The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Magical equations » » Memorizing 4 digit squares (2 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

bitnox
View Profile
New user
8 Posts

Profile of bitnox
I memorized all the 2 digit squares squared . now I in the process of memorizing the multiplication table of 2 digit numbers (11-99) and after it I will want to memorize the the 3 digit squares, and then the 4 digit squares, after it, I will not memorize but be able to do very fast 5-8 digit squared, because 1^2+2ab+b^2, for 8 digits I will do the first 4 digit squares add 8 zeros, then the first 4 digits times the last 4 digits times 2 and add 4 zeros, and then the last 4 digits without zeros, but its long process to memorize all, I have good memory from birth, but trained memory I didn't succeeded to develop yet, and I am on this from april, you have advices ? I saw shimi atias memorize 27 digits in 27 seconds, and I remember all the peg words 1-100, and pull them fast from the memory, the problem with me is that the only thing I don't do fast is the visualization , I don't visualize or imagine fast enough any 2-4 objects, so its take me more time, I am not interested in do what shimi do with the 27 digits in 27 seconds, but I think that if I will be able to visualize clear enough and fast enough, then I will be able to memorize the multiplication and squares I want a lot faster, I can do it slower, but I don't want it to take years, thanks, amit
Philemon Vanderbeck
View Profile
Inner circle
Seattle, WA
4670 Posts

Profile of Philemon Vanderbeck
You probably want to learn a mnemonic peg system.
Professor Philemon Vanderbeck
That Creepy Magician
"I use my sixth sense to create the illusion of possessing the other five."
saxonia
View Profile
Regular user
158 Posts

Profile of saxonia
Quote:
On May 7, 2023, bitnox wrote:
I memorized all the 2 digit squares squared . now I in the process of memorizing the multiplication table of 2 digit numbers (11-99)


This is not something that should be memorized. Train to calculate it quickly instead. Honestly, it's less difficult!
Micha-el
View Profile
Regular user
122 Posts

Profile of Micha-el
The book, "Dead Reckoning: Calculating Without Instruments" can be found on Amazon and will help with some of the stated calculations. The website, https://www.ludism.org/mentat/HomePage has some good memory systems.
Regards,
Barry
bitnox
View Profile
New user
8 Posts

Profile of bitnox
Quote:
On May 26, 2023, Micha-el wrote:
The book, "Dead Reckoning: Calculating Without Instruments" can be found on Amazon and will help with some of the stated calculations. The website, https://www.ludism.org/mentat/HomePage has some good memory systems.
Regards,
Barry


thanks, I will check the memory system on this
bitnox
View Profile
New user
8 Posts

Profile of bitnox
Quote:
On May 22, 2023, saxonia wrote:
Quote:
On May 7, 2023, bitnox wrote:
I memorized all the 2 digit squares squared . now I in the process of memorizing the multiplication table of 2 digit numbers (11-99)


This is not something that should be memorized. Train to calculate it quickly instead. Honestly, it's less difficult!


depend on what is your goal, on speed memory win, my record is to tell 38 2 digit squares in 30 seconds, write 36 2 digit squares in 30 seconds, type 21 2 digit squares in 30 seconds, and tell the first 14 squares , 9 1 digit squares and 5 2 digit squares , 30 digits in 4 seconds, I don't think this speed is possible with calculation, second of all, let's say I will go to level that I can calculate it, its sound strange : someone that can calculate but don't remember the answers, I think the small things have to memorize, and the big things have to calculate and get aids from the small things, its also depend on the person, I have an excelent born memory, I don't have a trained memory, but its look like a trained one because its very good born,
bitnox
View Profile
New user
8 Posts

Profile of bitnox
Quote:
On Jun 2, 2023, bitnox wrote:
Quote:
On May 26, 2023, Micha-el wrote:
The book, "Dead Reckoning: Calculating Without Instruments" can be found on Amazon and will help with some of the stated calculations. The website, https://www.ludism.org/mentat/HomePage has some good memory systems.
Regards,
Barry


thanks, I will check the memory system on this

about the calculation book, read the comment before, I explain why no I don't need to calculat, first to memorize many, then to calculated and use the aids of the facts I memorized
FrankFindley
View Profile
Special user
918 Posts

Profile of FrankFindley
Interesting challenge you have embarked on.

It is very hard to present squares above six digits because calculators run out of digits on their displays. And that is how this type of mental math feat is typically presented, as a time challenge vs. someone with a calculator.

Because you have already memorized the squares of two digits, you are already set to present a fantastic, instantaneous six digit square as a grand finale. All it takes is a little trickery.

Here is my method. Use a transparent f______ b__. In one side have pieces of folded paper with two digit combinations (that is 10 to 99). In the other have multiple slips all with 00 on them. Have three different spectators each pick a slip. Spectator 1 and 3 choose from the 10 to 99 side. Spectator 2 chooses 00. Then have them each write their digits in order on a whiteboard without you and a fourth spectator seeing it. The fourth spectator has a calculator and is going to race you. You will be able to write out the square immediately upon seeing the six digit number they constructed.

The number they create will be in the form of AB00CD. This is a simplified case for six digit squaring. It becomes AB^2 & 2*AB*CD & CD^2 where the '&' symbol represents a concatenation.

For example, say the constructed number is 180065, then:

18^2 = 324
2*18*65 = 2340
65^2 = 4225

so the square is: 324 & 2340 & 4225 = 32,423,404,225

With this method, you will be able to begin writing the answer instantaneously and will probably have the result on the board before the person has it keyed into their calculator. They then will catch up to you and confirm you have the correct answer.

Just by mixing in this little bit of additional magic method, you can start performing this right now. Then when you achieve your goal of memorizing the 3+ digit squares, you can drop the added subterfuge. However, I doubt even with the memorization of the longer squares that you will be able to do it as quickly as the method just described. The addition of the numbers in the 'legit' way takes much longer than the concatenation. So the method described likely produces better theater.

In any case, starting to perform with this method will build up your calculation speed as you have to do the 2*AB*CD bit. Depending on how you do mental calculations, this may be best done in two parts: 2*AB=2AB and 2AB*CD.

Well, if nothing else, I hope this provides a different perspective on performing these larger squares calculations.
bitnox
View Profile
New user
8 Posts

Profile of bitnox
Quote:
On Jun 3, 2023, FrankFindley wrote:
Interesting challenge you have embarked on.

It is very hard to present squares above six digits because calculators run out of digits on their displays. And that is how this type of mental math feat is typically presented, as a time challenge vs. someone with a calculator.

Because you have already memorized the squares of two digits, you are already set to present a fantastic, instantaneous six digit square as a grand finale. All it takes is a little trickery.

Here is my method. Use a transparent f______ b__. In one side have pieces of folded paper with two digit combinations (that is 10 to 99). In the other have multiple slips all with 00 on them. Have three different spectators each pick a slip. Spectator 1 and 3 choose from the 10 to 99 side. Spectator 2 chooses 00. Then have them each write their digits in order on a whiteboard without you and a fourth spectator seeing it. The fourth spectator has a calculator and is going to race you. You will be able to write out the square immediately upon seeing the six digit number they constructed.

The number they create will be in the form of AB00CD. This is a simplified case for six digit squaring. It becomes AB^2 & 2*AB*CD & CD^2 where the '&' symbol represents a concatenation.

For example, say the constructed number is 180065, then:

18^2 = 324
2*18*65 = 2340
65^2 = 4225

so the square is: 324 & 2340 & 4225 = 32,423,404,225

With this method, you will be able to begin writing the answer instantaneously and will probably have the result on the board before the person has it keyed into their calculator. They then will catch up to you and confirm you have the correct answer.

Just by mixing in this little bit of additional magic method, you can start performing this right now. Then when you achieve your goal of memorizing the 3+ digit squares, you can drop the added subterfuge. However, I doubt even with the memorization of the longer squares that you will be able to do it as quickly as the method just described. The addition of the numbers in the 'legit' way takes much longer than the concatenation. So the method described likely produces better theater.

In any case, starting to perform with this method will build up your calculation speed as you have to do the 2*AB*CD bit. Depending on how you do mental calculations, this may be best done in two parts: 2*AB=2AB and 2AB*CD.

Well, if nothing else, I hope this provides a different perspective on performing these larger squares calculations.


Thank you for the advice.
saxonia
View Profile
Regular user
158 Posts

Profile of saxonia
Quote:
On Jun 2, 2023, bitnox wrote:
depend on what is your goal, on speed memory win, my record is to tell 38 2 digit squares in 30 seconds, write 36 2 digit squares in 30 seconds, type 21 2 digit squares in 30 seconds, and tell the first 14 squares , 9 1 digit squares and 5 2 digit squares , 30 digits in 4 seconds, I don't think this speed is possible with calculation, second of all, let's say I will go to level that I can calculate it, its sound strange : someone that can calculate but don't remember the answers, I think the small things have to memorize, and the big things have to calculate and get aids from the small things, its also depend on the person, I have an excelent born memory, I don't have a trained memory, but its look like a trained one because its very good born,


Well, I happen to be the organizer of the Mental Calculation World Cup, and I can tell you that it IS possible to calculate so quickly (just have a look at "multiplication" at https://www.recordholders.org/en/list/mental-calculation-rankings.html).
Please do not get me wrong - I absolutely agree that it is important to know a lot of calculation results by heart. But ideally this knowledge should come from repeated practice, not from learning and mnemotechnics. So first, figure out where shortcuts (binomial theorem, Vedic math sutras, etc.) can be helpful - and regard the need to learn a two-digit multiplication as the last option.

I can also strongly recommend Doerfler's book as well as The Mental Calculators' Handbook (https://amzn.to/3N8SRfw).
bitnox
View Profile
New user
8 Posts

Profile of bitnox
Quote:
On Jun 3, 2023, saxonia wrote:
Quote:
On Jun 2, 2023, bitnox wrote:
depend on what is your goal, on speed memory win, my record is to tell 38 2 digit squares in 30 seconds, write 36 2 digit squares in 30 seconds, type 21 2 digit squares in 30 seconds, and tell the first 14 squares , 9 1 digit squares and 5 2 digit squares , 30 digits in 4 seconds, I don't think this speed is possible with calculation, second of all, let's say I will go to level that I can calculate it, its sound strange : someone that can calculate but don't remember the answers, I think the small things have to memorize, and the big things have to calculate and get aids from the small things, its also depend on the person, I have an excelent born memory, I don't have a trained memory, but its look like a trained one because its very good born,


Well, I happen to be the organizer of the Mental Calculation World Cup, and I can tell you that it IS possible to calculate so quickly (just have a look at "multiplication" at https://www.recordholders.org/en/list/mental-calculation-rankings.html).
Please do not get me wrong - I absolutely agree that it is important to know a lot of calculation results by heart. But ideally this knowledge should come from repeated practice, not from learning and mnemotechnics. So first, figure out where shortcuts (binomial theorem, Vedic math sutras, etc.) can be helpful - and regard the need to learn a two-digit multiplication as the last option.

I can also strongly recommend Doerfler's book as well as The Mental Calculators' Handbook (https://amzn.to/3N8SRfw).


thanks
FrankFindley
View Profile
Special user
918 Posts

Profile of FrankFindley
It really is the addition of the product parts which ramps up the difficulty. Just remembering the product parts is a challenge. That's where the memory mnemonics can come in handy. Watching an experienced mathemagic performer like Arthur Benjamin talk through it is really something to behold.

bitnox
View Profile
New user
8 Posts

Profile of bitnox
Quote:
On Jun 5, 2023, FrankFindley wrote:
It really is the addition of the product parts which ramps up the difficulty. Just remembering the product parts is a challenge. That's where the memory mnemonics can come in handy. Watching an experienced mathemagic performer like Arthur Benjamin talk through it is really something to behold.



thanks
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Magical equations » » Memorizing 4 digit squares (2 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2023 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.08 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL