The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Smooth as silk » » Silk to egg (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
AmazingEARL
View Profile
Veteran user
Tennessee, USA
350 Posts

Profile of AmazingEARL
Years ago (back when a "web search" still involved live arachnids), the only egg I could find at my local shop was a truly pathetic imitation...too small, too round and about half transparent. Wouldn't have fooled a blind man on a cloudy day.

So, I created my own egg and have ever since. I simply took a Grade A Large egg, made a seamless silicone mold and hollow-cast the thing out of white, almost indestructable, polyurethane plastic.

Pure white, light-weight and rugged, the things even had the surface texture of a real egg! I made about a dozen of them and saved the molds to make more if I needed to, just in case. But so far, I'm still using the first one.

Personally, I'd be concerned about a porcelain or real (albeit reinforced) eggshell. I've seen the baggage handlers at the airport. Besides, I have a tendency to bang the thing on the table during performance to prove that it's fake.

IMHO, plastic is the only way to go. Smile
Smoky Mountain Magic
http://www.SmokyMtMagic.com
"We build AMAZING things"
fccfp
View Profile
Special user
NJ
563 Posts

Profile of fccfp
I have seen some eggs advertised with two silks. Why the 2nd one/ After you expose the fake egg don't you pull out the silk and use it w/ the real egg

Preferance's?: TT or Dye t*b* or what?

THnx,
B
A.K.A. Jay The Magician
www.jaythemagician.com
JAlenS
View Profile
Inner circle
Utah
1528 Posts

Profile of JAlenS
The Viking egg comes with two silks so you can do the effect the old way. I only do it with black silks for a psychic surgery expose of sorts and it works very well.
fccfp
View Profile
Special user
NJ
563 Posts

Profile of fccfp
JALens,
What's the old way you are refering to?

Thnx,
Bruce
A.K.A. Jay The Magician
www.jaythemagician.com
drhackenbush
View Profile
Special user
686 Posts

Profile of drhackenbush
Finally performed this for someone other than myself - it went over really well with the Viking egg. I used the classic sucker routine, but without the sticker, with the 2 red silks and the "explanation". Learned the handling from watching the Bobo DVD where he performs it during a grade-school show. Stodare Rocks!
DoctorAmazo
View Profile
Special user
Florida
643 Posts

Profile of DoctorAmazo
OK, I scurried down to Cracker Barrel on my lunch hour and scored two of their ceramic eggs. They look and feel just like the real thing.

So, how to I get the holes in them?

Also, on the Viking: I was looking at the $30 set and quickly realized most of that expense is the silks. The egg, by itself, is only $8...and you can buy bigger diagonal silks separately. The cost will be less than $30.

If my Cracker Barrel $1 dollar eggs don't work out, that's the route I'm taking...
maps
View Profile
Inner circle
1124 Posts

Profile of maps
Anyone knows if there's a good routine or a video that I get find to learn from?
Maps
the heart is where the magic begins
Visit my website
[www.mascotsandpuppets.com]
drhackenbush
View Profile
Special user
686 Posts

Profile of drhackenbush
Tarbell 1 I believe has several fantastic silk to egg routines. Also, Pete Biro has offered some great suggestions in other threads that are worth looking up. Video-wise, I've had success through watching Bobo do a performance-only routine on his DVD, Vol. 23 of the Greater Magic series.

In a related note, I'd like to work the silk to egg into a Kling Klang routine - Just got the requisite tumbler and am using one of the the Kling Klang routines from Rice's Encyc. of Silk Magic (fan-TAS-tic series, by the way...) and am trying to figure out how to segue from Kling Klang into Silk to Egg. I'm thinking of just doing KK and then "explaining" how the silk disappeared and became an egg by just going into S2E. So it's more of one then the other with the connection being there's a silk and there's an egg in each trick.
maps
View Profile
Inner circle
1124 Posts

Profile of maps
Thanks folksingsmagic.I know David Williamson had a funny routine but can't seems to remember where I saw it. I understand that Michael Ammar has a silk to egg routine. Anyone who've seen it wanna comment?
Maps
the heart is where the magic begins
Visit my website
[www.mascotsandpuppets.com]
Michael J. Douglas
View Profile
Inner circle
WV, USA
1645 Posts

Profile of Michael J. Douglas
Ammar's routine is pretty much like the others. However, his handling has a couple "convincers" such as, after switching for the real egg, you're still able to push your finger thru the "hole" in the side. He also pulls the silk out of his forehead to conclude.
Michael J.
�Believe then, if you please, that I can do strange things.� --from Shakespeare�s �As You Like It�
roham92
View Profile
Regular user
173 Posts

Profile of roham92
I got one for 10 dollars a couple weeks ago and I do a routine with it were I change the silk to the egg but rather than cracking the egg , I vanish it with the go go vanisher but I wanna crack it and than vanish it but I won't be able to do that obviously because the egg is already cracked, anyone have any ideas about this or how I can add to this routine?
Julie
View Profile
Inner circle
3943 Posts

Profile of Julie
To vanish the cracked egg--you might try using the set-up for the vanishing milk in newspaper. There was also an old trick called "Egg in Paper Plus". I'm not sure, but I think this last was by Ken Allen.

Perhaps someone will have a more specific reference...

July
drhackenbush
View Profile
Special user
686 Posts

Profile of drhackenbush
Bobo vanishes the his cracked egg in a newspaper in his school show on the Bobo DVD, just the white and yolk, not the shell, by pouring the egg out of the cup into the paper. Abbott's still has "Egg And Paper" in its latest catalog and it's not very costly so I second Julie's thought on that one.
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22797 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
I have been doing the silk to egg and egg in paper plus for 40 years. This is my signature piece in my act.
Bob Sanders
View Profile
1945 - 2024
Magic Valley Ranch, Clanton, Alabama
20504 Posts

Profile of Bob Sanders
Bill,

I never dreamed you were that old! Will I see you at the Cavalcade of Magic in March? Lucy and I will be there. (Eggs, silks, doves and all)

Bob Sanders
Magic By Sander
Bob Sanders

Magic By Sander / The Amazed Wiz

AmazedWiz@Yahoo.com
mrmetropolis
View Profile
Regular user
who has only made
155 Posts

Profile of mrmetropolis
So... what is the difference between Ken Allen's "Egg in paper plus" and Abbott's "Egg and paper" if you don't mind me asking? Aside from price. Is a gimmick costing so cheap even durable? I also doubt the egg in paper plus gimmick is still useable, unless it is disposable and made before each performance. PM me please if you can... anyone.

Posted: May 20, 2013 3:46pm
Or... if the difference is listed in a book, like encyclopedia of egg magic of which I'm long overdue purchasing please advise. Thanks.
"For those who believe, no explanation is necessary, for those who do not, none will suffice".-Joseph Dunninger http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K4wL5fX3xGQ
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22797 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
PM sent!
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Smooth as silk » » Silk to egg (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL