The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Magical equations » » Name of this principle & how it works? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

goonerjack
View Profile
New user
England
37 Posts

Profile of goonerjack
Hi all

I remember seeing a trick which worked on a mathematical principle, and I wanted to use the principle in another trick, but I can't remember exactly how it went...

The trick - basically the magician shows a piece of glass with numbers on... the spectator starts on any number and spells the number which they are on, then the resultant number 3 (??) times. They note which number/time they have ended up on, the magician blows on the glass and the hands are pointing to the spectator's number/time.

I'm not interested as to how the hands appear, it's the mathematical principle that I would like to know about...

The principle - essentially I would like to know exactly how that principle works (I've got a feeling it's quite old!)... how the magician can force a certain time by letting the spectator spell 3 times, seemingly of their choice

Many thanks, Jack
Scott Cram
View Profile
Inner circle
2678 Posts

Profile of Scott Cram
I first read about it in Jim Steinmeyer's "Impuzzibilities", under the name "The One O'Clock Mystery". Jim Steinmeyer is usually quite good about crediting, yet offers no credits in the write-up. I can only assume this means it is original with him, unless someone knows otherwise.
balducci
View Profile
Loyal user
Canada
227 Posts

Profile of balducci
Quote:
On 2004-07-02 19:02, goonerjack wrote:
Hi all

I remember seeing a trick which worked on a mathematical principle, and I wanted to use the principle in another trick, but I can't remember exactly how it went...

The trick - basically the magician shows a piece of glass with numbers on... the spectator starts on any number and spells the number which they are on, then the resultant number 3 (??) times. They note which number/time they have ended up on, the magician blows on the glass and the hands are pointing to the spectator's number/time.

I'm not interested as to how the hands appear, it's the mathematical principle that I would like to know about...

The principle - essentially I would like to know exactly how that principle works (I've got a feeling it's quite old!)... how the magician can force a certain time by letting the spectator spell 3 times, seemingly of their choice

Many thanks, Jack

If you really just want to be reminded how the trick goes, watch the "Watch Crystal" movie demo at Penguin magic ...

As for the principle, if you perform the effect on yourself 3 or 4 times you should be able to figure it out on your own.
Make America Great Again! - Trump in 2020 ... "We're a capitalistic society. I go into business, I don't make it, I go bankrupt. They're not going to bail me out. I've been on welfare and food stamps. Did anyone help me? No." - Craig T. Nelson, actor.
Alan Jackson
View Profile
Elite user
Cardiff, UK
432 Posts

Profile of Alan Jackson
The name of the principle is the Kruskal Principle. It's usually applied to cards but has only a high probability of working: it's not certain to work. The clock version is completely deterministic (after three spellings).
There are 10 kinds of people: those who understand binary numbers, and those who don't.
balducci
View Profile
Loyal user
Canada
227 Posts

Profile of balducci
A link to a paper (and further references) on the Kruskal Count, for the die hard mathies in the audience:

http://arxiv.org/PS_cache/math/pdf/0110/0110143.pdf

Also, see "The Kruskal Principle" by Fulves and M. Gardner in The Pallbearers Review, June 1975.
Make America Great Again! - Trump in 2020 ... "We're a capitalistic society. I go into business, I don't make it, I go bankrupt. They're not going to bail me out. I've been on welfare and food stamps. Did anyone help me? No." - Craig T. Nelson, actor.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Magical equations » » Name of this principle & how it works? (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.01 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL