The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Rings, strings & things » » Dice stacking (2 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

gregg webb
View Profile
Inner circle
1469 Posts

Profile of gregg webb
The only time I saw dice stacking was by David Roth. Lately a good friend of mine shared some videos of Del Ray doing dice stacking. It is not strictly magic. I would say it is more like juggling, but there are some interesting variations - through the table or disappear and end up in a pocket. Who else was "into" dice stacking?
Harry Murphy
View Profile
Inner circle
Maryland
5400 Posts

Profile of Harry Murphy
I got to see Monk Watson when I was a kid do dice stacking and my friend John Mendoza started most of his close-up shows with a display of dice stacking. Jim Zachery performed some extreme dice stacking. I got to watch Jim a couple of decades ago at a magic convention.

The German magician Gerry has a teaching video out found at Meir Yedid magic. Todd Strong also has a teaching video out (or did). There are probably a dozen others.
The artist formally known as Mumblepeas!
gregg webb
View Profile
Inner circle
1469 Posts

Profile of gregg webb
Monk Watson is a name I heard of, but knew nothing about. Thanks. John Mendoza I've heard more about and I heard of Jim Zachery from David Roth. I'm surprised I only saw dice stacking a few times. David had told me about the little electric animals in the Del Ray close-up act. I asked a friend about Del Ray and he happened to have videos from a Tannen's Jubilee with Dick Cavette and Lennert Green and Harry Blackstone Jr. visible in the audience. I was surprised at the dice stacking by Del Ray, and also at how fast he worked with his close-up act. Thanks Harry.
geemack
View Profile
Loyal user
Greg McNeil Peoria,Illinois
296 Posts

Profile of geemack
I first saw Don Alan do a stacking routine during a close-up set and at lectures back in the mid-70's. His routine was quick, a couple/few times stacking them, some humorous by-play, allegedly predict what number will be on top of the stack when he lifts the cup, and use that reveal as misdirection for the final load of a couple extra large dice. I saw John Mendoza do his dice stacking routine several times, also decades ago. As I recall his was pretty snappy, too. A few stacks, a quick flourish or two, and hit 'em with the load. That simple straight-line plot plays well, and is pretty much the framework for the dice stacking routine I've done for decades.
gregg webb
View Profile
Inner circle
1469 Posts

Profile of gregg webb
Makes Sense. The large load is more magical. Sure, I remember the name Don Allen. You remind me of Paul Gertner, is it, who did dice and a hat, but not stacking, he used the "2 in the hand-1 in the pocket" thing with the small dice and then produced huge dice from the hat. I guess the point is that with the dice stacking, less is more and should lead up to something more magical.
peppermeat2000
View Profile
Elite user
426 Posts

Profile of peppermeat2000
I remember seeng an old timer in Binghamton, New York back in the late 1960's who did a great dice stacking routine. He finished with a baby chick load!
gregg webb
View Profile
Inner circle
1469 Posts

Profile of gregg webb
I was in Binghamton at the time. Trying to remember who that was. But, that's how to change a juggling move into magic for sure.
gregg webb
View Profile
Inner circle
1469 Posts

Profile of gregg webb
I am new to even thinking about dice stacking. Nevertheless, I am wondering if anyone applied magnets in the dice to the trick? It seems like that could work at least once. Has anyone tried this?
macc
View Profile
Regular user
186 Posts

Profile of macc
I learned it from Devo's extreme beginners 2 dvd. There's even a routine where you use playing cards to stack the dice.

https://www.penguinmagic.com/p/S11208
Out of stock on penguin. Don't know if you can order it somewhere else.
gregg webb
View Profile
Inner circle
1469 Posts

Profile of gregg webb
I'm probably not going to learn dice stacking but I started the thread by raving about seeing a video of Del Ray. In the Ever So Sleightly section I describe the Dice Through The Table I do, which is an old trick I think, but nice with the rubber Dice I found at an art supply store. I think they were meant to be erasers but when I saw them they became "Dice Thru Table" dice.

But thanks. Quite a few people are viewing this thread so I'm sure someone will use the info.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Rings, strings & things » » Dice stacking (2 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2022 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.01 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL