The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workers » » Nonsense ace assembly (1 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

1tepa1
View Profile
Inner circle
1282 Posts

Profile of 1tepa1
Here is a video of an ace assembly I put together today. Not polished or smooth by any means and not sure that the trick is even any good but it was an interesting thing to create. Sorry for the bad video quality, I need a better camera.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4v1EqEyP......l=1tepa1
martydoesmagic
View Profile
Inner circle
Essex, UK
1669 Posts

Profile of martydoesmagic
Looks pretty good to me; the ending was fun. The Ace Assembly isn't my favourite plot, though. It drags a bit after the third Ace.

Marty
Ray J
View Profile
Inner circle
St. Louis, MO
1503 Posts

Profile of Ray J
Quote:
On Feb 24, 2023, martyjacobs wrote:
Looks pretty good to me; the ending was fun. The Ace Assembly isn't my favourite plot, though. It drags a bit after the third Ace.

Marty

That's a good argument for why the "backfire" assemblies are interesting. Ala Brother John Hamman, "you lead them down the garden path and then turn the hose on 'em."

Nothing is more shocking than the feeling of "knowing" something will happen only to find not only that it doesn't, but that you are hopeless to reconstruct.
It's never crowded on the extra mile....
1tepa1
View Profile
Inner circle
1282 Posts

Profile of 1tepa1
Quote:

Marty

Normally the ace assembly ends on the third ace since the three aces travel to join the "leader ace". But in this case the effect does kind of drag a bit since there are four aces that travel, but maybe that is offset by the surprise that happens on the fourth ace. Ace assemblies are not my favorite plot either, but for a different reason. There are two reasons actually, one is that if the spectators doubt that the aces are actually in their packets, the effect loses its steam. Like if the aces are face down and you vanish the first one, the second one, then before the third one the spectators might think were the aces ever actually in the packets to begin with since they were never shown after the three cards were put on top of them.

There are some assemblies where you do show the aces are there, most often one of the aces is shown. But this in turn creates the second thing I don't like in an ace assembly. That card has to then be moved to the leader packet at a moment that is hard to misdirect from. The spectators are watching for the ace to vanish, they know what is going to happen, so this is in my opinion the riskiest time to actually attempt to remove it. This gets into the other plot, turning the plot around and using that "flaw" to do something else, having the aces go back to that packet instead for example instead of that ace going to the leader packet. This was the inspiration for creating this routine for me, the backfire idea. But I have not seen any backfire assembly that I would personally be confident in performing because there are issues that I don't like with all of them that I have seen. This is a personal issue, I am sure other people can make them work. But for me there is no good way for making the aces "backfire", be that the aces going back to their original packets or the aces going into the last packet with the last ace. All methods I have seen rely on palming or some other kind of bit fishy handling to physically move the aces back. Or they require you to suddenly pick up the deck and turn the "leader packet" on top of the deck, then deal them down from the deck followed by taking the packet with the last ace and then turning it over on top of the deck and dealing the cards down.
fonda57
View Profile
Inner circle
chicago
3080 Posts

Profile of fonda57
I would tighten up that braue reversal display at the begining, or whatever that was. I thought the routine was fun.
MeetMagicMike
View Profile
Inner circle
Gainesville Fl
3504 Posts

Profile of MeetMagicMike
Is there a reason for the unconventional way you show no aces in each packet? I don't know if you realize it but on the first three packets, you say "No Ace" five times as you show apparently four cards.

Also, at the end, you say all the aces rise to the top and then you say they change into the aces. If they rise to the top they don't need to change into aces.
Magic Mike

MeetMagicMike.com

I took the Pledge
1tepa1
View Profile
Inner circle
1282 Posts

Profile of 1tepa1
Quote:
On Feb 25, 2023, fonda57 wrote:
I would tighten up that braue reversal display at the begining, or whatever that was. I thought the routine was fun.

Haha yeah I don't know whatever that was, its not the the best looking sleight even if done more smoothly, there are probably better options to replace it.
fonda57
View Profile
Inner circle
chicago
3080 Posts

Profile of fonda57
Marlo's Bluff Ace Assembly will fix that.
1tepa1
View Profile
Inner circle
1282 Posts

Profile of 1tepa1
Quote:
On Feb 25, 2023, MeetMagicMike wrote:
Is there a reason for the unconventional way you show no aces in each packet? I don't know if you realize it but on the first three packets, you say "No Ace" five times as you show apparently four cards.

Also, at the end, you say all the aces rise to the top and then you say they change into the aces. If they rise to the top they don't need to change into aces.

There is a reason for the display, I understand that I say it five times but only show 4 cards. The first reason is that it draws attention away from a sleight that happens before it, the second reason is that it creates a small suspicion that maybe the aces are still in their packets since the trick has an ending that if you think that, the aces coming to the top is a surprise.

The reason for saying the cards rise to the top and change into the aces is because in order for the aces to rise to the top they would need to be in the middle to begin with. But they are not, so they can not rise to the top since at the end the aces are in none of the packets, they have vanished from the four packets, and they have vanished from the packet where they were supposed to go in. So this goes into the sucker element of the trick, when the four "non aces" are put on top of each pile, the spectator is supposed to think that these four cards could be the four aces, or that the four aces are in the packets. Since they know the aces must be somewhere even though they apparently vanished. So when those four cards are put one on top of each pile and the piles stacked on top of each other, the spectator thinks the aces are in the center. Of course I can not admit this, since I just said and showed the aces were not in any of the packets. So I need to give a non sensical explanation for why the aces now come to the top. And this explanation reinforces the notion they are entertaining, that the aces were really hidden in the packets or they were really the cards I put on top of each packet, but then the next phase where they come to the top uses this misconception and subverts it by the aces coming to the top.
1tepa1
View Profile
Inner circle
1282 Posts

Profile of 1tepa1
Quote:
On Feb 25, 2023, fonda57 wrote:
Marlo's Bluff Ace Assembly will fix that.

I am not sure how that would work here. One of the cards on the table is a double. Not sure how to get a double down using the bluff principle.
balbec
View Profile
New user
few
62 Posts

Profile of balbec
Quote:
On Feb 24, 2023, 1tepa1 wrote:
Quote:

Marty

Normally the ace assembly ends on the third ace since the three aces travel to join the "leader ace". But in this case the effect does kind of drag a bit since there are four aces that travel, but maybe that is offset by the surprise that happens on the fourth ace. Ace assemblies are not my favorite plot either, but for a different reason. There are two reasons actually, one is that if the spectators doubt that the aces are actually in their packets, the effect loses its steam. Like if the aces are face down and you vanish the first one, the second one, then before the third one the spectators might think were the aces ever actually in the packets to begin with since they were never shown after the three cards were put on top of them.

There are some assemblies where you do show the aces are there, most often one of the aces is shown. But this in turn creates the second thing I don't like in an ace assembly. That card has to then be moved to the leader packet at a moment that is hard to misdirect from. The spectators are watching for the ace to vanish, they know what is going to happen, so this is in my opinion the riskiest time to actually attempt to remove it. This gets into the other plot, turning the plot around and using that "flaw" to do something else, having the aces go back to that packet instead for example instead of that ace going to the leader packet. This was the inspiration for creating this routine for me, the backfire idea. But I have not seen any backfire assembly that I would personally be confident in performing because there are issues that I don't like with all of them that I have seen. This is a personal issue, I am sure other people can make them work. But for me there is no good way for making the aces "backfire", be that the aces going back to their original packets or the aces going into the last packet with the last ace. All methods I have seen rely on palming or some other kind of bit fishy handling to physically move the aces back. Or they require you to suddenly pick up the deck and turn the "leader packet" on top of the deck, then deal them down from the deck followed by taking the packet with the last ace and then turning it over on top of the deck and dealing the cards down.

Jazz Aces from Kane / Ortiz may fix most of it. I tend to agree that the plot is till a bit weak, though. Why is it so interesting to see Aces coming together, after all ? I did not find a good answer yet.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workers » » Nonsense ace assembly (1 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.04 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL