The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricks & Effects » » Bill Goldman's Boomerang (1 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2~3~4 [Next]
Neoglobin
View Profile
Elite user
460 Posts

Profile of Neoglobin
Anyone get this yet?

Interesting description on http://www.bgmagic.com, almost too good.

I know sometimes Bill doesn't include stuff in his description, so I would like to know more before I dish out $20.

Thanks.
Magically Yours,

Neoglobin.
Craig Crossman
View Profile
Special user
Palm Beach, Florida
520 Posts

Profile of Craig Crossman
Neo,

I ordered it the day it was released. But I have yet to receive it. When I do, I'll post a review.
Neoglobin
View Profile
Elite user
460 Posts

Profile of Neoglobin
Thanks, looking forward to it.
Magically Yours,

Neoglobin.
Craig Crossman
View Profile
Special user
Palm Beach, Florida
520 Posts

Ok, I just received Boomerang and I was able to do it immediately after reading the 5 page pamphlet I received. There are just two photos and two drawings in the printed explanation. No card skill, no gaffs nor any sleight-of-hand is needed.

Effect:
You first write down the value of a card as a prediction on a slip of paper, fold it and hand it to a spectator. You then ask them to call out a number less than 52. After doing so, using an ORDINARY DECK OF CARDS, you proceed to count to that number dealing off the cards FACE UP. When you arrive at the FACE UP card at their number, you ask them to read aloud the prediction. And of course, the card at the number they called out it is exactly the card you predicted on the paper!

Summary:
This is a very clever effect and is performed almost exactly as it is written above (which is the basically the same as it is written by the author). There is one "move" but it is so natural that I really wouldn't consider it to be a "move."

That said and since there is no suggestion of any sleight-of-hand, I will use this primarily when I'm asked to do an impromptu demonstration with an ordinary deck and none of my materials are handy. Boomerang has the potential to be something that can make a lasting impression if performed as a feat of mentalism and not as a "card trick." This very thought is suggested by the author in the Boomerang pamphlet because there is no "pick a card, any card" aspect within Boomerang.

As with most anything, it's all in the presentation. I'm sorry to say that I've seen classics like Out of This World butchered simply because it was presented as a card trick. As a mentalist who uses playing cards, I say that this is a terrifc effect. Make them think that something more is going on and with things like Boomerang and OOTW, you can start a religion.

I give Boomerang a rating of four out of five playing cards.

:)
Neoglobin
View Profile
Elite user
460 Posts

Profile of Neoglobin
How does it compare to Yousif Salhab's Impression (if you have it)? I use it regularly, and it seems to work great!
Magically Yours,

Neoglobin.
Craig Crossman
View Profile
Special user
Palm Beach, Florida
520 Posts

Neo, I don't have Impression so I can't comment.
Neoglobin
View Profile
Elite user
460 Posts

Profile of Neoglobin
No problem. I thought this trick would generate a lot of interest, as did two for the show.
Magically Yours,

Neoglobin.
sir_hugo
View Profile
Regular user
104 Posts

Profile of sir_hugo
PalmBeachGuy - your review implies that you can do this with someone else's shuffled deck as soon as it is handed to you. Is this the case?

Cheers

Tom
Craig Crossman
View Profile
Special user
Palm Beach, Florida
520 Posts

Tom,

Yes, you can do this with someone else's shuffled deck as soon as it is handed to you. However you do have to "set" it which only takes a moment. As I said in my review near the beginning of this thread, I don't like to do any moves, so I set it before I begin. But if you are good with cards, you can set it on the fly. In fact, that is how Bill performs it and he says so at the beginning of the Boomerang pamphlet.
david_a_whitehead
View Profile
Inner circle
USA
2122 Posts

Profile of david_a_whitehead
This sounds very very similar to yousif's routine. if you do "no sleights" but you do a "move" I think bill goldman and yousif should converse.
Josho
View Profile
Special user
Albany, New York
763 Posts

Profile of Josho
PalmBeachGuy,

Quick question: you mention writing down the value of the card. Do you mean the entire identity of the card (such as 5 of Diamonds), or ONLY the value as opposed to the suit and value (such as "5")?

Thanks,
Josh
joeKing
View Profile
Special user
United States
979 Posts

Profile of joeKing
I agree with you, David, but knowing Goldman's style I would believe the move would be like a subtle move (his "move" in one for the money is what I am talking about)...When I first read this I was immediately thinking bottom deal, butI don't think Bill would release something like that and say it is his BEST effect.

I have a question though...Could you drag the effect out? Meaning after one card is placed face down (the one at the spectator's number) could you show the rest of the cards that were not dealt to drive up suspense, and then finally reveal the face down cards?
~joeKing
mattisdx
View Profile
Inner circle
1614 Posts

Profile of mattisdx
Is the "move" a bottom deal ?
Craig Crossman
View Profile
Special user
Palm Beach, Florida
520 Posts

Ok gentleman, let's see if I can address each of your questions.

Josho, you can write down the ENTIRE identity of the card such as "Five of Diamonds." There is NO ambiguity. You predict the EXACT card.

JoeKing, you don't have to place ANY cards face down! They can be all face up right up to the number selected card (and beyond as well)! In fact, I do show a few face up cards past the numbered card just to show that they could have stopped at any place! It's beautiful. But if you WANT to place the one card at the selected number face down, that is up to you. So if you want to drag out the suspense, Boomerang will work regardless. However, I believe the strength here is that the cards, including the number selected card, are all being shown face UP so as to dispel any thoughts that something may be hidden or switched (which it is not!). This is a FREE choice! You count directly to their card! That's the beauty here! Why complicate it? I believe that the SIMPLICITY of the count and revelation is a major part of Boomerang's strength!

Mattisdx, I said there are no sleights. A bottom deal would most certainly qualify as one of those. No bottom deals are used.

Hopefully this answers your questions, and nothing is given away other than what it is NOT. As I said earlier, this effect rocks.

mattisdx
View Profile
Inner circle
1614 Posts

Profile of mattisdx
That sounds like an all out Miracle ! Smile
YousifS
View Profile
Regular user
USA
194 Posts

Profile of YousifS
Hi guys,

I purchased this, and will see how it compares to Impression, for all you Impression owners. It usually takes a week to get my items from Bill, so I will let you know then!

Take care,

Yousif
Necromancer
View Profile
Inner circle
Chicago
3041 Posts

Profile of Necromancer
Quote:
On 2004-07-12 10:37, david_a_whitehead wrote:
This sounds very very similar to yousif's routine. if you do "no sleights" but you do a "move" I think bill goldman and yousif should converse.

If Goldman is using Clayton Rawson's Force That Couldn't Be Done (The Jinx, Volume 1), I doubt that he needs to consult with Yousif, as it's not his to permit or withhold.
Creator of The Xpert (20 PAGES of reviews!) and the Hands-Off Multiple ESP System ("Quality and design far exceed any ESP cards on the market"-Genii), and contributor to the ebook GOLD: When It HAS To Be Performance GOLD -- all at Penguin.
YousifS
View Profile
Regular user
USA
194 Posts

Profile of YousifS
Yes, I really doubt its the same method as Impression.
Larry Davidson
View Profile
Inner circle
Potomac, MD
5267 Posts

Profile of Larry Davidson
PalmBeachGuy, in your opinion, what's the strength of this method vs. using a Pop-Eyed Popper Deck besides the fact that this uses a normal deck (for me, that's not a selling point).

Larry Davidson
joeKing
View Profile
Special user
United States
979 Posts

Profile of joeKing
I am going to pick this up...I'll let you guys know how it is.
~joeKing
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricks & Effects » » Bill Goldman's Boomerang (1 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2~3~4 [Next]
X
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.16 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL