The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » EDCeipt by Craig Petty - BRAND NEW » » TOPIC IS LOCKED (2340 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3..7..11..15..19~20~21~22~23..32..40..48..56..63~64~65 [Next]
Sudo Nimh
View Profile
Inner circle
1879 Posts

Profile of Sudo Nimh
Quote:
On Feb 6, 2023, Wravyn wrote:
Is sharing it in a private, members only group considered published?

In my opinion, no. But that's because I have always viewed things from an academic perspective.

It's impossible to do proper research or have knowledge of something that is not publicly available.
Eric Gretencord
View Profile
Regular user
Houston, TX
170 Posts

Profile of Eric Gretencord
Quote:
On Feb 5, 2023, Wravyn wrote:
I agree with you. If it is published, they own the rights.
published
adjective
(of a book, journal, piece of music, etc.) prepared and issued for public sale or readership.
"the collection includes the complete published works of Benjamin Britten"
(of information) printed or made available online so as to be generally known.

Real Secrets was offered for public sale, so yes.
He who wonders discovers that this in itself is wonder.
-M. C. Escher
leipzisch
View Profile
Special user
928 Posts

Profile of leipzisch
Quote:
On Feb 6, 2023, Sudo Nimh wrote:
Quote:
On Feb 6, 2023, dirtyfoucault wrote:
Brent Braun saying he won't carry EDCeipt at Bricks and Mortar until 3 criteria met...

"People are asking me about my take on Craig Petty's EDCeipt.

There has been more than enough posted about this other places if you need to get up to speed. I don’t see a reason we need to rehash any of that here as it’s not the intent of this group.

That being said I believe strongly that when a creator creates and publishes a method they own the rights to that method and that anyone using it in a product should at the very minimum credit the original creator and have added something original to the basic effect.

Simply adding 1 hour or even 6 hours of content doesn’t allow you to use a method that doesn’t belong to you.

I have yet to hear Craig’s say that his method is different. He has instead said that he didn’t know about the original release and that he has added more content to the this project.

I also haven’t seen the tutorial so I don’t feel like I can make an informed decision at this time. So I have decided we will not be selling this until…

1. It’s clear that Craig has credited Weber.
2. Craig makes it clear what makes his method/effect different from what Weber released and owns the rights to.
3. We hear that Craig and Weber have come to an agreement about how to move forward.

I understand some people here may disagree with my position. If that is the case feel free to order this from another magic vendor no judgement here.

I just don’t have interest in supporting a product when the method/effect belongs to someone else."

Everyone is entitled to their opinion; it makes me think no less of Brent Braun. He's doing what he believes in his heart to be right. Just like I did what I did because I believed (and still believe) with all my heart that it was the right thing to do. The thing is, I doubt there will ever be an agreement between Craig and Michael. If Michael wanted an agreement, he would have tried having a proper discussion with Craig - without threats, and without attacking him under a false identity which he has used at the Café for nearly 20 years to promote himself with false endorsements. That sort of underhanded tactic just goes far too far and speaks to the lengths he will go to.

This whole thing could have been settled easily. For example, when I just spoke with Peter I assured him he would get proper credits in Eclipse and even offered him a cut from sales. He graciously told me he didn't want my money and to proceed with his blessing. That simple.

Craig could have offered him a percentage of the sales along with crediting. Michael makes money freely off a project he didn't even have to invest a dime in and still gets credited. The magic world gets a great new item. Everyone wins. But rather than negotiate with Craig, veiled threats were made and underhanded tactics used.

I recall some pages ago the accusation made of Treber that they use a specific tactic (falsely claiming they are about to release an updated version of their product in the 'coming weeks'), to prevent creators from releasing product.

If that is the case, Treber will never seek an accommodation with Petty (or anyone else they decide to bully, for that matter).
Sudo Nimh
View Profile
Inner circle
1879 Posts

Profile of Sudo Nimh
Where was Real Secrets sold publicly and when? This is an honest question as I don't know the answer. Did you have to sign up through psience to get it?
brandonp
View Profile
New user
5 Posts

Profile of brandonp
Quote:
Brent Braun saying he won't carry EDCeipt at Bricks and Mortar until 3 criteria met...

There has been more than enough posted about this other places if you need to get up to speed. I don't see a reason we need to rehash any of that here as it's not the intent of this group.

That being said I believe strongly that when a creator creates and publishes a method they own the rights to that method and that anyone using it in a product should at the very minimum credit the original creator and have added something original to the basic effect.

Simply adding 1 hour or even 6 hours of content doesn't allow you to use a method that doesn't belong to you.

I have yet to hear Craig's say that his method is different. He has instead said that he didn't know about the original release and that he has added more content to the this project.

I also haven't seen the tutorial so I don't feel like I can make an informed decision at this time. So I have decided we will not be selling this until...

1. It's clear that Craig has credited Weber.
2. Craig makes it clear what makes his method/effect different from what Weber released and owns the rights to.
3. We hear that Craig and Weber have come to an agreement about how to move forward.

I understand some people here may disagree with my position. If that is the case feel free to order this from another magic vendor no judgement here.

I just don't have interest in supporting a product when the method/effect belongs to someone else."

I'm not sure that Brent understand's the meaning of the word "method" lol!

Using age calculator with the numbers turned to words is older than the hills and certainly not Weber's method. Not the first time Brent has smack talked Craig though. And no prizes for guessing who's a good friend of Weber. At least Brent put his face to it.
da5id
View Profile
Loyal user
Dublin, Ireland
268 Posts

Profile of da5id
Quote:

There has been more than enough posted about this other places if you need to get up to speed. I don’t see a reason we need to rehash any of that here as it’s not the intent of this group.

Simply adding 1 hour or even 6 hours of content doesn’t allow you to use a method that doesn’t belong to you.

I have yet to hear Craig’s say that his method is different. He has instead said that he didn’t know about the original release and that he has added more content to the this project.

I also haven’t seen the tutorial so I don’t feel like I can make an informed decision at this time. So I have decided we will not be selling this until…

1. It’s clear that Craig has credited Weber.

I just don’t have interest in supporting a product when the method/effect belongs to someone else."

It doesn’t belong to someone else. It wasn’t published. Craig did all the due diligence that one would expect. It’s crazy you would defend someone who been defrauding, deceiving, scammimg, and bullying this entire community for decades.
da5id
View Profile
Loyal user
Dublin, Ireland
268 Posts

Profile of da5id
Quote:
On Feb 6, 2023, Eric Gretencord wrote:
Quote:
published
adjective
(of a book, journal, piece of music, etc.) prepared and issued for public sale or readership.

Show us the ad copy where it was advertised for sale.
sileeni
View Profile
Veteran user
UK.
361 Posts

Profile of sileeni
Quote:
Quote:
published
adjective

Actually, this is not true.

You had to apply to become a member and many, if not most, were turned away.

Even Tom Stone had his application rejected. https://tinyurl.com/tomgenii
Eric Gretencord
View Profile
Regular user
Houston, TX
170 Posts

Quote:
On Feb 5, 2023, Sudo Nimh wrote:
Where was Real Secrets sold publicly and when? This is an honest question as I don't know the answer. Did you have to sign up through psience to get it?

https://themagiccafe.com/forums/viewtopi......orum=218
-M. C. Escher
Sudo Nimh
View Profile
Inner circle
1879 Posts

Profile of Sudo Nimh
Quote:
On Feb 6, 2023, sileeni wrote:
Quote:
Quote:
published
adjective

Actually, this is not true.

You had to apply to become a member and many, if not most, were turned away.

I wasn't even a member; any Weber items I possess were gifted to me by Michael himself. He even sent me a generous donation in support of my periodical. That's why it really pains me that I had to come forward on this thread. He has never received a single cent from me and was only kind to me. It hurts because it feels like I betrayed him. It was one of the hardest decisions I've had to make in a very long time.
DJG
View Profile
Inner circle
1296 Posts

Profile of DJG
Doesn't matter if Weber published first, second, or never. His threats would only be drawing a line in the sand and hope you don't cross it. Petty has no obligation to credit anyone... legally. Morally? That's for each person to decide for themselves. Copyright does not protect ideas or concepts... only words.
sileeni
View Profile
Veteran user
UK.
361 Posts

Profile of sileeni
This is taken from Real Secrets site, on the subscription page. Had to use the Way Back Machine to uncover it.

https://web.archive.org/web/201208260648......ship-usa

"You agree that your membership may be canceled for any reason by Real Secrets and any existing prorated subscription will be reimbursed if you are not in violation of Terms and Conditions.

If any Terms and Conditions are violated you hereby understand that your membership will be immediately terminated and you will NOT be eligible for reimbursement on any existing time left in your subscription period."

So even if you DID sign up to become a member ($180) and you also didn't (like many) get your application rejected, at any moment your membership could be cancelled if Weber deemed you'd violated their terms, then you would not get the items paid for and owed for the remainder of the membership.

Yeah, super public.
Sudo Nimh
View Profile
Inner circle
1879 Posts

Profile of Sudo Nimh
Does anyone remember the sensation that was created when Timothy Wenk's "Misled" hit the market? It was sensational. The thing is, if someone's material really is *that* stellar wouldn't it make more sense for it to be on the open market just like Misled was? Where are the superstars who were borne from this exclusive material?!
da5id
View Profile
Loyal user
Dublin, Ireland
268 Posts

Profile of da5id
Quote:
This is taken from Real Secrets site, on the subscription page. Had to use the Way Back Machine to uncover it.

https://web.archive.org/web/201208260648......ship-usa

"You agree that your membership may be canceled for any reason by Real Secrets and any existing prorated subscription will be reimbursed if you are not in violation of Terms and Conditions.

If any Terms and Conditions are violated you hereby understand that your membership will be immediately terminated and you will NOT be eligible for reimbursement on any existing time left in your subscription period."

So even if you DID sign up to become a member ($180) and you also didn't (like many) get your application rejected, at any moment your membership could be cancelled if Weber deemed you'd violated their terms, then you would not get the items paid for and owed for the remainder of the membership.

Yeah, super public.

Exactly. And the effects are not in the ad copy so it’s too much to expect a creator to know about it. For the purpose of research and crediting, this was not published in a way that was useful.
TStone
View Profile
V.I.P.
Stockholm, Sweden
774 Posts

Profile of TStone
Quote:

I had forgotten that!
Well, not exactly rejected. For some reason, the payment had to be done in a certain way, which wasn't clearly described so I payed with a normal Paypal payment.... which was quickly refunded without any explanation. But it seems the reason was more due to technical matters than a rejection of me as a person. In any case, it wasn't easy to become a subscriber.
Later on, I got a complimentary subscription from someone, and I still don't know from whom. Maybe from Michael, but he said he knew nothing about it when I asked. Maybe from Tim.
The project contained some quite intriguing items, but it was complicated to keep track of it. For example, I don't have any of the download material. Some was never downloaded in time, and some seems to have been saved on a harddrive that later died.
Eric Gretencord
View Profile
Regular user
Houston, TX
170 Posts

I merely answered the question whether it was was published based on the definition posted by Wravyn.

What about this question?

Quote:
On Feb 3, 2023, Eric Gretencord wrote:
If you have shown this to the powerhouses in the industry yet have a relationship with a giant in the industry, how can you claim due diligence?
-M. C. Escher
mike donoghue
View Profile
Inner circle
1299 Posts

Profile of mike donoghue
I have a question .
Does anyone have permission to use this method from the people who put it out as a prize inside the Christmas Crackers I got in England as a 9 yr old kid ?
I am now nearly 63 yrs old
This is undoubtedly a great release from Craig & he has built on a very old principle & the lad is a creative powerhouse & he knows his stuff.
Found him to be a great lad & very friendly.
Hopefully people will now leave him alone & give him the praise he deserves.
He develops effects ( puts considerable work , time & money into them ) & we end up looking good performing them . End of .
Personally from me Craig ‘well done with another hit which will make us workers look good . NO , LOOK GREAT
teenagelabotomy42
View Profile
New user
95 Posts

Profile of teenagelabotomy42
Quote:
On Feb 6, 2023, mike donoghue wrote:
I have a question .
Does anyone have permission to use this method from the people who put it out as a prize inside the Christmas Crackers I got in England as a 9 yr old kid ?
I am now nearly 63 yrs old
This is undoubtedly a great release from Craig & he has built on a very old principle & the lad is a creative powerhouse & he knows his stuff.
Found him to be a great lad & very friendly.
Hopefully people will now leave him alone & give him the praise he deserves.
He develops effects ( puts considerable work , time & money into them ) & we end up looking good performing them . End of .
Personally from me Craig ‘well done with another hit which will make us workers look good . NO , LOOK GREAT

I'm sure they're credited because they came first...
TStone
View Profile
V.I.P.
Stockholm, Sweden
774 Posts

Profile of TStone
Quote:
On Feb 6, 2023, DJG wrote:
Doesn't matter if Weber published first, second, or never. His threats would only be drawing a line in the sand and hope you don't cross it. Petty has no obligation to credit anyone... legally. Morally? That's for each person to decide for themselves. Copyright does not protect ideas or concepts... only words.

In general terms, without going into the details of this particular conflict, nope, that is not accurate. None of the involved believe that. Copyright cover all fixed artistic expressions that surpass a certain threshold of originality. Weber's starting point was valid, is still valid, even though choices and actions that followed can be questioned. Craig says so himself in his video. Had there been different choices and actions, I have no doubt that there would have been a cordial outcome that all involved had been equally happy/dissatisfied with.
sileeni
View Profile
Veteran user
UK.
361 Posts

Profile of sileeni
Quote:
I merely answered the question whether it was was published based on the definition posted by Wravyn.

What about this question?

Quote:
On Feb 3, 2023, Eric Gretencord wrote:
If you have shown this to the powerhouses in the industry yet have a relationship with a giant in the industry, how can you claim due diligence?

I know. And if this topic was black and white, then a mere yes or no would have been sufficient. But, this topic is far from it. Since we're referring back to Wravyn's points:

"1.
(of information) printed or made available online so as to be generally known."

"Generally" is the key word here. So, by this very specific definition, then the answer can only be 'No.'. Also, if you were looking for a meal recipe, you'd generally search publicly published books for contents descriptions to give information as to what recipes are within the books. But in this case, the contents are all the ideas were specifically kept private. In this case, the method was hidden within a subscription service that could not be joined by just anyone, within an issue of said subscription where the contents and/or index were to never be spoken about is. To consider that a public publishing is unreasonable.

As to your other question; I'd imagine that showing it to a few big players in the game does not mean that it was shown to all big players. No one is all knowing though. And it'd be absurd to expect anyone to show their work every single powerhouse in the game. Also, you don't want to share your ideas with too many people too, either.

My question back to you is; what would you deem as sufficient due diligence?
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » EDCeipt by Craig Petty - BRAND NEW » » TOPIC IS LOCKED (2340 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3..7..11..15..19~20~21~22~23..32..40..48..56..63~64~65 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.07 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL