We Remember The Magic Café We Remember
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The side walk shuffle » » GAZZO books (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6 [Next]
cstreet_1986
View Profile
Loyal user
263 Posts

Profile of cstreet_1986
Does anyone know where I can get hold of Read Between The One Lines, or if you have one to sell to me, please contact me at cstreet2468@aol.com or leave a post here. Thanks,

Chris
Rupert Bair
View Profile
Inner circle
?
2112 Posts

Profile of Rupert Bair
Where are you from?
cstreet_1986
View Profile
Loyal user
263 Posts

Profile of cstreet_1986
I'm from Wales, UK. If you are looking to sell, feel free to e-mail me at cstreet_1986@hotmail.com with your price.

Thanks,

Chris
mslj
View Profile
New user
Bradford, England
95 Posts

Profile of mslj
Chris

The Read Between the Lines book was available during the Gazzo tour of the UK. In was printed in that form for the tour.

I am presently working on the revised and updated edition which hopefully will be out in a couple of months. I'll keep you informed.

Simon
Rupert Bair
View Profile
Inner circle
?
2112 Posts

Profile of Rupert Bair
I've emailed you.
Simon how come you're working on a revised one not Gazzo?
Matt
mslj
View Profile
New user
Bradford, England
95 Posts

Profile of mslj
I'm working on Gazzo as well, will be finished any day now!
Mario Morris
View Profile
Inner circle
Mario Morris
2044 Posts

Profile of Mario Morris
Quote:
On 2004-08-06 17:39, Sir T wrote:
So, what do you get? The Art of Krowd keeping is a small pamplet, not really a book, running 31 pages. The topics covered are:

Hi T
I don’t understand much of what you said but most of all the above. You immediately follow this statement, with the heading each of the 20+ Chapters. If this is a small pamphlet well they must be very big around where your at. To add to that pamphlets don’t come with chapters as you out laid them.
In regards to what you can get out of "The Art Of Krowd Keeping" A lot more than you can get out of a pamphlet. There are not many books that come in at such good value as this one. The Royal Touch which is a great book cost me $120. and only a small part of it have I applied. For the fraction of the price, "The Art of Krowd Keeping" I have applied all of what I have read, simply because it is easy to read. I have been perfoming streets now for 15 years, one thing I have learnt is keep it simple.
Sir T
View Profile
Special user
537 Posts

Profile of Sir T
Hey Mario, what I wrote is one man's thoughts on The Art of keeping the Crowd. Below you will find the terms as defined

pam·phlet

A short essay or treatise, usually on a current topic, published without a binding.

The Art of keeping a Krowd is not bound, it is stapled, those I refer to it as a Pamhlet and it is a short Treatise running 31 pages. It is not ment as an insult, it was me offering a detailed reveiw of the material.

Chapter:
One of the main divisions of a relatively lengthy piece of writing, such as a book, that is usually numbered or titled.

I never refer to the topics covered as chapters because, they do not fit the definition of a chapter IMHO, offering up a few paragrarhs on a topic is not a chapter. For Example:

What tricks should I do? 5 paragraphs or 29 lines (not sentences)

Rountining : 3 paragraphs or 20 lines (n/s)

Brother can you spare a line: 2 paragraphs and a plug for another book or 12 lines (n/s)

I could go on, but I think my point is made on why, I do not refer to them as chapters.

You say in your post:

In regards to what you can get out of "The Art Of Krowd Keeping" A lot more than you can get out of a pamphlet. There are not many books that come in at such good value as this one. The Royal Touch which is a great book cost me $120. and only a small part of it have I applied. For the fraction of the price, "

By all means Please be specific, that is a pretty broad generalization. What did you get out of and use from, "The Art of Krowd Keeping, " THAT was not in The Royal Touch?

I mention in my post on this book:

Each topic is covered and Gazzo's points are made. I think those that buy this will find a good read and some nice pictures of Gazzo's in his younger days.

I can recommand this book......

I totally agree with what you said:

I have applied all of what I have read, simply because it is easy to read. I have been perfoming streets now for 15 years, one thing I have learnt is keep it simple.

I would also like to point out That the co_author agrees with much of what I wrote, so I am not sure what your point of disagreement is?

Respectfully,

ME
JamesinLA
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Angeles
3400 Posts

Profile of JamesinLA
Sir T,
That's the second time you've said the author agrees with you. Who cares if an author agrees with you? That is a hollow arguement. Make your own points.

I won't even get into the binding of "Krowd Keepers," which is ridiculous. It's not stapeled in one corner like a school paper. It is bound. Yes, with staples, but nicely bound nontheless.

Jim
Oh, my friend we're older but no wiser, for in our hearts the dreams are still the same...
Sir T
View Profile
Special user
537 Posts

Profile of Sir T
James in LA it would appear you are unable to read the words: "CO-Author" as noted on the inside cover of the art of keeping the krowd:

"Written by Danny Hustle with James E Wells"

Please refer to what Danny Hustle posted:
Quote:
Quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------


On 2004-08-07 18:15, Sir T wrote:
However this does not change my feelings on the book and after reading Gazzo book on the cup and ball, I would have passed on the art of keeping a krowd, as the cup and ball has more complete information on busking. A review to follow.




--------------------------------------------------------------------------------



Sir T,

Probably to the surprise of many considering I am a co-author of the Krowd Keepers book I do not disagree with this statement.

Gazzo's new cups and balls book written with Simon is not only an excellent reference for the trick proper it is one of the best nuggets on busking I have ever read.

For someone who has some experience working the street I would say pass right by Krowd Keepers and head straight at the cups book.

The cups book isn't good, it is great!

I also agree with your comments about the uncensored tape. Unfortunately, most people who do not know what they are watching fast forward right by the thirty minute part that I and probably you find to be the meat and potatoes of the entire tape. The section where Gazzo is crowd building at the ren faire.

The only defense I will provide for Krowd Keepers is this: It was designed to be read by magicians who have some performance experience but have never worked the street. You have worked the street and much of the book probably seemed obvious to you. Jim, Gazzo, and I wanted to provide a nuts and bolts primer for those wanting to get out there and try it.

As far as lines go I agree with you, it would have been nice to include some more in the book. They were purposely left out so that they could be marketed as a separate item.

The reason for this was not commercial, it was decided to be done that way so that those who just wanted the lines did not have to pay more for the inclusion of Krowd Keepers.

Gazzo and I kicked around the idea of combining both books and Gazzo thought that his cups book would be a better place for them. In the cups book you get every line he does during the cups plus a few from other parts of the act.

The cups book also includes a ton of information on busking. A lot of it I feel might be less obvious to someone new to the street and they might miss the gold mine contained within. Much like missing the crowd building section of the uncensored tape.

The reason I say that is because I know it is the stuff I would have missed before I got out on the street and fell on my face a couple of times.

I think Krowd Keepers fills that gap quite nicely. Perhaps in the future Gazzo might combine the Lines book with Krowd Keepers and it will be a more complete text instead of the lecture note format it is now in. Krowd Keeper was written to be lecture notes and not so much a "book".

You know, now that I think of it if he decides to reprint he could combine all three books and I think that would be a book anyone would want to have. Krowd Keepers as a forward section, the cups as the center, and the lines at the end. I know I'd buy it.

Anyway, great thoughts and an honest opinion. I'm glad your overall impression of the booklet was positive. Thanks for sharing them.

Best,

Dan-

I have made my points James! I have posted a review and defined my terms for the sake of being clear. The fact that the author agrees with much of what I wrote is not a hollow argument, it only shows my points are valid and that I put honest thought in my own review and post on this subject.

James you point out:

"I won't even get into the binding of "Krowd Keepers," which is ridiculous."

That is fair, but then no one can say, I am not being honest when I call it a pamhlet:

pam·phlet

A short essay or treatise, usually on a current topic, published "without a binding"

My point is made not only by my words, but by your own words, you did not bind it, which is your right.

My points are clear it is others who wish to debate terms.

Respectfully,

Me

PS Overall I do recommand this book, I only pointed out areas, I felt were lacking. Others disagree, which is fine. I think it is healthy good debate.
JamesinLA
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Angeles
3400 Posts

Profile of JamesinLA
Yes, T, you have made your points. I am happy to have your opinion. The last thing I want is everyone agree with everyone in the land of the happy people.

Once again, however, I believe it's lame to say "I'm right because someone agrees with me." I think your opinions and your logic should stand on their own. Not because others agree with you or not.

I have no idea by what you mean "You did not bind it." And I have no interest in discussing whether something is bound with staples, or spiral bound, or glued with a hand-tooled leather cover. Who cares.

I'm glad you recommend it overall.

Jim
Oh, my friend we're older but no wiser, for in our hearts the dreams are still the same...
Mario Morris
View Profile
Inner circle
Mario Morris
2044 Posts

Profile of Mario Morris
(Sir T wrote:
The Art of keeping a Krowd is not bound, it is stapled, those I refer to it as a Pamphlet and it is a short Treatise running 31 pages. It is not meant as an insult, it was me offering a detailed review of the material)

Mr T
Speaking to my Friend Mr Book-Binder for 45 years, tells me you are incorrect. Books can be and are bound by staple, this is understood amongst Book-Binders and by publishers, regardless to our own oppion.

(Sir T wrote:
By all means Please be specific, that is a pretty broad generalization. What did you get out of and use from, "The Art of Krowd Keeping, " THAT was not in The Royal Touch?)

Thank you for helping me to define my point.
"The Royal Touch" I did not say it was not in there, did I? Rather I found it comprehensive to the point where things got clouded. "The Art of Krowd Keeping" is a book you can apply straight away. It is only after reading "The Art of Krowd Keeping" that I finally was able to understand more of "The Royal Touch"

(Sir T wrote:
I never refer to the topics covered as chapters because, they do not fit the definition of a chapter IMHO, offering up a few paragraphs on a topic is not a chapter.)

I never said you referred to them as chapters, I referred to them as chapters. As for the statement(not sentences) Well maybe you got a missprint because my copy has sentences through out the book.

To be frank Mr T your one man thoughts, as you put it come across as angry. Little statements like "small pamphlet" just serves to be-little this book. If this was a pamphlet it is a BIG ONE. I can not help but to think this is personal to you. I glad to see you recommended this book but it seems to come through gritted teeth.
One man's thoughts
Mario
P.S This may not be your intention, I am just saying the way you come across to me.
Sir T
View Profile
Special user
537 Posts

Profile of Sir T
Mario Morris said:
Quote:
Speaking to my friend Mr Book-Binder for 45 years, tells me you are incorrect. Books can be and are bound by staple, this is understood amongst Book-Binders and by publishers, regardless to our own oppion.


This is not what I was told nor was it my understanding, which as I point out is why, I referred to this in the manner in which I did. If I am incorrect, I now stand corrected. It was not meant as an insult, if one goes by the definitions, I was using with my understanding of the words as given.
Quote:
To be frank Mr T your one man thoughts, as you put it come across as angry. Little statements like "small pamphlet" just serves to belittle this book. If this was a pamphlet it is a BIG ONE. I can not help but to think this is personal to you. I glad to see you recommended this book but it seems to come through gritted teeth. One man's thoughts

This is not my intention, I wrote what I felt and still feel is an honest review, I pointed out positive items as well as areas that I felt were lacking. I do not know the authors in any way shape or form, I have no axe to grind.
Quote:
As Danny Hustle points out in his comments: great thoughts and an honest opinion. I'm glad your overall impression of the booklet was positive. Thanks for sharing them.

I am not sure, how I come off sound angry? I have really tried to give an unbiased review, presented examples to show where I was coming from and my thought process on book vs Pamphlet, chapters vs. topics.

(on the subject of lines vs sentences, I just counted the total lines, giving credit for a line even if that line only had one word in it, so the line total is different than the sentence total)

No, I do not recommended this book through gritted teeth. I said up front in my first posting:

A light read, with good information in it.

Each topic is covered and Gazzo's points are made. I think those who buy this will find a good read and some nice pictures of Gazzo in his younger days.

I can recommend this book, but would have preferred Gazzo's book of lines and this one combined into one book, but that is me.

I hope that this clears things up to some degree.

Respectfully,

Me
Mario Morris
View Profile
Inner circle
Mario Morris
2044 Posts

Profile of Mario Morris
Mr T
Yes it does, to some degree, other than one point is not clear to me in your last statement.
Do you still consider "The art of Krowd Keeping" as a small pamphlet a big pamphlet or a book?
With Thanks
Mario
Rupert Bair
View Profile
Inner circle
?
2112 Posts

Profile of Rupert Bair
My mind is going crazy reading all that. It's like a movie that kees on going back in time!
Mario Morris
View Profile
Inner circle
Mario Morris
2044 Posts

Profile of Mario Morris
Matt you are a funny man, and I like your web-site.
Mario
JamesinLA
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Angeles
3400 Posts

Profile of JamesinLA
One thing to keep in mind about refining anything to its most concise level--be it writing or an magic act for that matter--is that it is harder to arrive at simplicity and brevity than to drone on and on. The famous quote from Voltaire on this matter puts it well. At the end of a letter of Voltaire's, he wrote, "Please excuse the length of this letter but I hadn't the time to write a shorter one."

Jim
Oh, my friend we're older but no wiser, for in our hearts the dreams are still the same...
BroDavid
View Profile
Inner circle
America’s North Coast, Ohio
3177 Posts

Profile of BroDavid
Well said James!

BroDavid
If you stand for nothing, you will fall for anything.
Mario Morris
View Profile
Inner circle
Mario Morris
2044 Posts

Profile of Mario Morris
Well shut-up then.
Mario
Sir T
View Profile
Special user
537 Posts

Profile of Sir T
Mario Morris Ask's

Do you still consider "The art of Krowd Keeping" as a small pamphlet a big pamphlet or a book?

I contacted Random House publishing: http://www.randomhouse.com

My email is below:
To Whom It May Concern;

I am currently in a debate, over how book companies classify books, pamphlets and magazines.

Recently I purchased a book/pamphlet, it runs 31 pages and has two staples holding it together. I refer to this as a pamphlets and not a book, which is causing a bit of an uproar, in a review I recently wrote.

Can you advise me as to what constitutes a book vs. a Pamphlet?

I defined a pamphlet from dictionary.com:

A short essay or treatise, usually on a current topic, published without a binding.

The book in question is titled: The Art of Krowd Keeping by Gazzo.

Thank You for any light you can shed on this issue.

Respectfully,


Random House reply:

If it is a "book" there will be an ISBN, (International Standard Book Number) on the copyright page in the front of the book. The ISBN will also appear on the back of the book above the bar code.

I could not located an ISBN for "The art of Krowd Keeping."

This is my last post on this subject.

Respectfully,

ME
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The side walk shuffle » » GAZZO books (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.32 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL