The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » OVERDRAFT By Paul Fowler and the 1914 (make $ appear instantly) (98 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5..11~12~13 [Next]
EZrhythm
View Profile
Inner circle
Only three EZ payments for a PDF of my
1531 Posts

Profile of EZrhythm
Print on vinyl sticker material. Use a laser printer. VISA gift cards don't have chips so there's no need to include them.

Click here to view attached image.
How many magicians does it take to change a lightbulb? Regardless, for magicians darkness is a time for d'lite.
DeeChristopherMagic
View Profile
Special user
671 Posts

Profile of DeeChristopherMagic
Just jumping in to answer a few questions about the cards, as I did the manufacturing on these.

The credit cards are a single piece of plastic; we wouldn’t have been happy with two thin cards stuck together, it wouldn’t be robust enough (they will also bend in an unnatural way, the goal is to make the cards look as real as possible). It’s the same reason we abandoned foiling chips on, as was in our original samples - they don’t stand up to real world use when you’re working, they chip and fade after a few gigs. I’ll just give a quick run down on the features of the cards you receive, as only some of the reviewers have received their sets so far:

- The orange card is matte laminated, to mimic younger banks like Monzo and PayPal’s cards.
- The black card is gloss laminated to mimic more traditional banks; having the two separate finishes also puts a nice bit of psychological separation between them.
- The chips are real, and we used slightly different chips on the two designs (just a subtle colouration so they look a bit different, but not unusually so).
- The signature strips are spot laminated in matte so you can write on them on both backs, makes them look more ‘real’ too.
- The long numbers are also spot laminated in matte to mimic the numbers being printed on afterwards like with ‘real’ card production, it creates a different texture.
- The most challenging part was, of course, the gimmick. That particular type of gimmick is extremely difficult when working with the faces of the cards (the chip side). To give a peek behind the curtain, to make this set of cards we actually had to order 20,000 chips (minimum orders at that level suck) and had every card manually milled so they could be installed by hand and would all look identical (rather than buying in blanks and trying to make the gimmick match as closely as possible). Of course the finishes and spot lamination are also present so they’re perfectly twinned to their counterparts.

Between the various sample runs and the new processes we had to create in partnership with a couple of factories, the whole manufacturing process took a long time, but it was definitely worth all the extra effort. As performers, our audiences deserve the best we can give them; in terms of performance and in the props we use. Shortcuts aren’t worth taking when the right solution is available.

The cards can’t be printed with names as these have to be produced in extremely large quantities to make them affordable. Paul’s justification for that is great though and I’m more that happy with using it personally, but I’m quite sure that if people really wanted to put their names on, all that would be required is small letter transfers or something of the sort (I’m unsure of the permanence of a solution like that, I’ve never done it as it’s not required.). I wouldn’t worry about it either way, as it’s literally a null issue in the real world.

Hope that helps!

DC.
The EPIC 5 hour billet masterclass is now LIVE!
http://the1914.com
Overdraft | Orphic | Shadow | Eclipse | The Art Of Stagecraft & Many more exclusive magic & mentalism products.
Gaz Lawrence
View Profile
Inner circle
6014 Posts

Profile of Gaz Lawrence
Thanks for all the info Dee, I’m sure the tutorial and the product will be amazing.
I look forward to receiving mine, and yes it’s very easy for individuals to get their name printed on them if they want.
I probably won’t bother, as I will just frame the patter as Paul does around that.
You may as well anyway as they will be prepaid cards from a bank that no one has ever heard of.
So you may as well use the printed ones with real expired cards or stickers like real UK or wherever you are from if you want to take that route.
I must admit I have seen pre paid gift cards but debit or credit cards I only know in the UK are normally for people who can’t get credit.
It’s like having a card you continually have to top up for your Gas or Electric meter.
If you have that in the UK it’s normally because you are in arrears or massively not credit worthy.
I realise you have an impossible task, so what you would have produced will be A class without infringing any laws.
I love the colour contrast you have chosen too, it’s so visual Gaz Smile
Noobmaster69
View Profile
New user
75 Posts

Profile of Noobmaster69
Quote:
On Sep 28, 2022, UnbiasedMagicReviews wrote:
This concept has been beat to death from regular playing cards to Freakey by Greg Wilson to Flash from Chad Long.

Every week there are like 50 new ACAANs, 17 new peek wallets, 8 new bitten coin type of gimmicks and 20 new linking whatever, but this concept has been beaten to death? You gotta be kidding...
UnbiasedMagicReviews
View Profile
Loyal user
272 Posts

Profile of UnbiasedMagicReviews
Quote:
On Sep 29, 2022, Noobmaster69 wrote:
Quote:
This concept has been beat to death from regular playing cards to Freakey by Greg Wilson to Flash from Chad Long.

Every week there are like 50 new ACAANs, 17 new peek wallets, 8 new bitten coin type of gimmicks and 20 new linking whatever, but this concept has been beaten to death? You gotta be kidding...

I think you've missed my point. The point is that this is exactly the same gimmick and exactly the same through the fist move. $50? Very steep price for a piece of plastic. You can't compare that with new card routines based on a common plot or peek wallets that work in a unique or different way from other peek wallets.
YouTube & Instagram - UnbiasedMagicReviews
I buy/review magic to help you make better decisions
Unbiased The Definitive ACAAN -The BEST Ungaffed ACAAN - https://youtu.be/YtAAETDIouA
Gaz Lawrence
View Profile
Inner circle
6014 Posts

Profile of Gaz Lawrence
I agree with unbiased magic review 100%.
I have bought it purely because I can and I want to see the 1914 offerings and the gimmicks.
I had 2 arrive Friday morning printed with my name on them that do the job beautifully for £10.
Ok they haven’t got the real chip but they still look very good and I think having my name on them is stronger than the chip discrepancy.
Anyway it was impossible for Paul to put individuals names on them so I’m am buying for the reasons I mentioned.
I can’t say I am supporting the creator of the move as he has been dead decades but I still think this hasn’t been released before under this guise.
Albeit many of us have already been doing it as it’s one of the most basic sleights in card magic Gaz Smile
Noobmaster69
View Profile
New user
75 Posts

Profile of Noobmaster69
Quote:
On Sep 30, 2022, UnbiasedMagicReviews wrote:
Quote:
Quote:

I think you've missed my point. The point is that this is exactly the same gimmick and exactly the same through the fist move. $50? Very steep price for a piece of plastic. You can't compare that with new card routines based on a common plot or peek wallets that work in a unique or different way from other peek wallets.

Of course I missed it, because it's not what you said. You were speaking of a concept. Like putting a billet inside a wallet to get a peak. Or finding a card at a specific number.
UnbiasedMagicReviews
View Profile
Loyal user
272 Posts

Profile of UnbiasedMagicReviews
Quote:
On Sep 30, 2022, Noobmaster69 wrote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Of course I missed it, because it's not what you said. You were speaking of a concept. Like putting a billet inside a wallet to get a peak. Or finding a card at a specific number.

Yes - Exactly - you did miss it because the point is the double %$#$% gimmick which is the concept I am talking about and comes from card magic and was adapted to other areas of magic like coin magic and of course was adapted to be done with keys, knives, flash drives, etc. etc. The gimmick is essentially the same and the through the fist move is classic.

Not sure what you are talking about - I have never seen 50 new ACAANs or 17 new peek wallets released on any given week!?
YouTube & Instagram - UnbiasedMagicReviews
I buy/review magic to help you make better decisions
Unbiased The Definitive ACAAN -The BEST Ungaffed ACAAN - https://youtu.be/YtAAETDIouA
Jack Straw
View Profile
Inner circle
Wichita
1024 Posts

Profile of Jack Straw
Quote:

Not sure what you are talking about - I have never seen 50 new ACAANs or 17 new peek wallets released on any given week!?

Ummm, that’s sarcasm
Jack Straw from Wichita, cut his buddy down
And dug for him a shallow grave, and laid his body down
Half a mile from Tucson, by the morning light
One man gone and another to go, my old buddy you're moving much too slow
We can share the women, we can share the wine
EZrhythm
View Profile
Inner circle
1531 Posts

Profile of EZrhythm
Havng an actual chip in the cards surely takes the props to the luxurious side for those who desire such but if the premise is that the cards are not standard issue credit/debit cards then having the chip in them is, "Running where there is no need to run." It appears that all of the lengths that were gone to in order to make up the props and gimmicks was overkill.

This could also be made up with amazon or any other gift card. With the amazon cards I am holding, two cards to be carefully glued together and most people will be none the wiser. With a little assistant management one of your helpers could hold a card(s). Again if gluing two cards together doesn't suit your fancy then there is the printing option.

For those with no desire to get crafty and can toss $50 at it then OVERDRAFT will certainly fill the urge to perform this effect.
How many magicians does it take to change a lightbulb? Regardless, for magicians darkness is a time for d'lite.
EZrhythm
View Profile
Inner circle
1531 Posts

Profile of EZrhythm
Quote:
On Sep 26, 2022, Gaz Lawrence wrote:
ps cheap skates after all get pre paid cards as they are not credit worthy generally

There is more than one reason that someone who is "credit worthy" might use pre-paid cards.
*Someone may just choose not to obtain a standard credit account or they have decided to cut up all of their credit cards.
(Now THERE'S an idea! Cut and restored credit card.) Smile
*A business might issue a pre-paid card or loan a pre-paid card to an employee or contractor for limited expenses.
*A parent might obtain a pre-paid card for their son or daughter.
*Someone might choose to obtain a pre-paid card while traveling incase of loss or theft
*The OVERDRAFT cards could be explained to be gift cards of which the premise could be that the cards were a gift.
magicinsight
View Profile
Inner circle
4133 Posts

Profile of magicinsight
Quote:
On Sep 30, 2022, EZrhythm wrote:
Quote:
ps cheap skates after all get pre paid cards as they are not credit worthy generally

There is more than one reason that someone who is "credit worthy" might use pre-paid cards.
*Someone may just choose not to obtain a standard credit account or they have decided to cut up all of their credit cards.
(Now THERE'S an idea! Cut and restored credit card.) Smile
*A business might issue a pre-paid card or loan a pre-paid card to an employee or contractor for limited expenses.
*A parent might obtain a pre-paid card for their son or daughter.
*Someone might choose to obtain a pre-paid card while traveling incase of loss or theft
*The OVERDRAFT cards could be explained to be gift cards of which the premise could be that the cards were a gift.

Or…you want to buy magic without wife knowing. Moderator, please delete this post.
“Belief matters more than truth. Every moment, belief in imaginary things alters lives while truth sits unnoticed and waits.”
—Hakim, Loreweaver
Kaliix
View Profile
Inner circle
Connecticut
1805 Posts

Profile of Kaliix
I don't know about luxurious? About half the prepaid cards on Visa's site have chips on them. My new bank cards have chips on them. The chips have been standard in the UK for a couple of years now.

Gluing two cards together may be passable for thin card stock. For thicker credit cards, I would be more suspicious about the thickness being noticed by a spectator. Could one get away with it, yes. But how many times do you need to get caught performing an effect before you stop feeling comfortable performing it?

I think two new chipped cards that are contrasting colors and finishes along with a thin DS gimmick are easily worth the money if one plans on performing this effect. I look forward to receiving it and hope it is money well spent.

Quote:
Havng an actual chip in the cards surely takes the props to the luxurious side for those who desire such but if the premise is that the cards are not standard issue credit/debit cards then having the chip in them is, "Running where there is no need to run." It appears that all of the lengths that were gone to in order to make up the props and gimmicks was overkill.

This could also be made up with amazon or any other gift card. With the amazon cards I am holding, two cards to be carefully glued together and most people will be none the wiser. With a little assistant management one of your helpers could hold a card(s). Again if gluing two cards together doesn't suit your fancy then there is the printing option.

For those with no desire to get crafty and can toss $50 at it then OVERDRAFT will certainly fill the urge to perform this effect.
The greatest obstacle to discovery is not ignorance; it is the illusion of knowledge.
~Daniel J. Boorstin
Wravyn
View Profile
Inner circle
2848 Posts

Profile of Wravyn
Quote:

Yes - Exactly - you did miss it because the point is the double %$#$% gimmick which is the concept I am talking about and comes from card magic and was adapted to other areas of magic like coin magic and of course was adapted to be done with keys, knives, flash drives, etc. etc. The gimmick is essentially the same and the through the fist move is classic.

Not everything brought out is going to appeal to everyone. Myself, I do like this updated concept of a two card Monty style credit card or c/s coin. I think there are many possible routines that will be available.
Some people do not like card tricks but bring in a couple of gift/credit cards, it is no longer a card trick.
A Chinatown half without coins.
Also thoughts and ideas from Lewis La Val, I think perhaps this may be a good magic item to carry.
EZrhythm
View Profile
Inner circle
1531 Posts

Profile of EZrhythm
Quote:
On Sep 30, 2022, Kaliix wrote:
I don't know about luxurious? About half the prepaid cards on Visa's site have chips on them. My new bank cards have chips on them. The chips have been standard in the UK for a couple of years now.

Gluing two cards together may be passable for thin card stock. For thicker credit cards, I would be more suspicious about the thickness being noticed by a spectator. Could one get away with it, yes. But how many times do you need to get caught performing an effect before you stop feeling comfortable performing it?

I think two new chipped cards that are contrasting colors and finishes along with a thin DS gimmick are easily worth the money if one plans on performing this effect. I look forward to receiving it and hope it is money well spent.

Great reply but the luxury I was referring to is going to the trouble and expense to have actual chips in the props and gimmicks. It was said that they had to do a minimum run of 20,000 chips and each card had to have the cutout by hand, if I read that post correctly. Plus they mentioned that it was held up and customs on the suspicion of fraud. For a set of props and gimmicks that could have been produced to sell for half the cost I say that this product is luxurious.
The grocery stores here (US) have racks of VISA gift cards and none of them have chips.

As far as gluing two cards together, I wasn't reffering to gluing credit/debit cards together. It is amazon and store gift cards that are thinner and could pass very well by gluing together.
To make your own actual credit/debit card version, printing a card face onto vinyl sticker material would work.

With store gift cards you could do a routine in which the wife sent you out to get coffees (Starbucks) and you ended up going to the hardware store. (HomeDepot) Now there are two stores with a high contrast in the color of their gift cards. And gift cards are free if you don't load money on to them which then also could be handed out as a souvenir after a performance. Or go in to a Bank Night effect where only one card in a set has funds on it.
Kaliix
View Profile
Inner circle
Connecticut
1805 Posts

Profile of Kaliix
I get it, you don't care for the chips and think they are overkill. Fine. Don't buy them. But it still doesn't sit well with me to hear magicians go on about how well, this could have been made cheaper or that could have been done better. The creators decided on including chips on the cards. The creators decided to manufacture a thin DS gimmick in contrasting colors. And they decided to sell it at this price point.

In general, I think magicians should just keep quiet when it comes to pricing/format. You get to vote with your dollars, so vote your displeasure by choosing not to purchase the product. Pricing is the personal decision of the creator/manufacturer, made with information, considerations and variables that virtually no one but they have. Pure speculation isn't terribly helpful when the motive is ignoble.

But hey, differing opinions make the world go round. Smile

Quote:
Quote:
On Sep 30, 2022, Kaliix wrote:

Great reply but the luxury I was referring to is going to the trouble and expense to have actual chips in the props and gimmicks. It was said that they had to do a minimum run of 20,000 chips and each card had to have the cutout by hand, if I read that post correctly. Plus they mentioned that it was held up and customs on the suspicion of fraud. For a set of props and gimmicks that could have been produced to sell for half the cost I say that this product is luxurious.
The grocery stores here (US) have racks of VISA gift cards and none of them have chips.

As far as gluing two cards together, I wasn't reffering to gluing credit/debit cards together. It is amazon and store gift cards that are thinner and could pass very well by gluing together.
To make your own actual credit/debit card version, printing a card face onto vinyl sticker material would work.

With store gift cards you could do a routine in which the wife sent you out to get coffees (Starbucks) and you ended up going to the hardware store. (HomeDepot) Now there are two stores with a high contrast in the color of their gift cards. And gift cards are free if you don't load money on to them which then also could be handed out as a souvenir after a performance. Or go in to a Bank Night effect where only one card in a set has funds on it.
The greatest obstacle to discovery is not ignorance; it is the illusion of knowledge.
~Daniel J. Boorstin
mikenewman
View Profile
Inner circle
Kent Island, Maryland
1069 Posts

Profile of mikenewman
Quote:
Quote:
On Sep 26, 2022, Wravyn wrote:
If you are able to build your routine that allows the spectators to handle the props during the routine, there is no need to hand them out for inspection.

I just don't grasp the constant need to hand everything out to be inspected. In my opinion, when constantly handing the props out; allow people to enjoy the magic moments and don't ruin it by offering inspection, they know magic is not real and by handing the items out all the time, IMHO, one is just presenting puzzles.

Totally agree it’s subconsciously suggesting that these aren’t gimmicked props like some other magicians use.
There is literally no need to go there imo, it’s guiding the lily.
If it’s for friends they know full well that you haven’t really got magical powers Gaz Smile

We come here to help each other, learn, improve and do great things for Magic.

I can honestly say... I have never heard the term "gulding the lily"

And once again... I have learned something here and I love it!

Thanks Gaz! Smile
warren
View Profile
Inner circle
uk
3659 Posts

Profile of warren
Quote:

Ive no doubt I'll be purchasing this at some point as it's perfect for an everyday carry.....EZrhythm I agree gift cards would have been a much better idea as they would eliminate any discepancies such as not having a persons name etc.
videoman
View Profile
Inner circle
6116 Posts

Profile of videoman
I don’t mind the chips or the price. A lot of people don’t understand how typical retail works. Often times it has to go thru a jobber, then a wholesaler, and finally a retailer. All of these entities have to mark up the price in order to make a profit and stay in business. Then there is the capital investment of development and prototyping, having to meet large minimum orders, etc. Some people seem to think that the $50 cost goes straight into the creators pocket. They would be shocked how little you can actually make on a product and that’s not to mention the loss if you don’t recoup your initial investment.

Having said that, I’m not sure why they didn’t choose to go with a generic gift card style of card. It may have eliminated some or all of the issues that are being discussed and perhaps even could have been sold at a lower price. But it’s their choice and it is what it is.

Oh, and since no one in this thread has spelled it correctly, let me say for the record that it’s gilding the lily, which I believe is attributed to Shakespeare but in any case it is a very old expression. Don’t feel bad Mike, it’s not used a lot these days in the US and you are probably a bit too young for it to be commonplace amongst your peers.
dman11
View Profile
Special user
PA
868 Posts

Profile of dman11
Quote:
On Sep 29, 2022, UnbiasedMagicReviews wrote:
Quote:
Quote:

$50? Very steep price for a piece of plastic.

Didn't you just put out a streaming acaan for $30 by itself?
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » OVERDRAFT By Paul Fowler and the 1914 (make $ appear instantly) (98 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5..11~12~13 [Next]
X
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2022 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.07 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL