The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Mentally Speaking » » The Royal Road to Mentalism Vol 1 review (11 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

UnbiasedMagicReviews
View Profile
Veteran user
344 Posts

Profile of UnbiasedMagicReviews
Requested Magic Review - The Royal Road To Mentalism Vol 1 by Peter Turner and Mark Lemon

https://youtu.be/5yPXZwATKFc
YouTube & Instagram - UnbiasedMagicReviews
I buy/review magic to help you make better decisions
Unbiased The Definitive ACAAN -The BEST Ungimmicked ACAAN - https://youtu.be/YtAAETDIouA
Mindpro
View Profile
Eternal Order
10606 Posts

Profile of Mindpro
Bam!
saturnkk
View Profile
Veteran user
Commerce Township, MI / Naples, FL
318 Posts

Profile of saturnkk
If accurate, that review is a bit disappointing as I like Peter and Mark and would expect better...
UnbiasedMagicReviews
View Profile
Veteran user
344 Posts

Quote:
On Nov 22, 2022, saturnkk wrote:
If accurate, that review is a bit disappointing as I like Peter and Mark and would expect better...

Of course, it is accurate. Go check out the source material I referenced for yourself. Almost unbelievable.
Unbiased The Definitive ACAAN -The BEST Ungimmicked ACAAN - https://youtu.be/YtAAETDIouA
saturnkk
View Profile
Veteran user
318 Posts

Profile of saturnkk
Quote:
On Nov 22, 2022, UnbiasedMagicReviews wrote:
Quote:
On Nov 22, 2022, saturnkk wrote:

Of course, it is accurate. Go check out the source material I referenced for yourself. Almost unbelievable.

I believe that you researched it. I still would like to hear their side of the story... Perhaps there is an explanation?
saturnkk
View Profile
Veteran user
318 Posts

Profile of saturnkk
Now I am curious about the others... UMR are you planning to review more of this series?
takeachance
View Profile
Inner circle
3777 Posts

Profile of takeachance
I don't have this or intend to get it but I did read the add blurb and listened to them on the videos onsite.
My understanding of what was being sold was their interpretation and spin on The Royal Road to Card Magic by Jean Hugard and Frederick Braue, making it a bit more mental magic than card magic.
Osterlind did a similar thing with Annemann bring him to a new audience.
For a younger generation who don't dive into books as much as downloads these days, it makes learning the basic foundations much more appealing.
I never thought there was any intent to claim it was theirs, just an updated way of presenting this material to bring it into todays younger persons visual expectations.
UnbiasedMagicReviews
View Profile
Veteran user
344 Posts

Quote:
On Nov 23, 2022, takeachance wrote:
I don't have this or intend to get it but I did read the add blurb and listened to them on the videos onsite.
My understanding of what was being sold was their interpretation and spin on The Royal Road to Card Magic by Jean Hugard and Frederick Braue, making it a bit more mental magic than card magic.
Osterlind did a similar thing with Annemann bring him to a new audience.
For a younger generation who don't dive into books as much as downloads these days, it makes learning the basic foundations much more appealing.
I never thought there was any intent to claim it was theirs, just an updated way of presenting this material to bring it into todays younger persons visual expectations.

Osterlind specifically was presenting the magic of Annemann by taking the effects, updating them, and performing them.

Regarding this first Volume of this series, You will not find this principle anywhere in the Royal Road to Card Magic (Unless I missed it!) I went through the entire book twice. I invite anyone to show me where it is!
In the video, he specifically states that he used the principle from RRCM to come up with this effect.
Even if you were to take what they say on Ellusionist (the methods are the same but the presentations are worlds apart) - this is totally wrong. The presentation is exactly the same!
The Annemann effect is already a mental effect with playing cards and Pete presents it exactly the same way.

You can't take someone else's effect that is in print and claim that you came up with it yourself. That's exactly what he is doing. In the video, he specifically states that he used the principle from RRCM to come up with this effect. So do you think that it is ok to claim that you are taking principles/card ideas from the Royal Road to Card Magic and instead take a routine from a completely different magician that is in print and present it as your own???

If they are doing what you claim - then the card routine would not be a mental card trick and the effect would actually exist in the Royal Road to Card Magic. Not to mention that the presentation would be completely different from the original - since that's what they are claiming to do - not just recycle someone else's trick. RIGHT?
takeachance
View Profile
Inner circle
3777 Posts

Profile of takeachance
Cool your heals bud. I'm not claiming anything, I stated I do not have it, just read and looked at the promo's and that was the impression I got.
UnbiasedMagicReviews
View Profile
Veteran user
344 Posts

I would urge anyone who has purchased this to check out the Royal Road to Card Magic as well as all the source material I have gone over in my review. Anyone and everyone can clearly see the origin of the effect and who really came up with it.
Tim Novy
View Profile
New user
67 Posts

Profile of Tim Novy
Thank you for the review!
alexandreventura
View Profile
New user
7 Posts

Profile of alexandreventura
I thought the response from Peter Turner was rather nasty to this. It's in an interview called "Pete Turner talks leaving Ellusionist". Instead of addressing the problem he just attacks the person in a really weird way, and then the interviewer just agrees with the ad hominem.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Mentally Speaking » » The Royal Road to Mentalism Vol 1 review (11 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL