The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » What happened, was this... » » Made a kid bleed for the 1st time today! (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
Webhead93
View Profile
New user
Florida
74 Posts

Profile of Webhead93
I am a newbie to the magic business. I've done about 10 paid shows so far. Mostly kids birthdays. I had a young girl come up today to help with cut and restored rope. She was about 8yrs old.

When I brought the rope up to have it cut she used one hand to steady the rope and the other to cut. I continued with the routine which consists of the volunteer cutting the rope a few more times. Each time she wanted to hold the rope near the place where she was cutting.

On the third or fourth cut someone yelled out "I think she cut her finger!"

I laughed along with everyone else thinking that it was a joke. I looked down and she was holding her hand with a confused look on her face. I said, "Did you really?"

She opened her hand and there was real blood! I could see the cut was not real big but it was bleeding! I absolutey froze and didn't know what to say. I asked if anyone had a band-aid and they all laughed louder!

I finally asked if her mom was there and told the girl she better go see her. Her mom took her away to the bathroom. I continued on and the girl returned a few minutes later with a band-aid on.

To make a long story even longer, the girl was fine and even helped with another trick. The mom said it was no big deal.

So the moral of the story is: keep a first aid kit with you at all times at all of your shows! Actually that wouldn't be a bad idea.

Just make sure you pick out the oldest kid and keep their other hand away from the scissors!
A. Mark Wilson
Samuel Catoe
View Profile
Inner circle
South Carolina
1256 Posts

Profile of Samuel Catoe
A first aid kit is not a bad idea. Good participant management is a better one.
Author of Illusions of Influence, a treatise on Equivoque.
PM me for details and availability.
Shane Wiker
View Profile
Inner circle
Las Vegas
1199 Posts

Profile of Shane Wiker
Don't give scissors to children. If you want someone to cut something, make sure they are at least 12. You're lucky nothing worse happened than that happened. You could have been sued a lot of money if something worse happened or if it was the daughter of someone who just wanted a reason to sue.

Shane Wiker
paulajayne
View Profile
Inner circle
London England
1160 Posts

Profile of paulajayne
Hi

Got your insurance ????

Paula
Paula Jay - Magic to Remember -
---------------------------------
I once wrote a book on elephants, I think paper would have been better.
----
Hoelderlin
View Profile
Regular user
Turin, italy
112 Posts

Profile of Hoelderlin
When one need to give them to children, it is better to use safety scissors (rounded and that unable to cut hands).
Hölderlin (Massimo Manca) - Circolo Amici della Magia - Turin - Italy.
Rob Johnston
View Profile
Inner circle
Utah
2060 Posts

Profile of Rob Johnston
One word:

Lawsuit!

You got lucky that the mom didn't care too much.
"Genius is another word for magic, and the whole point of magic is that it is inexplicable." - Margot Fonteyn
magicpatrick
View Profile
New user
14 Posts

Profile of magicpatrick
I`m getting a bit tired of the American style of thinking (Lawsuit.....) don`t you get tired of that?

What I do ( as a magician AND teacher), I tell the child to hold his hand flat, so I can put the scissor on top of their hand. I show the rope to the audience and do my little magical thing, before I take the scissor and cut it in half. After a lot of cutting, I restore it into 1 piece. I put the real scissor away and ask him to take out his fingerscissor and cut the rope with his fingers.

This way, the child is safe and it can still help you with the trick!

Patrick
Joe Russell
View Profile
Veteran user
Buffalo NY
397 Posts

Profile of Joe Russell
Yes bring bandades and insurance
Who is Tattoo Joe?
EddyRay
View Profile
Special user
United States Of America
525 Posts

Profile of EddyRay
Quote:
On 2004-07-05 22:39, paulajayne wrote:
Hi

Got your insurance ????

Paula

Liability Insurance is a must.
Brent McLeod
View Profile
Inner circle
New Zealand
1700 Posts

Profile of Brent McLeod
Man no wonder performers are screwed up in your country!!

All you ever hear is Sue-Liability,Insurance ETC ETC- the easy way out for the whingers!!

That never happens in this part of the world-Why?

You cant sue people like the gravy train in USA!

This performer was obviously very silly in handing a kid scissors & not watching as we all know what can happen -did happen

You must manage your assistants at all times

I know hundreds of performers been peforming for 30-50 yrs-never 1 insurance or sue threat ever!!!-People use comonsense & move on

The mother was right in this circumstance-kids have accidents- get over it

But the performer obviously should have been more attentive-hopefully has learnt a valuable lesson!!!

AS for the Sue me Brigade-Get A life .
pkg
View Profile
Inner circle
The City of Ithobaal I son of Hiram I
1356 Posts

Profile of pkg
Band aids, insurance, and NO SHARP ITEMS NEAR KIDS FOR CRYING OUT LOUD!

you gotta be careful though (insurance insurance insurance) you americans would sue anyone for anything! so BE COVERED!
Double posters should be shot!

No really!!
Bill Nuvo
View Profile
Inner circle
3094 Posts or
2747 Posts

Profile of Bill Nuvo
I had an adult cut their finger during a cut and restored rope bit. I brought up a kid to help, but asked for an adult for the cutting. She cut her finger (my crew gave her first aid) but it actually turned out okay and was a source of entertainment (sickos) for the audience since I said the kid couldn't cut but needed an adult for safety reasons! I made a joke too when she came back about the cut and restored finger too.

After the show I apologized to her. She said, it was okay and that it was her fault. She couldn't believed she did that. She was a good sport.

And in case she wasn't, I have insurance.
benlewis2004
View Profile
Regular user
150 Posts

Profile of benlewis2004
And make sure you have public liability insurance
gsidhe
View Profile
Inner circle
Michigan
1726 Posts

Profile of gsidhe
We Americans do not sue for just anything...
We sue for MONEY!
In all seriousness, it is simply a few bad apples making the rest of us look bad. In entertainment, we come into contact with a LOT of apples, and chances are, at any show of more than 5 people, we have a bad one present. We accidentally pick that bad one, something goes wrong, it's our bums.
I don't like it, don't support it, would never frivolously sue someone for something that is my own dang fault, and probably wouldn't sue someone for something that is their fault...
But I still have to play defense.
It stinks...
But don't sum it up as "You Americans..."
It aint me.
Gwyd
nucinud
View Profile
Inner circle
New York, New York
1297 Posts

Profile of nucinud
I never give spectators sharp objects.
They can turn them against you as well, besides hurting themselves.
"We are what we pretend to be" Kurt Vonnegut, jr.

Now U C It Now U Don't

Harry Mandel

www.mandelmagic.com
magicswan
View Profile
Loyal user
springfield,ma
253 Posts

Profile of magicswan
I punched a kid in the face once during a hippty hop rabbits routine...ahhh goodtimes
Marvello
View Profile
Inner circle
It's amazing how little I can say in
1490 Posts

Profile of Marvello
Once when I was younger I lost the keys to my thumbcuffs, and a friend, who didn't know that I had lost the keys, put them on and tightened them. Then he asked me to get him out and I told him that I couldn't and he turned white as a ghost. We had to drive to the police station and ask them to unlock it for us.
Never criticize someone else until you have walked a mile in their shoes. Then, when you do criticize them, you will be a mile away from them and you will have their shoes.
CdnAndrew
View Profile
Regular user
Toronto, Canada
149 Posts

Profile of CdnAndrew
As a recommendation, if you're going to carry a first-aid kit, being certified in first aid is a good help. It's nice to know "ok, put a band-aid on it", but if some other injury happened (whether do to illusions, props.. or just something random that happened at your show) it's always good to know how to handle it!

Glad to hear that the mother was sensible enough to say "no big deal, just a small cut." Too many people seem to think, "hey... I can sue.. that'll get me a few bucks..."

Andrew
Destiny
View Profile
Inner circle
1429 Posts

Profile of Destiny
People do sue for silly reasons - here in Australia someone did a city because the footpath was uneven and they tripped - another because he got hurt diving in at an isolated beach that had no signs to signify it was dangerous - the gene pool is looking murky

BUT

we as performers have to be responsible for OUR actions - if we take danger to our audiences - WE must protect them - they shouldn't have to protect themselves from us.
johnobryant
View Profile
Regular user
Texas
195 Posts

Profile of johnobryant
That will definitly stop the show cold.

Sounds like you need to change your rope routine with the kids. Read a book on entertaining kids.

+no fire
+no scissors
+no difficult card effects
+etc

-john
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » What happened, was this... » » Made a kid bleed for the 1st time today! (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.19 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL