The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Street Magic » » Quick Question (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Magicman8
View Profile
Regular user
Michigan
113 Posts

Profile of Magicman8
Does anybody know what levitation method is the best? I have looked in to it, but I don't know which opperates best. Anybody got any help?

Matthias
We go through life backwards. The past is visible and the future is cloudy, it seems we are walking backwards.-- Terry Pratchet
magicmandb1
View Profile
New user
New Jersey
30 Posts

Profile of magicmandb1
The king rising levitation is good, they can see both feet go up in the air. I heard that the elevator levitation is also good but I don't have it.
"If a tree falls in a forest, and thier's nobody there to hear it, does it make a sound?"
Magicman8
View Profile
Regular user
Michigan
113 Posts

Profile of Magicman8
Thanks, I tried a search, but it did not work. Smile
Oh well, and thanks.

Matthias
We go through life backwards. The past is visible and the future is cloudy, it seems we are walking backwards.-- Terry Pratchet
TricksDaniel
View Profile
Loyal user
Pensacola,FL
248 Posts

Profile of TricksDaniel
Try doing a search on just the word levitation. I would have to say that up till now I didn't know if it would be worth the money for the Elevator. But, I just now finally broke down and bought one. I would have to say, up till now or until something better comes out, that the Elevator is the best. A lot of other ways to do your search would be the words; Zero Gravity, Balducci, King Rising, On Thin Air, Float-Ease, Elevator. That's all the levitations I can think of at the moment even though there are many more. Hope this helps.
Daniel
Owner DC_ILLUSIONS
Magicusa
View Profile
Elite user
478 Posts

Profile of Magicusa
Magicman8
What I would do is look at the videos of the levitation. This way you can see which one you like best.
dynamiteassasin
View Profile
Inner circle
Naval Air Facility, Atsugi, Japan
1158 Posts

Profile of dynamiteassasin
King Rising is better but for the impromptu magician, Balducci will do.
Try checking out http://www.weirdthings.com it has a suspension effect which I think is better than a levitation.
Magicman8
View Profile
Regular user
Michigan
113 Posts

Profile of Magicman8
It does look cool but then again I am not sure if it is for me... I ahve bought crap that looks so cool online but doesn't work. No offense meant. However I am very nearly convinced, six levitations for twelve dollars... very tempting. Have you bought it? If you have how good is the street levitation and the "Floating on the edge"? I would appreciate any info on those because I'll use them most.

Thanks
Matthias
Harry Murphy
View Profile
Inner circle
Maryland
5279 Posts

Profile of Harry Murphy
When you ask about levitations what do you mean? Are you asking about the types of “self” levitations where you apparently rise a couple inches off the floor for a couple of seconds? If so, they are all pretty much the same. You have real angle problems with those that are based on a Balducci methodology (no prop at all) and most grade school kids know this as a gag (after all it started life as a clown gag before it was taken into the magic community).

There are a dozen or more that involve a small prop that helps you widen your angles. There are still some angle issues even with them.

Then there are the small prop types that have you standing in an open box and either you rise inside the box or the entire box rises with you.

There are several that have you seemingly floating above your jacket with your legs outstretched behind you, or a version where you sit on a broom stick with both your legs crossed behind you (with your jacket or towel or something dangling below you top hide what needs to be hidden).

What do you want to do? How do you want it to look? How much stuff do you want to carry around with you?

All of these lead to a different answer. Almost every levitation and suspension available (impromptu, set-up, parlor, stage, whatever) has been discussed at length again and again here on the Café. Maybe you could start by using the search function and narrowing your quest that way.
The artist formally known as Mumblepeas!
dynamiteassasin
View Profile
Inner circle
1158 Posts

Nope, but I'll order it maybe in a few months.

those in weirdthings.com are pretty much good.
I'll tell you this. The reaction on a trick or illusion depends on the performance of the magician. Even those things you call "bad stuff of magic" can be miracles in the eyes of a layman if proper presentation is applied.
Frank Tougas
View Profile
Inner circle
Minneapolis, MN
1712 Posts

Profile of Frank Tougas
Depends on what you are trying to achieve. All have their advantages and all have their flaws. If you are doing it because people want to see you levitate "like that guy on T.V." then none of them are for you because that effect was greatly accentuated for TV, something you can not duplicate in real time.

The Elevator while expensive is not a bad trick. Like Zero Gravity it allows you to be facing your audience, the Balducci, over exposed by so many who do it poorly, also looks good, requires no preparation but you have your back to the audience making "crowd control" a little more dicey.
Frank Tougas The Twin Cities Most "Kid Experienced" Children's Performer :"Creating Positive Memories...One Smile at a Time"
dynamiteassasin
View Profile
Inner circle
1158 Posts

I'd still go for King Rising and the suspension in http://www.weirdthings.com
Magicman8
View Profile
Regular user
Michigan
113 Posts

Profile of Magicman8
I am not trying to imitate David Blaine, I have been wanting a levitation or suspention (Can't Spell) for some time and I have heard many recomendations; But I don't want to carry a ton of things and it kind of needs to be impromtu. I know a couple of people who have the Balducci and I agree with Frank, Crowd control gets really hard and risky, especially with the crowds I usually get.

Harrry I appreciate the help. I am mainly looking for one mainly with a small gimmick or no gimmick at all. It really needs to be impromtu, or very little setup. most of the stuff I do is impromtu street magic. I will try the levitation on http://www.weirdthings.com, and I appreciate the help.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Street Magic » » Quick Question (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.13 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL