The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The little darlings » » How to make growing sponge ball? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Powermagic
View Profile
Inner circle
1437 Posts

Profile of Powermagic
Hi
I need to make a custom growing sponge ball from a 4" super soft because they don't make a growing one in the color needed.

I have a growing sponge and notice the hole seems to widen inside and the bottom is rounded.

I assume the sponge is molded that way .

Is there a way I can cut a hole like this?

Anyone make one before that might have some tips?
danfreed
View Profile
Inner circle
West Chester PA
1354 Posts

Profile of danfreed
It will probably work to just cut out the hole with small scissors, little hunks at a time. I've heard some people carve sponge by getting the sponge wet, freezing it, then using a Dremel tool or carving knife, etc to sculpt it. Let us know how it turns out.
tbaer
View Profile
Inner circle
Pennsylvania
2004 Posts

Profile of tbaer
Wouldn't dyeing work? Maybe you would have to bleach it white and then dye it to your color. I'm just thinking out loud.
Powermagic
View Profile
Inner circle
1437 Posts

Profile of Powermagic
I don't think it would come out the color I need if I tried t stipe the color out and dye and the dye might not hold as it would have to be a special dye for that foam. My color needs to be lighter .If it was a darker color than the original, sure, if you could get the color out without degrading the sponge, It might me worth a shot.

As for freezing, Heard of that but my first attempt with a damp ball did not freeze it. I cant have it too wet if it will mishapen it. I would think the dremel would be so hot it would start to melt the frozen part so it would have to be a plan to get it cut fast.

I have a factory one, probably not a goshman and it is very rough inside and a lighter shade of red so not the best match and not as convincing.
So I wonder if you can get a smooth texture with scissors.

I was trying to avoid reinventing the wheel if someone had already made their own and what tips they might have.
Is this the best "room" to post this?
danfreed
View Profile
Inner circle
West Chester PA
1354 Posts

Profile of danfreed
Try contacting Barry Mitchell, he may have what you need or can give you tips. He sometimes has un-dyed sponge balls or unusual colors, etc.
Powermagic
View Profile
Inner circle
1437 Posts

Profile of Powermagic
He does not have what I need.
I tried freezing and it does not work well. It is not freezing HARD... Crunchy but only hard bit was water that collects at the base. I tried saturated and still it seems to settle. I am trying to build layers but really, I think a drill bit is just going to melt it.

I assume scissors would be the attempt but not sure how clean it will come out or what approach to tackle.
TomBoleware
View Profile
Inner circle
Hattiesburg, Ms
3174 Posts

Profile of TomBoleware
Having very sharp scissors helps when cutting a sponge.

Tom
Powermagic
View Profile
Inner circle
1437 Posts

Profile of Powermagic
I did cut one by hand. not bad. you cant take away too much .
Steve Hart
View Profile
Veteran user
Cocoa, FL
388 Posts

Profile of Steve Hart
Has anyone had success in making a normal sponge ball into a super soft ball?

Is there something that have soak them in to make them soft?
www.SteveHartSpeaks.com
www.magic2motivate.com
"Motivational Magicians are some of the highest paid magicians, find out why?"
Frank Yuen
View Profile
Elite user
457 Posts

Profile of Frank Yuen
I think it was in Frank Garcia's Encyclopedia of Sponge Ball Magic that I read a technique where you put your thumb and forefinger opposite each other on the sides of a sponge ball. Press in and pinch with both hands and then pull the center bit that you are pinching apart. Repeat this action moving your fingers around the sponge ball. What you are doing is ripping up the middle of the sponge ball. They won't actually be supersoft but they will compress more than a regular sponge ball.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The little darlings » » How to make growing sponge ball? (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL