The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » OVERDRAFT By Paul Fowler and the 1914 (make $ appear instantly) (98 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4..11~12~13 [Next]
RNK
View Profile
Inner circle
6479 Posts

Profile of RNK
Quote:
On Sep 26, 2022, warren wrote:
Quote:
On Sep 24, 2022, John C wrote:
I never allow examination of anything. It ruins the flow of my set.

At the end, I hand out a prop and say, I'm sure you would like to look at this? then I immediately pullit back and say, But it would ruin the flow of my show.

Everyone laughs. haha

I understand that at an actual gig but if your performing for friends they are going to ask to examine it

I'm sure friends would want to examine it, I believe everyone would want to check out the cards with this effect, the magic is very strong. But I also believe after the transposition phase you'll have plenty of time to do what is necessary to hand out the cards for examination. I don't see any issue with doing a simple switch so you can hand out the cards.
Poof-Daddy
View Profile
Inner circle
Considering Stopping At Exactly
5282 Posts

Profile of Poof-Daddy
Quote:
Quote:

At the end, I hand out a prop and say, I'm sure you would like to look at this? then I immediately pullit back and say, But it would ruin the flow of my show.

Everyone laughs. haha

I understand that at an actual gig but if your performing for friends they are going to ask to examine it

What do you do when your friends want to examine the coins you just used with a C/S transpo routine? Just do the same. Ditch the dirty part and hand out the "only two" they saw in play.
Cancer Sux - It is time to find a Cure

Don't spend so much time trying not to die that you forget how to live - H's wife to H on CSI Miami (paraphrased).

Smile Smile
magicmind
View Profile
Inner circle
Wandering around with
2775 Posts

Profile of magicmind
Quote:
On Sep 26, 2022, Poof-Daddy wrote:
Quote:
Quote:

Everyone laughs. haha

What do you do when your friends want to examine the coins you just used with a C/S transpo routine? Just do the same. Ditch the dirty part and hand out the "only two" they saw in play.

or use a z fold. Not near as difficult then. Smile
warren
View Profile
Inner circle
uk
3659 Posts

Profile of warren
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Everyone laughs. haha

I use regular coins when I perform a c/s transpo routine so it's not a problem, however if I'm using gimmicked coins for any routine I would always get the coins examined at the beginning and then switch them out which is very easily done as coins are much smaller than credit cards and nobody knows whats about to happen so nobody is really paying attention compared to switching a gimmick out at the end of a routine but I do get what your trying to say.
Wravyn
View Profile
Inner circle
2848 Posts

Profile of Wravyn
If you are able to build your routine that allows the spectators to handle the props during the routine, there is no need to hand them out for inspection.

I just don't grasp the constant need to hand everything out to be inspected. In my opinion, when constantly handing the props out; allow people to enjoy the magic moments and don't ruin it by offering inspection, they know magic is not real and by handing the items out all the time, IMHO, one is just presenting puzzles.
warren
View Profile
Inner circle
uk
3659 Posts

Profile of warren
Quote:
On Sep 26, 2022, Wravyn wrote:
If you are able to build your routine that allows the spectators to handle the props during the routine, there is no need to hand them out for inspection.

I just don't grasp the constant need to hand everything out to be inspected. In my opinion, when constantly handing the props out; allow people to enjoy the magic moments and don't ruin it by offering inspection, they know magic is not real and by handing the items out all the time, IMHO, one is just presenting puzzles.

Your missing my point I'm saying when you perform something as strong as that for friends and family they are going to ask to examin the objects if the magic is so strong.
We all know that you can get away with much more at a paying gig than you can for family and friends.
It has already been said by the creator that this has been routined to allow the cards to be inspected at the end if need be since I posted my original question so alls good.
Nathan Alexander
View Profile
Inner circle
1771 Posts

Profile of Nathan Alexander
Quote:
On Sep 26, 2022, magicmind wrote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Everyone laughs. haha

Oh, I love this. This seems made for a Z fold. Hmm ...
magicmind
View Profile
Inner circle
Wandering around with
2775 Posts

Profile of magicmind
Quote:
On Sep 26, 2022, Nathan Alexander wrote:
Quote:
On Sep 26, 2022, magicmind wrote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Everyone laughs. haha

Oh, I love this. This seems made for a Z fold. Hmm ...

Crazy ponys maybe?
Gaz Lawrence
View Profile
Inner circle
6014 Posts

Profile of Gaz Lawrence
Quote:
On Sep 26, 2022, Wravyn wrote:

Totally agree it’s subconsciously suggesting that these aren’t gimmicked props like some other magicians use.

In the meantime I’m practicing with my own cards as per my post on page 1 of this thread.
It’s the devil in the detail I’m interested in from Paul and Lewis, I like that mine have my name on though to be fair.
The quality of Paul’s product will be far better but I do prefer to have my name on the cards if I’m honest Gaz Smile ps cheap skates after all get pre paid cards as they are not credit worthy generally

There is literally no need to go there imo, it’s guiding the lily.
If it’s for friends they know full well that you haven’t really got magical powers Gaz Smile
quantum_swami
View Profile
New user
50 Posts

Profile of quantum_swami
A question for Paul - be honest. In all the times you have performed this has anyone queried why the cards don't have your name on them?
Paul Fowler
View Profile
New user
32 Posts

Profile of Paul Fowler
No one has ever questioned the fact there are no names. I’ve performed this 100’s of times and haven’t found this to be an issue.
RNK
View Profile
Inner circle
6479 Posts

Profile of RNK
Quote:
On Sep 27, 2022, Paul Fowler wrote:
No one has ever questioned the fact there are no names. I’ve performed this 100’s of times and haven’t found this to be an issue.

I agree Paul, no names on the cards will not diminish this effect at all, especially since these are readily sold as pre-paid cards in todays world.
RNK
View Profile
Inner circle
6479 Posts

Profile of RNK
Quote:
On Sep 26, 2022, Gaz Lawrence wrote:
In the meantime I’m practicing with my own cards as per my post on page 1 of this thread.
It’s the devil in the detail I’m interested in from Paul and Lewis, I like that mine have my name on though to be fair.
The quality of Paul’s product will be far better but I do prefer to have my name on the cards if I’m honest Gaz Smile ps cheap skates after all get pre paid cards as they are not credit worthy generally

Hello Gaz,

Many people give these pre-paid cards as gifts. I see it all time. Not sure what you meant by "cheap skates after all get pre paid cards as they are not credit worthy generally"?

Also, I do believe you really liked the Wonder Card release which does not have a name on it. Just curious, how are you justifying the no name issue when using Wonder Card? Probably could use the same justification for these?
Gaz Lawrence
View Profile
Inner circle
6014 Posts

Profile of Gaz Lawrence
Wonder card comes as 2 thin cards stuck together as I have 2 sets and separated one and it has a normal black strip on the other card.
In answer to your question Bob, Wonder card only uses one card not two without my name on it.
Secondly I only use the back side which is signed with my name on it.
Thirdly it has the word universal where your name should be so a quick flash looks like your name would be there as then you reaffirm that with signature on the back.
Overdraft which I have bought appears to be blank on the face where your name should be.
We are not talking about gift cards here we are talking about two cards that are supposed to be your credit cards.
Of course Paul can’t print everyone’s individual name on them but something in that spot like universal would be better imo.
It still looks great though and probably beautifully made.
I Wonder Smile if they are actually two thin pieces of plastic stuck together in the construction of Overdraft?
Best wishes Gaz Smile
PendletonThe3rd
View Profile
Special user
874 Posts

Profile of PendletonThe3rd
I hear what your saying but the way its referred to in the demo in the trailer, and as Paul posted on page 1, the cards are presented as pre-paid credit cards. Which at least in the States, to RNKs point, is pretty common to receive as gifts.

So I think that's the proper workaround to the concern. As nobody would question when framed this way.
UnbiasedMagicReviews
View Profile
Loyal user
272 Posts

Profile of UnbiasedMagicReviews
This concept has been beat to death from regular playing cards to Freakey by Greg Wilson to Flash from Chad Long.
YouTube & Instagram - UnbiasedMagicReviews
I buy/review magic to help you make better decisions
Unbiased The Definitive ACAAN -The BEST Ungaffed ACAAN - https://youtu.be/YtAAETDIouA
RNK
View Profile
Inner circle
6479 Posts

Profile of RNK
Quote:
On Sep 27, 2022, UnbiasedMagicReviews wrote:
This concept has been beat to death from regular playing cards to Freakey by Greg Wilson to Flash from Chad Long.

Yes it has just like ACCAN and CAAN and sooo many other concepts in magic. Though sometimes it's a nice addition as I like the option of carrying credit cards rather than keys with me.
EZrhythm
View Profile
Inner circle
Only three EZ payments for a PDF of my
1531 Posts

Profile of EZrhythm
Well then the plot is being resurrected again with satisfaction! I already have Gregory Wilson's, FREAKEY and seeing that Overdraft could be crafted at home with some expired or store displayed VISA gift cards, I will pass on this one.

Another topic that has beaten to death and beyond is regarding handing out props to be inspected. Everyone goes through this at different stages in their magical lifetime. When you have a polished set of routines that you perform you decide when, if and at what point you will have the participants inspect the props. Sometimes prop inspection might be used as a distraction while you set up the next phase or effect. It might also be as a moment to throw out some humorous or thought provoking patter. All in all there can be qualified reasons for handing out props for inspection because the performer deicided to do so for his purposes. I don't assume that because someone asks if the props can be handed out for inspection it is because they think that they will have to or else it won't be an effect that fools or is magical.
Smile
How many magicians does it take to change a lightbulb? Regardless, for magicians darkness is a time for d'lite.
warren
View Profile
Inner circle
uk
3659 Posts

Profile of warren
Quote:
On Sep 27, 2022, UnbiasedMagicReviews wrote:

That's because it's a great plot in magic that audiences really enjoy, I would say its been brought up to date and modernised rather than beaten to death Smile
leipzisch
View Profile
Special user
563 Posts

Profile of leipzisch
Quote:
On Sep 28, 2022, EZrhythm wrote:
Well then the plot is being resurrected again with satisfaction! I already have Gregory Wilson's, FREAKEY and seeing that Overdraft could be crafted at home with some expired or store displayed VISA gift cards, I will pass on this one.

Another topic that has beaten to death and beyond is regarding handing out props to be inspected. Everyone goes through this at different stages in their magical lifetime. When you have a polished set of routines that you perform you decide when, if and at what point you will have the participants inspect the props. Sometimes prop inspection might be used as a distraction while you set up the next phase or effect. It might also be as a moment to throw out some humorous or thought provoking patter. All in all there can be qualified reasons for handing out props for inspection because the performer deicided to do so for his purposes. I don't assume that because someone asks if the props can be handed out for inspection it is because they think that they will have to or else it won't be an effect that fools or is magical.
Smile

If you make this yourself, surely thickness would be an issue (one card noticeably thicker than the other)?
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » OVERDRAFT By Paul Fowler and the 1914 (make $ appear instantly) (98 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4..11~12~13 [Next]
X
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2022 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.04 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL