The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » Mental Magic (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
rtcooks
View Profile
New user
36 Posts

Profile of rtcooks
I want to start doing some mental magic. What routines would each of you recommend? Thought Transmitter, Prediction Impossible,Private Property, Sight Unseen, any of the above, or any one that you like that I have not mentioned. Thanks...
rtgreen
View Profile
Inner circle
Portland, Oregon
1322 Posts

Profile of rtgreen
Get a copy of Anneman's Practical Mental Magic. It's very inexpensive and one of the best sources for mental effects. You'll find lots to do in there.
abc
View Profile
Inner circle
South African in Taiwan
1081 Posts

Profile of abc
Get copies of Luke Jermay, Richard Osterlind and Max Maven also. I have only recently gotten into that since I have had numerous requests to perform mentalism routines and the offers are amazing, financially speaking. It will take me a while to get routines down to performance level but I have read all three of these authors in the past few weeks and the material is excellent and well presented.
Dr_Stephen_Midnight
View Profile
Inner circle
SW Ohio, USA
1555 Posts

Profile of Dr_Stephen_Midnight
Basic books to have:

• Anneman's Practical Mental Magic
  • 13 Steps to Mentalism by Tony Corinda
  • Mind, Myth and Magic by T.A. Waters
  • The Bold & Subtle Miracles of Dr. Faust by David Hoy
  • Self-Working Mental Magic by Karl Fulves

Steve
Dr. Lao: "Do you know what wisdom is?"
Mike: "No."
Dr. Lao: "Wise answer."
Eirik
View Profile
Special user
Oslo
879 Posts

Profile of Eirik
Second's, the work of Richard Osterlind, his Mind Mysteries DVD's are great..

-e-
...As long as i`m not a world-champion at anything, the great reactions of doin` magic will do just fine.....
superhiro
View Profile
Regular user
101 Posts

Profile of superhiro
I have got Anneman's Practical Mental Magic and have read maybe half of the book but didn't really find anything that I thought would be worth doing. I think it is because I'm not really familiar with mental magic so I was wondering if there are any effects from the book that people recommend or like or get good reactions from.
Thanks

Hiro
Juble
View Profile
Veteran user
363 Posts

Profile of Juble
Definitely get Osterlind's stuff. He has a whole host of sensational effects that you could use.
dpe666
View Profile
Inner circle
2895 Posts

Profile of dpe666
WAIT! WAIT! WAIT! If rtcooks is just now getting interested in Mentalism, the Osterlind material is WAY too advanced. Start with the basics and work your way up. Smile
Alan Wheeler
View Profile
Inner circle
Posting since 2002 with
2038 Posts

Profile of Alan Wheeler
If rtcooks just wants the name of an effect to cut his teeth on and get a feel for mental magic, I might recommend "Mental Epic." Or would this marketed effect be to difficult for beginning?

alan
The views and comments expressed on this post may be mere speculation and are not necessarily the opinions, values, or beliefs of Alan Wheeler.
A BLENDED PATH
Christian Reflections on Tarot
Word Crimes
Technology and Faith........Bad Religion
Juble
View Profile
Veteran user
363 Posts

Profile of Juble
I found Karl Fulves - Self Working Mental Magic was a great place to start - very cheap too.
ninjaduffy
View Profile
Veteran user
UK
332 Posts

Profile of ninjaduffy
Self Working Mental Magic ..... didn't like it... maybe that because I am in the UK.. many tricks in there with dollars...
Practical mental magic....... fantastic
rtgreen
View Profile
Inner circle
Portland, Oregon
1322 Posts

Profile of rtgreen
I'm having a memory block (makes sense in a mentalism topic Smile ) Is Mental Epic the same as Mind Control?

Mind Control is the effect with three cards and the pen.
magicmancas
View Profile
Regular user
121 Posts

Profile of magicmancas
Barrie Richardson (SP) has a book called Theater of the Mind. It has a ton of great mentalism. I highly recommend it!
dynamiteassasin
View Profile
Inner circle
Naval Air Facility, Atsugi, Japan
1158 Posts

Profile of dynamiteassasin
With cards, you can mark your deck and do a mind reading on it.
Dr_Stephen_Midnight
View Profile
Inner circle
SW Ohio, USA
1555 Posts

You CAN do that, but be careful. Some spectators assume or even LOOK for marked cards in a mental act. I avoid them.

Steve
liam-j-gilbert
View Profile
Regular user
Leeds, England
121 Posts

Profile of liam-j-gilbert
Starting out in mentalism...

13 steps to mentalism by Corinda is a must
Psychological Subtelties by banachek is useful as is a lot of banacheks material.

I think that, if you are willing to spend money on good books in order to develop a basic knowledge of the techniques that us mentalists use then you can begin to invent mentalism effects. Its about grasping the basics first - as with everything else.
www.liamgilbert.co.uk -- for info, booking or queries on Liam Gilbert
Alan Wheeler
View Profile
Inner circle
Posting since 2002 with
2038 Posts

Profile of Alan Wheeler
Descriptions of Mental Epic can be seen on-line at dealer's websites. Three predictions match the random "thoughts" of three spectators. The third "thought" is often a card.

alan
The views and comments expressed on this post may be mere speculation and are not necessarily the opinions, values, or beliefs of Alan Wheeler.
A BLENDED PATH
Christian Reflections on Tarot
Word Crimes
Technology and Faith........Bad Religion
andre combrinck
View Profile
Special user
South Africa
953 Posts

Profile of andre combrinck
Annemann's book has lots of gems in.'A day in your life','the Germain gem','news event prediction','between the lines','symmist','the 20th century newspaper test',sefalaljia','horrors','voodoo','the krazy kode','who killed mr x?','the astral ad','half and half','in the mind','open minds','thoughts in the air','diabolical influence' and many other effects are really good.
Andre
Anabelle
View Profile
Special user
951 Posts

Profile of Anabelle
You can do some pretty impressive mental magic with the invisible deck, and with a lot of other simple magic items for sale everywhere. You just have to work on your presentation.

Anabelle
Dr_Stephen_Midnight
View Profile
Inner circle
SW Ohio, USA
1555 Posts

I also recommend Bob Mason's Marka-Thot, and Ultimate Prediction.

Steve
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » Mental Magic (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL