The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Rings, strings & things » » Traveling Cash? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

joeKing
View Profile
Special user
United States
979 Posts

Profile of joeKing
I am RELATIVELY new to rubberband magic...What is the effect of this? Where can I find it? What do you think of it?

Thanks for any help!
~joeKing
federico luduena
View Profile
Regular user
Buenos Aires, ARG
189 Posts

Profile of federico luduena
Two rubber bands are stretched between your fingers. A dollar bill is folded around the upper strand. Magically, the bill jumps downwards one strand at a time. You'll find it in the Dan Harlan Rubber Band Magic DVDs. It is, indeed, a wonderful effect.

federico
vinsmagic
View Profile
Eternal Order
sleeping with the fishes...
10616 Posts

Profile of vinsmagic
Federico, I have also seen this effect performed after the bill has traveled to the bottom rung. The bill now goes back up the band one strand at a time. I'm not sure if this is written up or who created the reciprocal traveling cash.
vinny
Come check out my magic.

http://www.vinnymarini.com
Dawai
View Profile
Regular user
Honolulu,Hawaii
131 Posts

Profile of Dawai
Shigeo Futagawa showed me that rubber band setup some time ago where the bill moves up one at a time. I had lecture notes too but can't find them right now.
Kjellstrom
View Profile
Inner circle
Sweden, Scandinavia, Europe
4860 Posts

Profile of Kjellstrom
Michael Ammar has an instruction video with Travelling Cash.
vinsmagic
View Profile
Eternal Order
sleeping with the fishes...
10616 Posts

Profile of vinsmagic
Kjellstrom, yes I have seen this video but I can't remember if he teaches the technique of the the band going back up the ladder one band at a time.
vinny
Come check out my magic.

http://www.vinnymarini.com
joeKing
View Profile
Special user
United States
979 Posts

Profile of joeKing
Oh, I have this trick and I perform it on some occasions...I just never knew the name. It is from Michael Ammar's Classic Renditions Vol 2 tape. It's a great impromptu piece of magic!
~joeKing
DanHarlan
View Profile
V.I.P.
Ohio
945 Posts

Profile of DanHarlan
The very first write-up of this effect appeared in a little set of notes (Secret, Sneaky, Strange and Snappy Stuff) I put together for my first lecture in Canton, Ohio about 20 years ago. It also appeared in the December 1986 Linking Ring Originality Parade. It was re-written (by Marv Leventhal) and re-published in the debut issue of The MINOTAUR, November 1988. You may also be interested to know that my first video (Bandshark) has been re-issued on DVD:
http://www.mymagic.com/harlan.htm
This video contains all my work that got people thinking about rubberbands in different ways. On it, "Traveling Tips" teaches the secret for "Traveling Cash" without the dollar. Plus, you get to see my mullet and Fu Manchu mustache!
I did give Michael Ammar permission to include TC in his Classic Renditions series, and he did a masterful job of performing and explaining it.
There have been many variations: Bill travels back up; bill comes all the way off; both rubberbands become one; the bands link together at the end; instead of a bill, a watch travels and the time on it changes. All have their merits, some have trade-offs. I hope you have fun with it, whatever routine you choose!
--Dan Harlan
Visit My Site @

www.danharlanmagic.com
Flec
View Profile
Special user
Birmingham, UK
585 Posts

Profile of Flec
Instead of a bill, you might like to use a watch. the patter of time traveling might be more accessible.

This appears on magicbox's video, Close Up Encounters.
Jonathan P.
View Profile
Inner circle
Belgium
1482 Posts

Profile of Jonathan P.
Yes, the version with the watch is nice too. You can find it in "off the cuffs" by Greg Wilson. Nevertheless, I prefer the Dan Harlan's handling, which is not the same than the one Wilson uses.
J.
DanHarlan
View Profile
V.I.P.
Ohio
945 Posts

Profile of DanHarlan
If you are working in a situation where accepting tips is appropriate, use a bill. Just a tip from me!
--Dan Harlan
Visit My Site @

www.danharlanmagic.com
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Rings, strings & things » » Traveling Cash? (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.11 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL