The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricks & Effects » » Bill Goldman's Boomerang (1 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4 [Next]
david_a_whitehead
View Profile
Inner circle
USA
2122 Posts

Profile of david_a_whitehead
Quote:
On 2004-07-12 12:25, Necromancer wrote:
Quote:
On 2004-07-12 10:37, david_a_whitehead wrote:
This sounds very very similar to yousif's routine. if you do "no sleights" but you do a "move" I think bill goldman and yousif should converse.

If Goldman is using Clayton Rawson's Force That Couldn't Be Done (The Jinx, Volume 1), I doubt that he needs to consult with Yousif, as it's not his to permit or withhold.

I agree with you neil.
Craig Crossman
View Profile
Special user
Palm Beach, Florida
520 Posts

Profile of Craig Crossman
Quote:
On 2004-07-12 12:52, Larry Davidson wrote:
PalmBeachGuy, in your opinion, what's the strength of this method vs. using a Pop-Eyed Popper Deck besides the fact that this uses a normal deck (for me, that's not a selling point).

Larry Davidson

Larry,
Well for one thing, it uses a complete deck of 52 cards, no duplicates. So as you are counting the single cards one by one (unlike the Popper) face up onto the table, it is VERY open. Remember that they see all the cards FACE UP. You couldn't do that with the Popper deck.

And there's none of the counting and then using the NEXT card if it doesn't land on the force Popper card. The number of the card IS THAT CARD. It's just a whole lot CLEANER this way. In the end, you can use the deck for something else.

As I said, I will use this when I DON'T have any of my gaffs available and for an impromptu effect, it's killer.

:)
ivfour
View Profile
Loyal user
Texas
233 Posts

Profile of ivfour
PalmBeachGuy,
Thanks, for the well done info and answers to the questions.
Jerry Smile
bekralik
View Profile
Inner circle
Canada
1120 Posts

Profile of bekralik
I just received it today and I have both effects in question. The work is practically identical to Impression, unfortunately. The presentation is a bit different, but methodologically speaking, I don't see much of a difference. Sucks to be me.

I do not have Clayton Rawson's version so I cannot make a comment on that method.

Brian
Larry Davidson
View Profile
Inner circle
Potomac, MD
5267 Posts

Profile of Larry Davidson
Quote:
On 2004-07-12 14:15, PalmBeachGuy wrote:
Remember that they see all the cards FACE UP. You couldn't do that with the Popper deck.

Actually, you can. You deal a card at a time (really a pair) and then seperate on the card before the named number. For example, if the spectator says "5," you deal one card (pair), a second card (pair), a third card (pair), and then truly deal a single fourth card separating the pair. The fifth card you deal will be a f*r*e card. If the spectator names a high number, instead of dealing the cards face up in a pile, you can simply move them from the face of the deck to the back.

The beauty of using the Pop-Eyed Popper Deck is that you can overhand shuffle (it won't disturb pairs), and after the spectator names a number, you can ask the spectator if he wants you to count face up or face down! If he says face down, you simply separate at the exact number versus one card before.

Larry D.

P.S. - I recall that this is the exact method that Phil Goldstein used when he performed a "birthday card" effect on the Merv Griffin show in the 70's. Now if I could just remember what I ate for lunch today. Smile
Craig Crossman
View Profile
Special user
Palm Beach, Florida
520 Posts

Larry,

I tried to be clear but I guess I missed. I KNOW you can do it with Popper. But in no way will Popper be as clean and as OPEN as Boomerang.

I will use this primarily when I don't have gaffs available and asked to do something amazing. I have a set of effects that I use when called upon spontaneously and Out of This World with my twist ending is one of them. I plan to add Boomerang to my ungaffed, impromptu set.

And I feel that Boomerang is a LOT cleaner and subliminally more amazing than Popper. Remember that you can't see the FACES of EVERY card using Popper, whereas you CAN and do with Boomerang. I just feel that it is a LOT stronger and will leave a more lasting impression.

Larry Davidson
View Profile
Inner circle
Potomac, MD
5267 Posts

Profile of Larry Davidson
Quote:
On 2004-07-12 18:15, PalmBeachGuy wrote:
Larry,

I tried to be clear but I guess I missed.

Actually, maybe I missed. Smile I'll definitely check out this effect.
Craig Crossman
View Profile
Special user
Palm Beach, Florida
520 Posts

Quote:

Actually, maybe I missed. Smile I'll definitely check out this effect.

Well I think you will like it. But as you can see by some of the posted messages, some are claiming that it's like some other effects out there. As they are unfamiliar to me, I can't comment on those effects and if this encroaches on them. But all that aside, Boomerang does what it says it will do, and does it in a clever manner.

I guess you have to be the judge whether it's something you like and if it's right for you. But then again, aren't most things that way in this endeavor?
mattisdx
View Profile
Inner circle
1614 Posts

Profile of mattisdx
Is it possible to let the spectator deal the cards face up until their chosen number ?
Craig Crossman
View Profile
Special user
Palm Beach, Florida
520 Posts

Quote:
On 2004-07-13 01:37, mattisdx wrote:
Is it possible to let the spectator deal the cards face up until their chosen number ?

Mattisdx,

Wow, you really DO want a miracle, don't you? Ha! Ok...

Boomerang as it is described requires that YOU hold the cards and do the counting out loud as you carefully lay each card on the table... BUT...

After reading your question, I thought about it and I can now see how I could let someone deal the cards out themselves... It would have some risk involved but if you presented it carefully, I believe you really could get away with it!

The more I think about this, the more I can see how I could adapt it to work in their hands! I would have to stop them counting for a moment with a perfectly valid reason. And I have already come up with a good one of those. Then we would continue the count, again with them holding the deck!

Yes, it would be risky, but I believe I could pull it off! I'm going to give it a try and I'll let you know how it goes. This is very cool! Ideas like these are one of the reasons I love this stuff!

Joel Givens
View Profile
New user
60 Posts

Profile of Joel Givens
I just recieved Boomerang, and it is almost identical to a trick Barrie Richardson sells in his lecture. it is a card at any number, using amost the same set up and method of getting the card at the location. if you were looking at both Boomerang and the Barrie Richardson trick , you would be looking at practically the same thing, I cant talk any further about it without exposing the methods , but they are very similar.
Necromancer
View Profile
Inner circle
Chicago
3041 Posts

Profile of Necromancer
Quote:
On 2004-07-13 02:48, Joel Givens wrote:
I just recieved Boomerang, and it is almost identical to a trick Barrie Richardson sells in his lecture. it is a card at any number, using amost the same set up and method of getting the card at the location. if you were looking at both Boomerang and the Barrie Richardson trick , you would be looking at practically the same thing, I cant talk any further about it without exposing the methods , but they are very similar.

Richardson's Any Card At Any Number using this principle can be found in his book, Theater of the Mind, page 257. However, Boomerang isn't ANY card (which is a more complex challenge), it's merely a prediction of one card. In that respect, it may most closely resemble the second half of Richardson's Close-Up Memory Demonstration, page 107.
Creator of The Xpert (20 PAGES of reviews!) and the Hands-Off Multiple ESP System ("Quality and design far exceed any ESP cards on the market"-Genii), and contributor to the ebook GOLD: When It HAS To Be Performance GOLD -- all at Penguin.
Neoglobin
View Profile
Elite user
460 Posts

Profile of Neoglobin
"The work is practically identical to Impression, unfortunately. "

Thank you, you just saved me $20. I am currently happy using Impression, anyway.
Magically Yours,

Neoglobin.
Joel Givens
View Profile
New user
60 Posts

Profile of Joel Givens
Nope, the Card at any number I am referring to isn't in his book , which I have. I am referring to a seperate set of notes sold at lectures by Mr Richardson, yes his is a card at any number and Boomerang isn't , but other than Mr Richardson gettting the card into postion right in front of you and Boomerang already having the Prediction card in location , the trick is practically the same.
mattisdx
View Profile
Inner circle
1614 Posts

Profile of mattisdx
So once again with Boomerang, according to Joel Givens, you can let the spectator handle the deck. To me that's an incredibly much stronger effect. Next to real psychic abilities, this sounds amazing.
Joel Givens
View Profile
New user
60 Posts

Profile of Joel Givens
I never said in any post that the spectator deals the cards, the magician deals the cards in both tricks.
bekralik
View Profile
Inner circle
Canada
1120 Posts

Profile of bekralik
I think PalmBeachGuy said that, not Joel.

I'm pretty sure that Impression has the spectator dealing the cards. And as mentioned by PBG, so can Boomerang, (both with proper spectator management). But I think if one deals slowly and deliberately enough, nobody would suspect sleight of hand, anyhow.

NeoGlobin: We all take one for the team at some point. If I were more pushy I could probably get my cash back, but, eh, whaddaya gonna do?

Brian
Neoglobin
View Profile
Elite user
460 Posts

Profile of Neoglobin
And I thank you bekralik. Hopefully in the future I can take one for the team for you? Smile
Magically Yours,

Neoglobin.
Joel Givens
View Profile
New user
60 Posts

Profile of Joel Givens
For the record, the manuscript that Barrie sells seperatly at his lectures is call " Barrie Richardsons Impromptu Card at Any Number", I just found mine on the shelf, hope this helps
Neoglobin
View Profile
Elite user
460 Posts

Profile of Neoglobin
Well, I found the setup and the way the method is is just like impression. Id just buy Impression Card Prediction from Hocus Pocus for $10.
Magically Yours,

Neoglobin.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricks & Effects » » Bill Goldman's Boomerang (1 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4 [Next]
X
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.18 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL