The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workers » » 10 card packet shuffle back to starting sequence (1 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
supremefiction
View Profile
Loyal user
290 Posts

Profile of supremefiction
Can someone kindly point me to an overhand shuffle-style mix of a 10 card packet, which finishes with the 10 cards in the sequence they started? I know Aldo had one, can't find it. And I can't work it out. Thank you.
Ray J
View Profile
Inner circle
St. Louis, MO
1503 Posts

Profile of Ray J
Not overhand, but I urge you to check out Harry Lorayne's Utility Mixer. Very disarming. Also the Charlier Shuffle. But be aware the Charlier Shuffle will require a cut at the finish to return the cards to their starting position. Not as hard as it sounds.

The Utility Mixer can be found in the excellent publication, More Jaw Droppers!, and is on harryloraynemagic.com.

It can also be found in Jaw Droppers! 2 and in And Finally!...but there's some extra bits of business in More Jaw Droppers.
It's never crowded on the extra mile....
ThomasJ
View Profile
Special user
Chicago
1000 Posts

Profile of ThomasJ
Jack Carpenter's Z Overhand False Shuffle could be easily applied to 10 cards.
supremefiction
View Profile
Loyal user
290 Posts

Thank you.
Ray J
View Profile
Inner circle
St. Louis, MO
1503 Posts

Profile of Ray J
Most any full deck control can be modified to use with 10 cards, or any number of course. The Lift Shuffle, the G.W. Hunter, etc. could all be modified and used. The key is to act nonchalant and avoid any mannerisms which point towards overt control.
It's never crowded on the extra mile....
landmark
View Profile
Inner circle
within a triangle
5194 Posts

Profile of landmark
This overhand shuffle sequence will work for ten cards:

Peel off five singles with the left thumb, then drop the rest of the packet on top.

Repeat for a total of four shuffles. You're back where you started from.
Einmaliger
View Profile
Regular user
Germany
199 Posts

Profile of Einmaliger
That is a very nice idea.
magicthree
View Profile
Special user
620 Posts

Profile of magicthree
With your left thumb take 3 or 4 in a chunk (not one by one), doesn't matter how many, and peel off the rest one by one but count them to yourself. Do another shuffle and peel of cards one by one of the number you remembered and throw the rest on top. My favorite.
Bob G
View Profile
Inner circle
2831 Posts

Profile of Bob G
Lots of good ideas here that will help me, too -- glad you posted, supremefiction.

Ray suggested a Charlier Shuffle. If you want to avoid the cut, do a second Charlier Shuffle.

Bob
supremefiction
View Profile
Loyal user
290 Posts

Good work all around! Thanks. I tried to figure it out (failed) but found that:

Ten card packet, face down in RH--left thumb peel seven, throw rest on top, peel three, throw, peel two, stop. Cards originally in positions 1 through 5 end in positions 6 through 10. Cards originally in positions 6 through 10 end in positions 1 through 5. The result, from the top to bottom is

5 - 4 - 3 - 2- - A - 10 - 9 - 8 - 6 - 7

But . . . if these ten cards are made up of two five-card poker hands (say, for a 10 Card Poker Deal), after the mix both players end up with the same 5 cards they would have had before the mix. So, a false shuffle. A very, very small false shuffle. No doubt Mr. Farmer's comprehensive book on the 10CPD has this or something similar. But thank you all.
Nikodemus
View Profile
Inner circle
1172 Posts

Profile of Nikodemus
Quote:
On May 10, 2023, supremefiction wrote:
Good work all around! Thanks. I tried to figure it out (failed) but found that:

Ten card packet, face down in RH--left thumb peel seven, throw rest on top, peel three, throw, peel two, stop. Cards originally in positions 1 through 5 end in positions 6 through 10. Cards originally in positions 6 through 10 end in positions 1 through 5. The result, from the top to bottom is

5 - 4 - 3 - 2- - A - 10 - 9 - 8 - 6 - 7

But . . . if these ten cards are made up of two five-card poker hands (say, for a 10 Card Poker Deal), after the mix both players end up with the same 5 cards they would have had before the mix. So, a false shuffle. A very, very small false shuffle. No doubt Mr. Farmer's comprehensive book on the 10CPD has this or something similar. But thank you all.

I'm not sure that is true. Assuming the cards started off arranged sequentially from Ace to 10, your idea would keep the A-5 as a group, and the 6-10 as a group. BUT it is normal to deal cards alternately, not in bunches of 5 cards at a time. I think the fact that cards 6 and 7 are out of sequence means that the resulting hands would be different from the initial setup

You could just run 5 cards, throw off, run 5 again, throw off again. This will reverse the order of both halves. When you deal alternately, you should get the same hands as the original setup - except, the hands will now go to opposite players from the original setup.

However, my preference would be to go for a shuffle that restores the setup to its exact original state. AND works for packets of different sizes. This will be a a more generic reusable tool.
My first idea was a Hunter style shuffle; but I really like the suggestion from MagicThree
supremefiction
View Profile
Loyal user
290 Posts

Nikodemus, You are exactly correct, thank you. I guess I was thinking I was going to deal five and five, not very authentic.

Yes, MagicThree seems to have won the day, and thanks to all.

Also, when you mentioned the hands will now go to opposite players from the original setup--I took a quick look at the Farmer book and there are a bunch of items there that say, if this is the case you can hand the packet to the spec to deal and this will put things back they way they were.
supremefiction
View Profile
Loyal user
290 Posts

Here is another overhand shuffle sequence that keeps the 10 card stack in exact order.

Ten card packet, face down in RH--left thumb peel four, throw rest on top; peel four, throw rest on top, peel two, throw rest on top. Repeat. Cards originally in positions 1 through 10 end in positions 1 through 10.
supremefiction
View Profile
Loyal user
290 Posts

One can also do the same thing and make it look something like a Charlier Shuffle.

Ten card packet, face down in RH.
1. Left thumb push off four without changing the order, take into palm up right hand.
2. Left thumb push off next four without changing the order, place four on top of cards in right hand
3. Place remaining two cards under cards in right hand.
4. Repeat.

Cards originally in positions 1 through 10 end in positions 1 through 10.
balbec
View Profile
New user
few
62 Posts

Profile of balbec
Note sure if overhand suffling 10 cards is very natural. A nonchalant mix of false cuts / false triple cuts might look better.
Bob G
View Profile
Inner circle
2831 Posts

Profile of Bob G
Hi balbec,

Welcome to the Café! I often have trouble telling what's natural, but I suspect that laypeople expect magicians to do unnatural things. I mean, how often in non-magic life does someone ask us to pick a card, any card?

In his version of the Wild Card in Card College (which he doesn't call "Wild Card"), Roberto Giobbi incorporates a Fred Kaps suggestion to lift shuffle a nine-card packet. And somewhere in his Encyclopedia of Card Sleights, Daryl does an overhand shuffle with a small packet during a trick. Of course, those three people are/were masters who could make *anything* look casual and not of great importance...

Bob
Pyppo100
View Profile
Regular user
166 Posts

Profile of Pyppo100
Quote:
On May 4, 2023, supremefiction wrote:
Can someone kindly point me to an overhand shuffle-style mix of a 10 card packet, which finishes with the 10 cards in the sequence they started? I know Aldo had one, can't find it. And I can't work it out. Thank you.

Hold the packet in the left hand.

Push off three or four cards in a loose pile (without changing their order) and take them into the right hand.

Push off another packet (without changing the order) and take it on top of and outjogged from the first packet.

Place all the cards back on top of the cards remaining in the left hand, the outjogged portion square with those cards.

Pull out the injogged packet (the original top portion) and drop it on top.

Repeat.
balbec
View Profile
New user
few
62 Posts

Profile of balbec
Hi Bob. Well, sure. I did not wanted to go into the naturalness / conditioned naturalness debate here, since one can obviously make a 10 card overhand shuffle looks natural, even without being a master. If not required by the method, I think it would be an overkill, though. With 10 cards, false cuts / triple cuts should be more than enough, especially for someone like the OP who has no prefered technique already. Moreover, it may be simpler to learn, possibly cleaner and more versatile than most methods already suggested here.

Quote:
On Jun 3, 2023, Bob G wrote:
Hi balbec,

Welcome to the Café! I often have trouble telling what's natural, but I suspect that laypeople expect magicians to do unnatural things. I mean, how often in non-magic life does someone ask us to pick a card, any card?

In his version of the Wild Card in Card College (which he doesn't call "Wild Card"), Roberto Giobbi incorporates a Fred Kaps suggestion to lift shuffle a nine-card packet. And somewhere in his Encyclopedia of Card Sleights, Daryl does an overhand shuffle with a small packet during a trick. Of course, those three people are/were masters who could make *anything* look casual and not of great importance...

Bob
Bob G
View Profile
Inner circle
2831 Posts

Profile of Bob G
I guess it's pretty subjective, balbec. Maybe it just comes down to what a particular magician prefers... Anyway, surpremefiction has lots to choose from now!

Bob
supremefiction
View Profile
Loyal user
290 Posts

Great stuff, thanks to all.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workers » » 10 card packet shuffle back to starting sequence (1 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL