The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Trick coin trickery » » Johnson coins inventory (7 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
tonsofquestions
View Profile
Inner circle
1459 Posts

Profile of tonsofquestions
You're right, Jake. I am always surprised at how the ebay coins are priced. Considering they're still legal tender, and only worth 50 cents, I find it amazing that some folks will charge upwards of $2.00 per coin. (Not silver.)
I've seen whole rolls for as cheap as $22, but again, that's more than twice what it should cost.

Go to your local bank, instead. They often have half dollars, and if they don't, they can order a roll for you (free of charge). You might have to pick through to find some newer ones, but the worst that happens is you have some half dollars you don't need, and you can either return them or spend them ... at no extra cost.

You could also try a local coin dealer, if you have any - the last one I went to was happy to give me (clad) half dollars at price.
Mad Jake
View Profile
Inner circle
All the voices in my head helped me make
2260 Posts

Profile of Mad Jake
Tons,
the uncirculated coins usually fetch that. I use ebay to save time, I don't have a local coin dealer and in remote towns like ours, banks don't even have
half dollars. Most of the uncirculated rolled coins like you mentioned or either P or D minting, which go up in value the following year after release. They're
aimed at new collectors mainly. Even the US Mint sells a $100 bag of halves for 145.00 plus shipping and tax. What a racket.
Licensed Steve Dusheck Manufacturer and distributor visit www.airshipmagic.com
tonsofquestions
View Profile
Inner circle
1459 Posts

Profile of tonsofquestions
All (modern) coins circulating have either P or D minting ... those are the only two mints doing them. San Francisco only does proof coins, and West Point does things like bullion.
I understand that many are targeted at collectors, but they still mint several million coins a year that are intended for circulation (whatever folks may do with them).

I recognize you go through more coins than the average magician for your manufacturing, so it does make some sense to me that you'd order them in bulk and be willing to pay extra. That said, I still maintain that if you were to ask at your local bank, they'd be happy to request some from the mint, and you'd only pay the cost - especially if you want a larger number of rolls. I've had them offer this to me in the past.

Collectors are willing to pay more, which is why they charge it. But you're not a collector.
Ray J
View Profile
Inner circle
St. Louis, MO
1136 Posts

Profile of Ray J
This article is interesting and will be helpful in putting things in order regarding mint marks.

https://thepatrioticmint.com/blog/explai......-matter/
It's never crowded on the extra mile....
MysticJohn
View Profile
New user
50 Posts

Profile of MysticJohn
Quote:
On Oct 2, 2022, karnak wrote:
I’d bought from them since I was a kid, hence the “end of an era” indeed.

They also filled an ideal gap by making high-quality clad gaffs available to those whose budgets ruled out the extra-pricey super-optimum 90% silver items.

Same here, it truly is the end of an era :-(
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Trick coin trickery » » Johnson coins inventory (7 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2022 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.01 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL