The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » EDCeipt by Craig Petty - BRAND NEW » » TOPIC IS LOCKED (2340 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3..13~14~15~16~17..27..36..45..54..63~64~65 [Next]
The Unmasked Magician
View Profile
Inner circle
If only I didn't have a wife and a kid I would have MUCH more than
2709 Posts

Profile of The Unmasked Magician
The one trait that distinguishes narcissists is their complete lack of compassion. You can see in brain scans that there is just no activity there. If Michael falls in that category people are just instrumental and either useful to him in stroking his ego or not. I for one am not yet inclined to show him compassion. He has been bullying others for a long time, it seems. Making them suffer. He had only stated that Craig wins. Not shown any regret or compassion for what he did to others. A few days and pages of outing and calling it like it is seems fine to me.
Please check regularly if you are becoming the type of magician Jerry Seinfeld jokes about. (This applies to mentalists as well.)
Noobmaster69
View Profile
Regular user
150 Posts

Profile of Noobmaster69
Quote:
On Feb 4, 2023, 453rob wrote:
In all this !@#$%ing and moaning and personal attacks on both Petty and Weber, I have yet to see a question if Petty actually credited Weber as an influence for EDceipt.
Just a credit to a previous creator would have gone a long way to avoid this lengthy drama.

They haven't seen anything but the trailer, so how exactly would crediting have avoided anything?
Sudo Nimh
View Profile
Inner circle
1879 Posts

Profile of Sudo Nimh
Quote:
On Feb 4, 2023, The Unmasked Magician wrote:
The one trait that distinguishes narcissists is their complete lack of compassion. You can see in brain scans that there is just no activity there.

To be fair, that's not entirely true. Narcissism is often hand-in-hand with those who are diagnosed with Cluster B disorders (sociopathic, psychopathic) which is caused by a lack of development in the frontal lobe and is evident in brain scans. But a person can have narcissism without being Cluster B and it's often caused from neglect, trauma, abuse etc during the developing years (typically) and constitutes as a defense mechanism.
The Unmasked Magician
View Profile
Inner circle
If only I didn't have a wife and a kid I would have MUCH more than
2709 Posts

Profile of The Unmasked Magician
Thanks for that elaboration/correction/nuance. Good point.

I do feel he does not show any sign of guilt or take responsabilty. Which is why people are still angry.
Please check regularly if you are becoming the type of magician Jerry Seinfeld jokes about. (This applies to mentalists as well.)
Sudo Nimh
View Profile
Inner circle
1879 Posts

Profile of Sudo Nimh
Quote:
On Feb 4, 2023, The Unmasked Magician wrote:

I do feel he does not show any sign of guilt or take responsabilty. Which is why people are still angry.

I understand this. While no apologies or remorse has been demonstrated at this point, it is entirely possible one could come later on after he has taken some time to fully process and think things over. Or maybe not. Only time will tell. Either way, the world continues on.

Speaking from my own experience, there's things I've done in life which took years (in some cases) for me to understand the full gravity of. It doesn't always happen right away and sometimes time helps provide the clarity we need.
JDobbs
View Profile
New user
69 Posts

Profile of JDobbs
Quote:
On Feb 4, 2023, DJG wrote:
- When you're travelling, you have a horrible habit of putting receipts in your wallet and forgetting to take them out. You can even remark how expensive things are getting

- Take several real receipts "mix" them up with EDCeipt, and use a f**rc bag to get the "several" you need.

Just a couple of ideas I had to use em'.

This is what this thread should be about. I agree and mentioned this on YouTube two days ago. In the comments.
JDobbs
View Profile
New user
69 Posts

Profile of JDobbs
Quote:
On Feb 4, 2023, Noobmaster69 wrote:
Quote:
On Feb 4, 2023, 453rob wrote:
In all this !@#$%ing and moaning and personal attacks on both Petty and Weber, I have yet to see a question if Petty actually credited Weber as an influence for EDceipt.
Just a credit to a previous creator would have gone a long way to avoid this lengthy drama.

They haven't seen anything but the trailer, so how exactly would crediting have avoided anything?

Craig and team would have talked with and exchange what the methods are to see if similar and then add credits if appropriate.
Sudo Nimh
View Profile
Inner circle
1879 Posts

Profile of Sudo Nimh
Quote:
On Feb 4, 2023, Nick23 wrote:
I hear it comes with templates to make your own receipts in your own language/country or I suppose once you fully understand the structure you could you buy the items from real shops and use genuine receipts with some slight modification.

I hope it comes with templates; *that* would be fantastic. I'd like to know if you can mix receipts from both sets for reasons I mentioned earlier. I'm pretty sure that is the case, but it would be nice to know definitively.
leipzisch
View Profile
Special user
928 Posts

Profile of leipzisch
Okay, next one.

Who do we think the reviewer Harry might be (Tim Trono's Branded)?

https://www.vanishingincmagic.com/close-up-magic/branded/

I could take a pretty good guess.

Makes me wonder if other creators are doing this. I hope not, but I'm hardly naive.
DJG
View Profile
Inner circle
1296 Posts

Profile of DJG
Quote:
if you can mix receipts from both sets for reasons I mentioned earlier. I'm pretty sure that is the case, but it would be nice to know definitively.

I hope there is a template, if not maybe refills? I can't see why you wouldn't be able to mix and match based on their counterpart. Guess I'll find out when we all do. Smile
JDobbs
View Profile
New user
69 Posts

Profile of JDobbs
Quote:
On Feb 4, 2023, DJG wrote:
Quote:
if you can mix receipts from both sets for reasons I mentioned earlier. I'm pretty sure that is the case, but it would be nice to know definitively.

I hope there is a template, if not maybe refills? I can't see why you wouldn't be able to mix and match based on their counterpart. Guess I'll find out when we all do. Smile

That would be awesome, I’m sure once we learn what is the Method used, theoretically we can produce our own. I found a site that allows for printing of our own receipts. Not sure how customizable it it, but I’m sure someone good in word can reproduce this easily.
Jared
View Profile
Inner circle
Rhode Island, USA
1579 Posts

Profile of Jared
Quote:
On Feb 4, 2023, videoman wrote:
The problem I have with any effects involving receipts is that as a casual performer who performs almost exclusively to family, friends, colleagues, etc. I just never feel like I can get away with using them. The stores are wrong, or the dates are wrong, or the items listed are wrong, or the biggest culprit is usually the locations. People who know me will know I wasn't shopping in Costco in NYC 2 weeks ago. Any stories I concoct to cover these discrepancies never seem to ring true to me. So I tend to avoid them in the first place or make my own when it is possible.

Now you may say people won't notice but I believe they very likely will. If you hand me or anyone I know a receipt from Costco the first thing people in my circle will be curious about is what store location you frequent (people are very passionate about which Costco they feel is best but maybe that's a regional thing) and then what do you usually buy that I may buy also. I've had lengthy conversations with many people about this very thing, and it's not limited to just Costco. So anything that looks "funny" about the receipt will very likely be noticed IMO. It's strange how many different things we are told on here that no one will notice, yet in the same breath (and often by the same people) we are told that are our audiences are not stupid, we don't give them enough credit, etc.

So I'm always hesitant to purchase any effects using receipts because even when they are touted as being super realistic they are just never quite realistic enough to past muster with my crowd. Now I haven't seen these particular receipts so I will not rule them out but I'm not counting on loving them. But I'm not a big fan of this style of effect and method anyway so I'm not that worried about it.

My thoughts exactly. These receipts wouldn't be believable in my friends/acquaintances circle. This effect is also not suitable for professional work for strangers either. I cannot imagine myself carrying around a pocketful of receipts at a paid strolling gig. This is truly an EDC as Craig intended it to be and I'm sure that it's REALLY good too!! Maybe eventually he'll release a kit option to print your own. I'd buy it in a nano second Smile

As for the Weber and Trono situation... I am shocked by their behavior. I've always held both in high regard. This is truly a sad day for the magic community. But these bullying incidents need to stop. You cannot tell me that they needed the money or prestige that badly. Gee whiz. What is wrong with people?
Craig Petty
View Profile
V.I.P.
UK
2325 Posts

Profile of Craig Petty
Hey guys I have just come off stage

I have a lot to say about this but I’m working all weekend

I just wanted to say the receipts come with the files to make your own
Which you can use as you see fit. Also Pete Turner talks about how to go to a shop and make the receipts up from a real shop if you are travelling and you want to customise it on the fly

Hope that’s helps
Jared
View Profile
Inner circle
Rhode Island, USA
1579 Posts

Profile of Jared
"I just wanted to say the receipts come with the files to make your own."

Thanks for making my day, Craig! ...Gonna purchase now Smile
Sudo Nimh
View Profile
Inner circle
1879 Posts

Profile of Sudo Nimh
Quote:
On Feb 4, 2023, Craig Petty wrote: I just wanted to say the receipts come with the files to make your own
Which you can use as you see fit. Also Pete Turner talks about how to go to a shop and make the receipts up from a real shop if you are travelling and you want to customise it on the fly

Hope that’s helps

That's great to hear! I'll be picking this up at some point.
JDobbs
View Profile
New user
69 Posts

Profile of JDobbs
Quote:
On Feb 4, 2023, Craig Petty wrote:
Hey guys I have just come off stage

I have a lot to say about this but I’m working all weekend

I just wanted to say the receipts come with the files to make your own

Hope that’s helps

Even better!
McDuff
View Profile
New user
Royal Oak, MI
14 Posts

Profile of McDuff
Quote:
On Feb 4, 2023, Elmer 84 wrote:
Let's be careful with the baiting here please. None us know the mental health status of Weber. He is likely feeling really low right now and we are supposed to be a supportive community, right? He knows he has done wrong so let's now show some compassion and support the healing that needs to happen for everyone involved.

I agree Elmer - let's unwind the rhetoric a bit here and let's be glad that the drama has come to an end (hopefully)!
Nathan Alexander
View Profile
Inner circle
2023 Posts

Profile of Nathan Alexander
Let’s not dwell. Let’s talk about the effect. Craig did what he felt he needed to do with making public his thoughts and concerns for record.

The parties alleged in the allegations have the right to address it or not.

But either way none of us knows the hearts of another. I think Craig is right in airing out the situation he feels he was put in. And for the most part I commend the manner in which he did.

But the extraneous details and any gossip are not my business. It’s easy to judge, it’s easy to assume. Many of us may even have the right to do so.

But I feel it’s done, don’t you? I’m not grabbing a pitchfork because it’s not me that has been grieved.

Peace doesn’t mean allowing the intolerable. But it does mean moving on while staying above reproach. Then when required, you can slap down offenders quickly and with discretion.

But here, let’s just discuss the effect.

So I like it. We’ll see if I love it or not. I’m excited about it. I want to make it work for me which requires a little thought when you consider any inconsistencies in location, reasoning for having them on you, etc. But there’s always a way. It’s okay to do a trick because you have sponge balls, but receipts are meant to serve a purpose, so covering why you have them still and are carrying them, and why they may be from another state, well that’s part of the fun for me to figure out.

I’m quirky. I may print my own so I can scribble on them like I took a quick note, which I do a lot of. I also keep receipts because I scan them into my Amazon shopper app as I make ten bucks a month that way (also true at a dollar a receipt). So at any one time I’ll have a receipt or 3 because I shoved it in there so I can scan in car or later.

My dad passed away a year ago. I pretty much got nothing from his small belongings because his 4th wife threw it all (by the way, including incredibly valuable books and letters from Vernon and skinner as they all knew each other well). Maybe I kept receipts from when I visited him in CA when I made notes, then when he died I decided to not throw them. Whatever.

But this has potential. It already works very well for Michael Peter and Craig, but I’ll need to see how it fits me.
dr.nick
View Profile
New user
30 Posts

Profile of dr.nick
Not to stir the pot, but,
First off, a huge fist bump to Craig Petty. Not only has he redeemed himself from a previous misstep by giving in so many ways to the magic community but also being willing to call out a massive wrong in the magic community that appears to have been going on for sometime in the background. Most of us our hobbyists, myself included, and I feel that despite Craig’s error in the past, he has way more than made up for it.

It seems apparent to me that Michael Weber, who until now I have held in high esteem, is not worthy and in fact does not deserve my support despite my purchasing many effects through Pscience. I feel compelled to mention that most of these purchases were bought on the advertising hyperbole and only one has exceeded my expectations let alone met them. And now we can acknowledge that Mr. Weber ( with one “b”) has apparently been exposed, and Mr. Petty has been vindicated. What a shame it has come to this. What if all of this could have been handled in a gentleman like manner. Mr. Petty could release his product with proper crediting and Mr. Weber could add to the cannon, eventually, with his improvement, supposedly at a later date. But instead, I no longer will purchase a Weber or Trono product…EVER.

How ironic that Mr. Petty was called out in the past and now the shoe is firmly on the foot of Mr. Weber, not only for being deceitful but then trying to deny his deceit and being caught red handed and red faced. It would seem appropriate that his standing in the magic/mentalist community warrants reevaluation. I’m not disparaging his contributions in the past but in light of these revelations I believe we all should reconsider going forward.

Also, a huge thank you to Sudo who was willing to expose the truth and was willing to accept the consequences of his exposure. He deserves our well wishes and full support. Regardless of the desirability of Craig’s current project, I will purchase it as a show of support.

As a sad side note, I brought one of my son’s to Magifest and he is not into magic. We both had a wonderful time and his main impression was how wonderful and nice everyone was. I used to think so too, I guess our world is not so different as the world at large. I believe we have something special to offer the world and despite our hiccups, this too shall pass.
videoman
View Profile
Inner circle
6748 Posts

Profile of videoman
Quote:
On Feb 4, 2023, dr.nick wrote:

How ironic that Mr. Petty was called out in the past and now the shoe is firmly on the foot of Mr. Weber, not only for being deceitful but then trying to deny his deceit and being caught red handed and red faced.

Even more ironic if it’s true as Craig believes it to be that the Weber/Trono tag team also played a major role in fanning the flames and greatly amplifying the backlash against Craig during the previous fiasco.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » EDCeipt by Craig Petty - BRAND NEW » » TOPIC IS LOCKED (2340 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3..13~14~15~16~17..27..36..45..54..63~64~65 [Next]
X
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.05 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL