The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » Mental Magic (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
Chimp
View Profile
New user
28 Posts

Profile of Chimp
I have Practical Mental Magic, and as a complete beginner I think it's very well done. Lots of neat stuff.
Parson Smith
View Profile
Inner circle
1939 Posts

Profile of Parson Smith
Annemann and Corinda are a great way to get a solid base, BUT... one of the best things that you can do is to just convert something that you are currently doing magically to a mental effect.
If you cannot do this, you probably will not have much fun with mentalism.
Just my 2˘ worth.
Here kitty, kitty,kitty. Smile
+++a posse ad esse+++
Joey Stalin
View Profile
Inner circle
Canada
1077 Posts

Profile of Joey Stalin
I like Out of Sight Out of Mind
-A single death is a tragedy, a million deaths is a statistic.
-It is easier to fight for one's principles than to live up to them.
-The secret impresses no one. The trick you use it for is everything.

See you space cowboy...
magiccarpet
View Profile
New user
59 Posts

Profile of magiccarpet
Corinda 13 Steps is a must. I second David Hoy's The Bold & Subtle Miracles of Dr. Faust. I like the book test.
wadejd
View Profile
New user
Winslow, Maine
1 Post

Profile of wadejd
I just got Corinda's 13 Steps and Annemann's Practical Mental Magic. I was wondering what someone would suggest from these books as beginning tricks to learn. I have just thumbed through them and there is ALOT of information. I wanted to learn some mentalism tricks so I can work on my showmanship while I read and digest everything contained in both of those books.
David Fletcher
View Profile
Loyal user
238 Posts

Profile of David Fletcher
A stationery store is a mentalist's best source for materials. Pens, pencils, thumbtacks, envelopes, paper, blank index cards, carbon paper, magnetic sheets, etc.

Books!!! They have been mentioned. Have fun with it. Don't bore your audience.
You have to give it away to keep it.
Sean
View Profile
Regular user
No Cal
200 Posts

Profile of Sean
Near the end of the Corinda book is an effect where you lay out ten cards and make a prediction. Have the spectator select a number between 1 and 10. You count to the selected number, flip over all the remaining cards to show they are of one color, then flip the selected card to show it's the opposite color (red). Your prediction says, "You will select the red card."

It's an easy effect that lets you do mentalism and work on your presentation. No sleights and I'm sure you have ten cards laying around.
Parson Smith
View Profile
Inner circle
1939 Posts

Profile of Parson Smith
While it has been stated that Osterlind's material is too advanced for beginners, I must say that had I read, Making Real Magic, Making Magic Real and Essays when I began 40 years ago, I would be a better magician (and probably a better person) today.
Peace,
Parson
Here kitty, kitty,kitty. Smile
+++a posse ad esse+++
r1z08
View Profile
Inner circle
1157 Posts

Profile of r1z08
Wadejd: If you are looking to boost your showmanship, I would highly recommend reading Luke Jermay's "Building Blocks". You will find some very useful information on how to add realism to your effects through suggestion and ambiguity. He also adds some really powerful effects at the end of the book that will take some time to get down, but are well worth the effort.
pasharabbit
View Profile
New user
73 Posts

Profile of pasharabbit
Richard Osterlind's Easy To Master Mental Miracles is a must have for beginners. He shows you the tricks but more importantly in my mind he shows you how to present the tricks. That's magic. For example he shows you a routine then he shows you how to get one, two, three reactions from a trick by the way you pass around the slate. Yes, he uses slates and he explains why. He also puts together two sets on each video so you are getting two acts well thought out and sequenced. After you watch one or two or more of these videos you can read Anneman or Corinda and get something out of them. You won't be one of those I read those books and they don't have any good tricks in them crowd. In mentalism the effects are more subtle than regular magic and it's hard for beginners to appreciate them without seeing some of them done.
Anabelle
View Profile
Special user
951 Posts

Profile of Anabelle
Osterlind's material is awesome! His ebooks and his dvd series are very important to anyone interested in this field. I also have to add Alexandre's the black school. You can find out more about it at http://www.eyesandminds.com.

Anabelle
swee
View Profile
New user
65 Posts

Profile of swee
Maybe you should watch darren brown, he is the greatest mentalism magician out there
Maria B
View Profile
New user
UK
3 Posts

Profile of Maria B
I was always told that anyone wanting to start in mentalism should read Corinda first. that's what I did I don't regret it one bit - though I have to say that I think I might be reading it for a long while to come!

There is a LOT to take in, but that's part of the enjoyment I think. You can pick and choose which effects you want to try and fine tune them yourself, turn them into something they werent - or didn't appear to be - on the page!

The book is dated in some ways, but the efefcts, for the most part are as good as they ever were!

Maria B xx
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » Mental Magic (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.08 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL