The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The spooky, the mysterious...the bizarre! » » Looking for some information: fake mediums and seance magicians (24 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
Charmagic
View Profile
New user
7 Posts

Profile of Charmagic
Hello,

I am currently working a on little project and was wondering if anyone could point me in the direction of some information. The information being on fake mediums from anytime and seance magicians from anytime as well. Thank you!
Satire
View Profile
New user
88 Posts

Profile of Satire
I found "The Indescribable Phenomenon: The Life and Mysteries of Anna Eva Fay" to be very informative. (I picked it up on the recommendation of someone here, actually!)
pulpscrypt
View Profile
Special user
Within the shadows
581 Posts

Profile of pulpscrypt
Charmagic
View Profile
New user
7 Posts

Profile of Charmagic
Thank you both for your help, Satire and pulpscrypt! I think both will help pull me in the right direction for my project.
critter
View Profile
Inner circle
Spokane, WA
2653 Posts

Profile of critter
"The fool is one who doesn't know what you have just found out."
~Will Rogers
Charmagic
View Profile
New user
7 Posts

Profile of Charmagic
Thank you critter! I will definitely be getting that book!
critter
View Profile
Inner circle
Spokane, WA
2653 Posts

Profile of critter
Houdini's Magician Among the Spirits was really important, historically. Secret Life of Houdini has a lot about the Spiritualists too. I used both of these as references in my psychology of cults lecture unit on Spiritualism.

I've heard that The Indescribable Phenomenon: The Life and Mysteries of Anna Eva Fay by Barry H. Wiley is quite good and there's a Magic Detective podcast about her that references this book. I haven't had a chance to read it. The podcast was great.
~Will Rogers
mindmagic
View Profile
Inner circle
London
1740 Posts

Profile of mindmagic
Behind the Scenes with Mediums by David Abbott is another classic which you can find online. Also see if you can find a copy of "Houdini and Dunninger".
Charmagic
View Profile
New user
7 Posts

Profile of Charmagic
Thank you again critter, houdini's work started this little project if I am being honest.

And thank you mindmagic, I will take a look at both of those!
Joshua J
View Profile
Inner circle
1043 Posts

Profile of Joshua J
I would check out older material by people like Robert Nelson and Annemann, etc that explain spook shows. Plenty of books on Amazon giving details of Victorian spiritualists. Servants of the supernatural was a good one. Then there is no shortage of modern material. Paul Voodini's paranormal entertainer is a good starting point. But whatever you have planned I think it's important that you show respect. Many people still have different beliefs in the supernatural and it's worth having the understanding of their beliefs to not offend. It would help if you explain more of your intentions to direct you to suitable material.
balzar
View Profile
Loyal user
207 Posts

Profile of balzar
Check out this podcast from the BBC:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p0bk74xd

Vicky Baker investigates the stranger-than-fiction story of Lamar Keene, a renowned psychic who confessed to being part of an underground network he called the "psychic mafia"
critter
View Profile
Inner circle
Spokane, WA
2653 Posts

Profile of critter
I'm not 100% certain but I believe Steven Hassan's Freedom of Mind book mentions some of the shadier practices of the early spiritualists.
It's always interesting to me to think about where the line is between a religion and a cult and when a cult becomes a destructive cult. Many early spiritualists certainly engaged in some illicit practices, including possibly murder. But they also provided some comfort or catharsis to grieving people during a horrific war. Is that all bad? Not for me to judge. Murder certainly is. Adultery, not my business but not a fan.

It's also interesting that there are still quite a few active spiritualist churches. There's even at least one whole village.

Sorry for the tangent. This is a subject I find endless fascination with.
~Will Rogers
critter
View Profile
Inner circle
Spokane, WA
2653 Posts

Profile of critter
Quote:
On Feb 1, 2023, balzar wrote:
Check out this podcast from the BBC:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p0bk74xd

Vicky Baker investigates the stranger-than-fiction story of Lamar Keene, a renowned psychic who confessed to being part of an underground network he called the "psychic mafia"

And now I know what I'm listening to on my way to work tonight.
~Will Rogers
Charmagic
View Profile
New user
7 Posts

Profile of Charmagic
Thank you Joshua J for the information. And I agree one hundred percent, I am taking a respectful look at both sides of the coin. I find Magic and spiritualism have an interesting meeting point and I am looking at this. I know not everyone believes and for magicians it can be difficult as well as they can recreate feats mediums do. But, I think the interject between the two is a fascinating thing to look at. Respecting both sides is very important to me in this project.
Charmagic
View Profile
New user
7 Posts

Profile of Charmagic
Thank you Balzar, I will definitely take a look into that! Sounds incredibly fascinating!

And Critter I agree there are two sides of any coin and it's interesting to see them both.
gaddy
View Profile
Inner circle
Agent of Chaos
3528 Posts

Profile of gaddy
"The Psychic Mafia" by M. Lamar Keene.

I re-read this on a fairly regular basis.
*due to the editorial policies here, words on this site attributed to me cannot necessarily be held to be my own.*
pulpscrypt
View Profile
Special user
Within the shadows
581 Posts

Profile of pulpscrypt
The British podcast on Lamarr Keene was fantastic. Thanks for the heads up! And f you want more info, there is always "The Psychic Mafia" book, available cheapest (reprint) I found is on penguin magic.
pulpscrypt
View Profile
Special user
Within the shadows
581 Posts

Profile of pulpscrypt
Sorry Gaddy, didn't see your post!
gaddy
View Profile
Inner circle
Agent of Chaos
3528 Posts

Profile of gaddy
More the merrier. It deserves more recognition!
*due to the editorial policies here, words on this site attributed to me cannot necessarily be held to be my own.*
Charmagic
View Profile
New user
7 Posts

Profile of Charmagic
Thank you Gaddy and pulpscrypt!
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The spooky, the mysterious...the bizarre! » » Looking for some information: fake mediums and seance magicians (24 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL