The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » Training (3 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

GJo
View Profile
Loyal user
280 Posts

Profile of GJo
Who here is self taught (books, tapes, etc), and who has been taught one-on-one, or in a class situation?

What were your journeys?
funsway
View Profile
Inner circle
old things in new ways - new things in old ways
9988 Posts

Profile of funsway
There is also "mentoring" as a learning option - not the the same as teaching/instructing. Details later after others chime in.
"the more one pretends at magic, the more awe and wonder will be found in real life." Arnold Furst

eBooks at https://www.lybrary.com/ken-muller-m-579928.html questions at ken@eversway.com
Russo
View Profile
Inner circle
So.California / Centl.Florida / retired Florida
1167 Posts

Profile of Russo
In the late 40's early 50's I was an welfare child - Uncle had a book called "Fun For Boys" - in it was a section about Magic, and one on Ventriloquism - (I just receive a copy on line -1st one disappeared ). So did shows for a couple of $$ -to help Mom and sis. After a Lady's club gave me $10. for a small gig when I was 14. (now 85, 75 in Magic/Vent performing for $250. Up -now retired).. Most learning was self taught, Books from the Library - trial and error. NO TV to see Magicians - Must have been successful, Magic/Vent. was always an Ad-Vocation (per advise from State Welfare Dept, ha ha ha ) etc. So, save gig $$. And now We're Debt free and bought home for cash, retired in Florida. How ?, Often made more gig $$, per a week than Job (which paid for for Dr.- Health, vacations, retirement $$ etc. 'You Know', for self and Family -including Wonderful Wife and 2 great Kids) and so saved gig $$- AHHHHHHHHHHHH 'Life Story'- LOL see profile <> Ralph ROUSSEAU < (russo)
Baileybrat
View Profile
New user
10 Posts

Profile of Baileybrat
Right now I all learning on my own from Mark Wilson’s complete course in magic book. I am also watching Jason Maher on YouTube. He does some tutorial videos that are really cool. Some of it is very advanced but it is still fun to watch
davidpaul$
View Profile
Inner circle
Georgetown, South Carolina
3094 Posts

Profile of davidpaul$
Mostly self taught from books and VHS tapes way back when and of course Dvd's. Joined the SAM, went to meetings, sessioned with other enthusiasts and went to many lectures offered by Pros. Hung out at my
local magic shop every Wednesday evening for years.. Worth every second of my time and efforts.
Magic has been a blessing in so many ways.
Guilt will betray you before technique betrays you!
gaddy
View Profile
Inner circle
Agent of Chaos
3528 Posts

Profile of gaddy
In his book, The Magic of Michael Ammar, Mr. Ammar has an entire chapter on Magic practice as "training."
*due to the editorial policies here, words on this site attributed to me cannot necessarily be held to be my own.*
davidpaul$
View Profile
Inner circle
Georgetown, South Carolina
3094 Posts

Profile of davidpaul$
Quote:
On Feb 2, 2023, gaddy wrote:
In his book, The Magic of Michael Ammar, Mr. Ammar has an entire chapter on Magic practice as "training."

Great Book... best teaching on the TT Bill switch I might add.
Guilt will betray you before technique betrays you!
magic501
View Profile
New user
3 Posts

Profile of magic501
After high school, I got a job with the Justice Department in Washington, D.C. in the mailroom. One of the agents was showing a card trick. I asked him about it and he steered me to Al's Magic Shop, which was right down the street. I went in and it became my weekend place to go. Al told me about a magician, Winton Carroll, who held a magic class at one of the universities around the area. I joined up and that was my beginning. I've done stuff off and on for years, especially when I joined the military. Now that I have retired from working, I have more time to fully invest as a hobby.
JDobbs
View Profile
New user
69 Posts

Profile of JDobbs
I started in the late 1980s when I was 8 or 9. My grandfather was a local magician in the New Bedford, MA area. He showed me my first trick and has been hooked since. Had a few years where I did not do anything, but I have been in and out of magic since I was 8 or 9. For the most part, I have been self-taught through books and videos. Similar to magic501, I have a full-time job, so performing is not a viable option for me. As a disabled veteran, I find sleight-of-hand beneficial to maintaining my dexterity; or what dexterity I have left. For me, this is a therapeutic method that I use. Similar to David Copperfield's Project Magic, just without the use or assistance from others.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » Training (3 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.01 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL