The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » Jamie Daws Steal - The 1914 (17 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2~3 [Next]
Ceierry
View Profile
Inner circle
Europe
1582 Posts

Profile of Ceierry
Hi guys!

This looks so cool, any infos/feedbacks?

Description:

"Imagine if, unbeknown to your audience, you were able to magically conjure a huge window in the back of an ordinary, opaque envelope before healing it to ascertain your spectator's secret information.
This is what Steal is (only without the need for real magical powers).
Welcome to the next generation of window envelopes.
The envelope is completely examinable, can be held in your spectator's hands and really does contain their original billet.
You can even let them keep it!
No strange materials, no glue, no billet switching and no difficult moves. They can write anywhere on the billet and you'll still know their secrets. Every time.
In this download, spanning almost 1.5 hours, you will learn just how easy and quick this ingenious gimmick is to make. You will also learn in-depth handling techniques followed by three insanely powerful, hard-hitting mentalism routines that utilise the devious Steal principle.
Uniquely designed, direct and powerful mentalism.
Learn Jamie Daws' most impenetrable secret now."

LINK:https://the1914.com/products/steal

Olivier
Author of 10S Star Sign Divination - olivier.ceierry@gmail.com for a digital copy.
Chaz93
View Profile
Inner circle
Texas
1753 Posts

Profile of Chaz93
P**k env*l*pes are my go-to utility device. I'll grab this and see how it plays, as I'm always looking for an improvement but so far the standard works well for me since you can p*ek, s*e*l, and lo*d with one envelope.
Ceierry
View Profile
Inner circle
Europe
1582 Posts

Profile of Ceierry
Purchased too.
Author of 10S Star Sign Divination - olivier.ceierry@gmail.com for a digital copy.
bentpenny
View Profile
Loyal user
203 Posts

Profile of bentpenny
I'll give some feedback on this download.

Quote:
The envelope is completely examinable, can be held in your spectator's hands and really does contain their original billet.

The key features for Steal is that the spectator is truly left with a completely ungimmicked envelope with their billet sealed inside. The spectator can seal the envelope themselves and take it home with them as a souvenir. Jamie even explains a method for signing the envelope too (I didn't expect this so it was a pleasant and welcome surprise). There is absolutely nothing to find. Jamie Daws delivers completely on these points. For me, these accomplishment were more than worth the price of the download.

As with most things in mentalism, the techniques used are not necessarily new, but Jamie's handling and application of them are (to my knowledge) original. I think in terms of value, most will be very satisfied with the 1.5h mentalism lesson from a seasoned professional. You will get 3 great routines that are shot in studio with full explanations. I was happy with it and felt like I got more than my money's worth.

Any negatives??? If I were to be super picky, I'd say that Steal is not exactly a f**l b****t p*** as the trailer sorta implies. It can be, but in practice I'd say it's not. I'd say it's more like a 2/3 to a 3/4 b*****t p***. This is not a deal breaker for me and I half expected it just by looking at the business cards. Another aspect that I wish was explored a bit more in depth is the handling of the hand off to the spectator. I can't go into more details without exposure, but I felt like this was one area in the handling I wish Jamie explained more and explored more in his tutorial. With all metalism methods, there will always be at least one little tradeoff you have to make and the handling at the the apex of the critical moment could have been explored in more depth. This won't be a huge deal if you're a seasoned mentalist. Let me balance the small tradeoff you need to make in the handling by saying that the critical moment does not last very long and can be handled and covered using known performance techniques.

Final points I'd say, the gimmick is extremely easy to construct but don't let the simplicity of the method disappoint you. What is important is that Steal is not just deceptive but VERY practical. I'd say that Steal is something that you'll need to practice for it to be smooth because there is a element of choreography involved. However, once you have it down you're golden. If you use envelopes and billets already, Steal would be perfect to add to your mentalism arsenal. I know I will be.

Thank you to Jamie Daws for releasing this. I tried my best to be fair in my comments on your product. I really enjoyed learning it and I'm even more excited to use it.
Ceierry
View Profile
Inner circle
Europe
1582 Posts

Profile of Ceierry
Quote:
On Nov 24, 2022, bentpenny wrote:
I'll give some feedback on this download.

Quote:

The key features for Steal is that the spectator is truly left with a completely ungimmicked envelope with their billet sealed inside. The spectator can seal the envelope themselves and take it home with them as a souvenir. Jamie even explains a method for signing the envelope too (I didn't expect this so it was a pleasant and welcome surprise). There is absolutely nothing to find. Jamie Daws delivers completely on these points. For me, these accomplishment were more than worth the price of the download.

As with most things in mentalism, the techniques used are not necessarily new, but Jamie's handling and application of them are (to my knowledge) original. I think in terms of value, most will be very satisfied with the 1.5h mentalism lesson from a seasoned professional. You will get 3 great routines that are shot in studio with full explanations. I was happy with it and felt like I got more than my money's worth.

Any negatives??? If I were to be super picky, I'd say that Steal is not exactly a f**l b****t p*** as the trailer sorta implies. It can be, but in practice I'd say it's not. I'd say it's more like a 2/3 to a 3/4 b*****t p***. This is not a deal breaker for me and I half expected it just by looking at the business cards. Another aspect that I wish was explored a bit more in depth is the handling of the hand off to the spectator. I can't go into more details without exposure, but I felt like this was one area in the handling I wish Jamie explained more and explored more in his tutorial. With all metalism methods, there will always be at least one little tradeoff you have to make and the handling at the the apex of the critical moment could have been explored in more depth. This won't be a huge deal if you're a seasoned mentalist. Let me balance the small tradeoff you need to make in the handling by saying that the critical moment does not last very long and can be handled and covered using known performance techniques.

Final points I'd say, the gimmick is extremely easy to construct but don't let the simplicity of the method disappoint you. What is important is that Steal is not just deceptive but VERY practical. I'd say that Steal is something that you'll need to practice for it to be smooth because there is a element of choreography involved. However, once you have it down you're golden. If you use envelopes and billets already, Steal would be perfect to add to your mentalism arsenal. I know I will be.

Thank you to Jamie Daws for releasing this. I tried my best to be fair in my comments on your product. I really enjoyed learning it and I'm even more excited to use it.

Very good review.
I really like it too and will post my thoughts tommorrow
JamieD
View Profile
Inner circle
London
1800 Posts

Profile of JamieD
Hey all! Thank you for the kind words about STEAL! I'm so glad it is getting the attention it deserves! It's such a wonderful utility that's lasted me many performances over the years!

the1914 and myself have had a ton of emails asking about the exact envelopes I used.

These are the act ones I had ordered but since the download went live, they save sold out: https://amzn.eu/d/cLG9BFn

However, I've had a scout about and whilst I haven't used these so I can't say if they're exactly the same, these look similar: https://www.etsy.com/uk/listing/90616389......79680536

I have ordered some so I can check for you all!

If anyone has any questions, please don't hesitate to let me know and I'll be happy to help!

Thank you all!

Jamie Daws
TORCE - VMRS - DARK SERIES
www.JAMIEDAWS.CO.UK
Fire Starter
View Profile
Inner circle
4810 Posts

Profile of Fire Starter
Is there a performance video?,anyone please.
bond19
View Profile
Inner circle
Blackpool, England
1338 Posts

Profile of bond19
Hi Jamie, I have one of your books which describes an envelope peek. Is this similar in operation or different? Thanks
Nathan Alexander
View Profile
Inner circle
2024 Posts

Profile of Nathan Alexander
I'm curious if the envelopes are difficult to come by in the US?
Roberto W
View Profile
Inner circle
1253 Posts

Profile of Roberto W
I’m assuming you have to be holding 2 envelopes in your hand when the card goes in and can’t just be holding 1 envelope to insert the card (because of the method)?
Thanks
Roberto W
View Profile
Inner circle
1253 Posts

Profile of Roberto W
Quote:
On Nov 26, 2022, Fire Starter wrote:

Here is the trailer for it… it shows the moment you would get the peek, but not a full performance start to finish which ideally would be good to see.
https://youtu.be/XxT_EhMpfao
Elmer 84
View Profile
Regular user
181 Posts

Profile of Elmer 84
Quote:
On Nov 26, 2022, Roberto W wrote:
I’m assuming you have to be holding 2 envelopes in your hand when the card goes in and can’t just be holding 1 envelope to insert the card (because of the method)?
Thanks

Yes, that's right. The finer details of the handling make this matter inconsequential in terms of what the spectator sees or remembers.

Imho this is the best thing Jamie has put out, and he's put out a lot of good stuff.
Tim Novy
View Profile
New user
67 Posts

Profile of Tim Novy
Jacob Smith
View Profile
Inner circle
Columbus, OH
1880 Posts

Profile of Jacob Smith
I thought it was a very cool set of ideas and the technique itself is so stupid simple brilliant.

There is nothing here that will make you personally raise your hands in the air screaming “I believe,” but I love the envelope technique and the shopping routine in here is really solid.

I will definitely be putting this into stuff in already doing, it is nice to finally have a thing where I can have two envelopes in my pocket that I can re-use or just grab a fresh normal envelope each time if I want to dramatically leave it behind so they can go crazy convincing themselves there is no way I could see invade the envelope. Never was a fan of the Dark Arts style envelope solutions and our old friend the window envelope only felt really good in the Marc Paul/Jermay style routines.

Definitely worth an investment to the right performer Smile

Jake
Fire Starter
View Profile
Inner circle
4810 Posts

Profile of Fire Starter
Quote:
On Nov 26, 2022, Roberto W wrote:
Quote:
On Nov 26, 2022, Fire Starter wrote:

Here is the trailer for it… it shows the moment you would get the peek, but not a full performance start to finish which ideally would be good to see.
https://youtu.be/XxT_EhMpfao

Thank you Roberto
quantum_swami
View Profile
New user
60 Posts

Profile of quantum_swami
I bought this in the 1914's black friday sale and it's excellent. If you like billet work then you really can't go wrong picking this one up. It's devious but so simple.

Quote:
On Nov 26, 2022, JamieD wrote:
I have ordered some so I can check for you all!

Thank you Jamie, please keep us posted with your findings. I practised without a problem with my regulr ol' pay envelopes but I do see the appeal of obtaining slightly thicker ones.

The Etsy link looks promising but I noticed the seller is out in Australia and I'm in England so if you (or anybody) find good alternatives closer to home, please post the link here and let us know.

Cheers
dirtyfoucault
View Profile
Special user
UK
700 Posts

Profile of dirtyfoucault
Is Steal any different to Dee Christopher's 1984 envelope from a few years back?
bentpenny
View Profile
Loyal user
203 Posts

Profile of bentpenny
Haha did you guys see?! Part of my review got picked up by Jamie in his latest email blast! High five to myself.

Jamie, what do you think about my comment on the critical moment? Do you think it's just over thinking? If I could work on/develop one area further, that would be it. Although the camera is a dead eye, I think people/magicians can actually feel that specific moment in the trailer. Instead of a moment of clarity, it feels like moment of confusion. Is the trick to simply push on ahead?
JamieD
View Profile
Inner circle
London
1800 Posts

Profile of JamieD
Hello all, so sorry for the delay in getting back to you all! I'll answer questions as they came up! Smile

Fire Starter - There isn't a full trailer but the p**k moment can be seen on the trailer. That really is the bulk of the move!

bond19 - It was featured in Connect the Dots but only addressed it's basic form. STEAL offers a more comprehensive excavation of the move and its intricacies. It also has some fully formed routines in there too! I'm sure owners of the original write up will equally enjoy the download and get something from it.

Nathan Alexander - Any coin/pay envelope will work! I prefer a slightly thicker stock of paper as it helps. I recommend looking for 'Kraft' coin envelopes. But looking for the thickest paper stock is fine. Even then, it'll work with whatever envelopes you currently have.

quantum_swami - I will! I'll keep looking around to see if we can source a slightly thicker envelope.

Roberto W - You do need to be holding 2 envelopes but we address ways to get around this. Furthermore, on a personal note, I think it's magician thinking to be worried about holding more than one envelope. It is normal to hold more than one envelope anyway. I have performed this hundreds of times over 6 years and never once has anyone questioned the amount of envelopes I'm holding. Either way, to cover all basis, we address this on the download! Smile (exactly what Elmer 84 said!)

dirtyfoucault - Dee's gorgeous envelope is a different beast in an of itself! I'm a huge fan of envelopes in mentalism and Dee's is one of my favourite!

bentpenny - It did! Thank you! I'm presuming you mean the moment you get the p**k or when you hand it out? I'll address both! ;-) Those who have caught an envelope p**k before will know there are subtle ways to get around the 'obviousness' of it. I would argue, an audience member wouldnt suspect a 'gimmicked envelope' as these don't exist in a spectators mind. But, further to that, you hand out the envelope and they can check for themselves that it isn't see through. So if they think somehow you can see through it, they will unconvinced themselves. The final hand over is another moment that is more of a magician thinking thing. Much like we obsess over a d****e l**t and how it looks, in reality, as long as it looks the way it's intending to look, then the actions doesn't really matter. Spectators can see 5 dl's and not realise it's different fundamentally. This is a multilayered method which is designed to 'clean up' the weaknesses in some other techniques of this kind. The handing out of the envelope at the end clears up pretty much any doubt in a spectators mind. I know, after doing this once or twice, you'll see how solid, clean and fun this is to perform!

I hope this clears everything up and thank you all for the support! I am really, really glad everyone is seeing the strength in this move!!!!!

Jamie Daws
TORCE - VMRS - DARK SERIES
www.JAMIEDAWS.CO.UK
bentpenny
View Profile
Loyal user
203 Posts

Profile of bentpenny
Thanks Jamie, I've been testing this out with solid reactions. I'm really happy with it.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » Jamie Daws Steal - The 1914 (17 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2~3 [Next]
X
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.07 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL