The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » What happened, was this... » » Made a kid bleed for the 1st time today! (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
James Alan
View Profile
Special user
Toronto, Ontario
678 Posts

Profile of James Alan
Maybe look into rope effects that use "magic invisible scissors" (your fingers making the snip-snip motion). I think Daryl's routine has a phase like that.
James Alan

Magic & Martini | Blog | Facebook
pradell
View Profile
Special user
Alaska
559 Posts

Profile of pradell
Liability insurance is available for magicians through the I.B.M. and the S.A.M. at a reasonable price at the following websites:

http://www.magician.org/Liability_Insurance.htm
http://www.magicsam.com/membershipbenefits.asp#liability

You can complain all you want about lawsuits but at least in the U.S. they are a reality if things go wrong. And the mistakes may not even be yours. I performed for free at a local magic club's holiday show and one of the other magi hung up a large light from the ceiling which fell on a child during the performance. Luckily the mother chose not to pursue a lawsuit. Only 2 of the performers were insured.
I know a local clown who I've seen juggle three machetes over a child's body, lying on the ground. Sometimes we do stupid things without even thinking about the consequences.
And what about the kid who goes home after the show and tries to do what you did? Swords, fire and other danger tricks carry their own risks.
As do balloons. Effective February 1, 1995 products that were manufactured in or imported to the United States must comply with the Child Safety Protection Act, which requires the following:
Any latex balloon, or toy or game that contains a latex balloon, shall be labeled as follows: WARNING: CHOKING HAZARD-Children under eight yrs. can choke or suffocate on uninflated or broken balloons. Adult supervision required. Keep uninflated balloons from children. Discard broken balloons at once.
So even simple things we take for granted can become liabilities. Protect yourself. Buy some insurance.
:magicrabbit:
GWSchott
View Profile
Veteran user
Southeastern Michigan
361 Posts

Profile of GWSchott
I do a dove pan candy production at the end of my kid's shows and use a 2" X 3" piece of flash paper. I'm not worried about anyone getting hurt during the trick itself, but I have started to worry about kids going home and trying to light something on fire themselves trying to get it to change into something else. My wife says I worry too much, but I'm thinking of ditching the fire completely.
Yours In Magic,
Gordon
gsidhe
View Profile
Inner circle
Michigan
1726 Posts

Profile of gsidhe
When I did kidshow and had fire in my dovepan, I never used a device where they could see me light it. At a magic convention, I bought a HUGE magic wand made of 2" PVC pipe that had a grill lighter inside. I would use the wand to "stir" the ingredients, pushed the button and surprise!!! Fire! They never saw that it was intentionally lit. I would also teach the kids the recipie that I was using, and told them that these exact ingredients were the only ones that could possibly work. And for the liquid (Was using zippo fluid instead of flash paper) I told them that the last ingredient was a tablespoon of water.
So...A kid can go home, throw the ingredients into a pan in their kitchen and stir for all they were worth. No Fire, no worries.
Gwyd
BIlly James
View Profile
Special user
991 Posts

Profile of BIlly James
Quote:
On 2006-09-25 14:27, plasticdestiny wrote:
People do sue for silly reasons - here in Australia someone did a city because the footpath was uneven and they tripped - another because he got hurt diving in at an isolated beach that had no signs to signify it was dangerous - the gene pool is looking murky

Being from Oz you may have heard of the jugglers "The Allisons", well the guy had been juggling an apple while biting it. A little later a lady from the audience slipped on a piece of rogue apple and sued him for 75 grand. Hooray for public liability insurance.

Just on the cut & restored topic - I once cut my own hand while doing it. It was right near the start of the show and the cut was on that piece of skin between your thumb and index finger. It wasn't a huge cut but it bled like crazy and didn't want to stop. I did the rest of the act with a hanky wrapped around my hand. What a classy piece of entertainment that was! Smile

Now touching on the inuring kids topic - In my school shows I use to display a number of boards (cardboard, roughly A3 size) at the end of the show and each board had one of the educational points of the show on it. However in the middle on the boards was one board with something ridiculous written on it, just as a gag to break up the educational part a little. Anyway, when I got to that board I would look at it in disgust and throw it behind me...but one day when I threw the board BEHIND me, it did a really weird twilight-zone-boomerang-frisby-thing and came flying around me and forwards (towards the kids) then it went straight up and straight down and hit a kid just under his eye. Immediately he put his head into his hands and began sobbing and a teacher ran to his aid.

Fortunately the skin wasn't broken and everything turned out OK, but that was a really freak accident. I couldn't get the board to fly like that if I wanted to. Even Ricky Jay wouldn't be able to.

Cheers
Billy
Magic Mike Japan
View Profile
New user
Yokosuka, Japan (U.S. Mailing Address)
98 Posts

Profile of Magic Mike Japan
It's the main reason I don't do the Needle Thru the Balloon trick at kids shows any longer. You're just asking for trouble and a kid with the needle sticking through his eye!
"There's no limit to what one man can accomplish, as long as he's willing to let someone else have the credit." (These words were inscribed on a small brass plaque which sat on President Ronald Reagan's desk in the White House during his second term.)
<BR><BR
ibm_usa
View Profile
Special user
In Your Mind, Ky, USA
722 Posts

Profile of ibm_usa
Quote:
On 2006-07-15 11:19, magicswan wrote:
I punched a kid in the face once during a hippty hop rabbits routine...ahhh goodtimes

Jerk!
"You may think that i only talk of things from the past, you know, history, well magic is history"

-Guy Jarrett

"Curiosity isn't a sin Harry, but it should be exorcised with great caution."

-Albus Dumbledore (Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire)
http://www.jordanallen-mentalist.webs.com/
ibm_usa
View Profile
Special user
In Your Mind, Ky, USA
722 Posts

Profile of ibm_usa
Quote:
On 2006-10-26 23:49, GWSchott wrote:
I do a dove pan candy production at the end of my kid's shows and use a 2" X 3" piece of flash paper. I'm not worried about anyone getting hurt during the trick itself, but I have started to worry about kids going home and trying to light something on fire themselves trying to get it to change into something else. My wife says I worry too much, but I'm thinking of ditching the fire completely.

YOu need to tell them not to attempt anything they see at home, that way if they do lit the house on fire it won't be your fault because you have made a disclaimer, end of discussion.
"You may think that i only talk of things from the past, you know, history, well magic is history"

-Guy Jarrett

"Curiosity isn't a sin Harry, but it should be exorcised with great caution."

-Albus Dumbledore (Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire)
http://www.jordanallen-mentalist.webs.com/
Andy the cardician
View Profile
Inner circle
A street named after my dad
3370 Posts

Profile of Andy the cardician
Guess we all know the story of the magician who destroys and restores daddy's wristwatch during the birthday show.

The next day the birthday boy tries to reconstruct the trick. It all went well, except for the restauration part.

Andy
Cards never lie
snedglow
View Profile
New user
Pine Grove, PA
94 Posts

Profile of snedglow
Quote:
On 2005-11-14 18:14, Brent McLeod wrote:
Man no wonder performers are screwed up in your country!!
All you ever hear is Sue-Liability,Insurance ETC ETC- the easy way out for the whingers!!
That never happens in this part of the world-Why?
You cant sue people like the gravy train in USA!
This performer was obviously very silly in handing a kid scissors & not watching as we all know what can happen -did happen
You must manage your assistants at all times
I know hundreds of performers been performing for 30-50 yrs-never 1 insurance or sue threat ever!!!-People use common sense & move on
The mother was right in this circumstance-kids have accidents- get over it
But the performer obviously should have been more attentive-hopefully has learnt a valuable lesson!!!
AS for the Sue me Brigade-Get A life .

Funny, the only whining I see in this post is from the performer from New Zealand. All Americans aren't inclined to sue someone just for something to do. And thanks for the compliments, but all performers from "our country" aren't screwed up.

At least we know how to spell "learned" here in the U.S.
-Randy
[email]rsnedden@closeupmagic.org[/email]
Smile
~~~~~
“Chance is but the pseudonym of God for those particular cases which He does not choose to subscribe to openly with His own signature ... ”
ElectricBlue
View Profile
New user
90 Posts

Profile of ElectricBlue
It is true that all performers should have public liability no matter how tame your act is you never know what can happen.

I perform in a small side show in Australia, all of our performers have public liability insurance and senior first aid certificates. We recognised that because we perform some dangerous and grosses stunts we need to be prepared not only for an accident with a performer but also just in case somebody doesn’t take and act to well and say, faints and hits their head or worse.

sned I didn't like the way that Brent came across in his post either but I think he is not so much criticising American performers so much as recognising how much it would suck to have to perform in a culture where some people with sue over petty things. By law in New Zealand and some what in Australia it is harder for people to sue over ridiculous things. So you can understand not "getting" why American performers are so cautious.

Also before you start making low blows about peoples spelling you should check your dictionary. http://www.askoxford.com/asktheexperts/f......g/learnt
daffydoug
View Profile
Eternal Order
Look mom! I've got
14063 Posts

Profile of daffydoug
As I read this story, I am reminded of how we are all human, and all subject to error..after all, David Copperield cut the tip of his own finger off while doing cut and restored rope once. So the poster is in the best of company.
The difficult must become easy, the easy beautiful and the beautiful magical.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » What happened, was this... » » Made a kid bleed for the 1st time today! (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.19 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL