We Remember The Magic Café We Remember
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » If right you win, if wrong you lose... » » Best Shells? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

stilson
View Profile
New user
78 Posts

Profile of stilson
I was wondering what you recommend as the best shells for the three shell game? I don't like the shiny gold shells, but prefer shells that actually look like shells.
Jim Wilder
View Profile
Special user
Birmingham, AL
954 Posts

Profile of Jim Wilder
I use scarab beetle shells from the School For Scoundrels. Though there are many reputable dealers out there, personally, I like the selection from SFS. Smile
Harry Murphy
View Profile
Inner circle
Maryland
5271 Posts

Profile of Harry Murphy
You might try the search function. This topic has been discussed several times on the Café. Rather than start a new thread simply add to one of the existing ones.

For example, check out:

http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/viewt......orum=115

or

http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/viewt......forum=96

or even,

or try,

There are dozens more, but you get the idea.
The artist formally known as Mumblepeas!
trenchant
View Profile
New user
54 Posts

Profile of trenchant
I have La Maggiore shells and the magnetic Street Shells offered by School for Scoundrels. I think both are great sets. They look exactly like real shells.
TheAmbitiousCard
View Profile
Eternal Order
Northern California
13339 Posts

Profile of TheAmbitiousCard
Either get SFS or La Maggiore. I personally like the LM shells just because of the look. They look the most realistic to me. Functionaly they are both great.

LM shells are bigger.

... and read the other threads.

The one thing I notice about people that don't know about shells yet is that they completely misunderstand what the "chanin dip" is and confuse it with something else. if you go to http://www.threeshellgame.com there is a page that tells you all that stuff without having to sift thru hundreds of posts, many of which still don't have the right info..

Or you might be lucky enough to run into Whit Hayden or Andrew Pinard here or there.
www.theambitiouscard.com Hand Crafted Magic
Trophy Husband, Father of the Year Candidate,
Chippendale's Dancer applicant, Unofficial World Record Holder.
bishthemagish
View Profile
Inner circle
6036 Posts

Profile of bishthemagish
Lately I have been using the copper shells and the thimble rig sets both from Whit and his School of Scoundrels. The work very well and are the finest sets I have used.

By the way Frank Starsini - I have been using your saddle bags since I got them and love them. They have been one of the best investments I have made in magic in a long time...
Glenn Bishop Cardician

Producer of the DVD Punch Deal Pro

Publisher of Glenn Bishop's Ace Cutting And Block Transfer Triumphs
sleightly
View Profile
Elite user
New Hampshire
500 Posts

Profile of sleightly
You can see the La Maggiore shells on the cover of this month's Magic Magazine (along with some guy named Bob Sheets)...

I second the kudos from Glenn for Frank Starsinic's Pouch... Exceptional value at a great price!

Thanks to everyone for the kind words...

ajp
Tom G
View Profile
Inner circle
2614 Posts

Profile of Tom G
I use and like the LM shells. I have small hands and have no problem handling these shells. Since they are the first I purchased and I'm happy with them, I can't offer opinions on others. I do agree with the original poster... my preference is shells that look like shells.
MJ Marrs
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Angeles
1075 Posts

Profile of MJ Marrs
I have a set from Whit Haydn's School for Scoundrels that I'm very happy with. The shell game isn't part of my working repetoire right now, but I still enjoy playing with it from time to time.

By the way, I'm going to see Whit perform at the W.C. Fields bar tonight (Magic Castle). Yippeeee!!!
Pete Biro
View Profile
1933 - 2018
18560 Posts

Profile of Pete Biro
That was a good show last night. Nice to have met you. Did you contact Porper yet?
STAY TOONED... @ www.pete-biro.com
MJ Marrs
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Angeles
1075 Posts

Profile of MJ Marrs
I'm sorry Mr. Biro, but a last minute phone call (I've got to learn to turn off my cell phone on the nights I plan on going to the house on the hill) had me rushing off to cover a gig for a friend. Must have been my twin brother you met last night.

Anyways, I hope to meet you someday. Take care.
Burrich
View Profile
Loyal user
214 Posts

Profile of Burrich
I have the Street Shells and love them. I haven't used the La Maggiore set but I'm happy with the street shells. The chanin dip gives a great advantage and the perfect peas are obviously absolutely perfect. I may get the La Maggiore set later on but I think that whichever one you get you will later want to buy the other set.

Steven.
Riley
View Profile
Special user
Darlington UK
911 Posts

Profile of Riley
Quote:
On 2004-07-19 11:20, magical_steve wrote:
.... I may get the La Maggiore set later on but I think that whichever one you get you will later want to buy the other set.

You will. Buy the other set sooner rather than later. Both sets are brilliant and if I had to part with just one set I don't know what I'd do! And . . if you don't have Bob Sheets video Absolutely Nuts then give yourself a real treat and buy it. Really good stuff!

Enjoy.

Riley
Burrich
View Profile
Loyal user
214 Posts

Profile of Burrich
I do have Bob Sheets vid and yes its brilliant. The acquitment is worth the video, no mistake. I probably will get the La Maggiore set later as I'm a bit low on cash at the minute.

Thanks for the tip,

Steven.
gerard1973
View Profile
Special user
Michigan, U.S.A.
688 Posts

Profile of gerard1973
Stilson,

Go to the The School for Scoundrels or the http://www.threeshellgame.com websites.

Both of these online stores carry the better Three Shell Game sets and they also have books, videos, and DVDs on the Three Shell Game. Both stores have several different types of Three Shell Game sets for you to choose from.

I would also do a search in the Magic Café forums or use the links suggest above to find out what advice the Magic Café members can give you.
"Confusion is not magic."
Dai Vernon
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » If right you win, if wrong you lose... » » Best Shells? (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.22 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL