The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Trick coin trickery » » Coin in Bottle: pro tips? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

karnak
View Profile
Special user
Connecticut
747 Posts

Profile of karnak
For the standard folding half dollar into bottle effect, I’m wondering what the best type of bottle to use might be.

A Coke bottle is very traditional, and the faintly green ones with the vaguely ribbed/fluted surface might help slightly obscure the gaff coin while inside the bottle, preventing a too-clear look at it. But is this really an advantage? Or does it not really matter much in practice?

In terms of the mechanics of smooth handling, does the usual 12 oz full-size Coke bottle have any advantages (or disadvantages) compared to using the smaller 8 oz size?

Or using a 12 oz Corona beer bottle vs the smaller 7 oz Coronita botthe?

Sticking to beer bottles, are there any pros & cons relating to using the common straight-necked “longneck” bottle vs. the more angled or slightly conical neck of a Heineken bottle? Or the shorter neck of a stubbier Newcastle bottle?

What about the unique curvy shape of a quite short but wide 11 oz Perrier bottle?

I’m curious about neck lengths, body curves, etc. insofar as to how (if at all) such factors might make performing the effect easier and/or more reliably consistent.

(And is the deeper green of some beer bottles a hindrance or a help?)
For a supernatural chiller mixing magic (prestidigitation, legerdemain) with Magic (occultism, mysticism), check out my novel MAGIC: AN OCCULT THRILLER at http://www.amazon.com/Magic-Occult-Thriller-Reed-Hall/dp/1453874836
Alan Munro
View Profile
Inner circle
Kentwood, Michigan, USA
5952 Posts

Profile of Alan Munro
When in college, over 40 years ago, there were brown beer bottles with straight sides from the shoulder of the bottle. They resembled a type of funnel and worked rather well. Karl Norman gave me a tip, many years ago - pack the groove with white Elmer's Glue, to help keep the band in the groove.
Signet
View Profile
Loyal user
257 Posts

Profile of Signet
I've found that using a Soy Sauce bottle, I think the brand was LA Choy, worked well. The bottle is clear glass with Chinese characters embossed in the glass. It also has a short neck, which worked well for the trick.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Trick coin trickery » » Coin in Bottle: pro tips? (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.01 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL