profile of Julie
This was actually a gambler's ploy long before John Cornelius marketed it to magicians and mentalists. Smile

Julie
glowball
View Profile
Special user
Nashville TN
846 Posts

Profile of glowball
Female Magicians with Super eyesight color detection ability - Tinted cards.

For my daughter-in-law I performed a trick that has eight BLACK back rider cards interspersed within blue back riders and she easily noticed the BLACK back rider cards (I can barely tell the difference). She still had no idea how I knew the identity of the six cards dealt face down but her noticing these special cards diminishes the trick.

I think some people just have natural color detection vision that is better than normal and perhaps females in general are better at this.

Regardless of the gender, if there are those individuals who have super color detection abilities then that in essence gives them the same capability as special glasses or contact lenses used with special marked cards.

For example: suppose the color of the back of the four aces is slightly different than the rest of the deck but no normal person could detect that difference. What an advantage that would be in a poker game for the individual with supercolor detection abilities.

Well, if a magician, male or female, has this excellent color detection abilities then they could utilize this ability in certain mentalism card tricks (but not do it in bright lighting where others may notice). And note the magicians with this ability would not have to wear special glasses nor special contact lenses and be ready to do the trick 24/7.

I wonder if USPCC would make a deck with a slightly different tint on the backs (lighter or darker) of maiden cards? If so then a magician could extract and put some of those cards within a normal color back maiden deck.

I wonder if a magician could make tinted cards by having let's say a very light black tint and wash it over the entire surface of the back of the appropriate cards (but be careful to mask off the white border of these cards). Well, This may be too obvious because doing a wash will also color all the white scrolls etc on the back of the card which is not what we want. We want just the color area such as the blue to be slightly darker and the white scrolls and white cherubs etc to remain the same color of white. Therefore the tinting process must be done by the manufacturing company.
Julie
View Profile
Inner circle
3943 Posts

Profile of Julie
There's a Cornelius version on the Big Auction Site now...
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Gaffed & Funky » » Marked Deck UV Luminous Infrared? (1 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL